1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So with all the fire news, figured I would help my Volt out.

Discussion in 'Chevrolet Volt' started by Roadburner440, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well it seems with all the news of Volts bursting in to flames I thought why not help mine meets its end. I am so worried that it will spontaneously combust I loaded it with cardboard and drove it 17 miles to a recycling facility. :D Amazingly I am still alive. Also it seems my new phone takes better photos than my actual camera.. Now isn't that something?

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

IMAG0011.jpg
    Just threw this in for kicks since it was on my phone. Was one of the last time it was L1 charged. The L2 charger is now attached to the porch behind the car (is only 10 feet away from the power meter/main panel as can be seen in the photo).

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You were lucky! It could have just self combusted at any second. You were taking more of a risk than if you took up Base Jumping as a hobby. :)

Nice looking car though. It came up well on the pictures. I see you got one of those indoor remote helicopters. I had one of those and it was good fun - just don't take it outside!! Last I saw of mine was it whizzing off high over the neighbouring roof tops caught up in the wind :)

3. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Big Cahones Amigo, glad you survives without bursting into flames!
    Plus you are recycling, another +.
    I think you should draw the line at a gal of gas for the lawnmower however, you don't want to push that luck thing!!!

4. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good looking car and nice phone too. Be sure and post pics of you going off a mountain in a flying suit, you will need another adrenalin rush real soon.:D

5. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Those pictures are great, what kind of phone?

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thank goodness you didn't have an accident with an unexpectedly accelerating Prius and then sit in the car for three days.

You really dodged a bullet on that one.

7. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah. The R/C helicopter is fun. I haven't flown it yet since the move though. I know better than to take it outside. I have a bigger one for outside that I crashed. Turns out I can be an excellent helicopter mechanic, but suck at flying little RC ones. Although building it was fun, and rebuilding it is somewhat fun. I can fly the indoor one pretty well now though.

My new phone is the HTC Sensation 4G. I had a Motorola Razr (the original) that was 5 or 6 years old and finally went belly up. I got a new battery for it, and it is now my backup phone even though I think the antenna is dying. It is a good thing I finally did upgrade to a smart phone however because of the Onstar MyLink for the Volt. Which is AWESOME.

That is one of the crappy things about where we live in Virginia. They come once every other week for the recyclables. So they gave us a tiny can as well. So with all the cardboard boxes and everything else it would have taken months to clear it all out that way. So went searching on the internet and had to drive all the way down to Military Hwy to that drop off site. Now that I know where it is though I will run recyclables down there if they get to be to much for the can. I did think it would make for some funny photos though. More fuel for the fire so to speak. :D

EDIT: Oh yeah, duh! The link for my phone.. I like it a lot. The ONLY complaint is that you cannot put it in a phone case. A lot of people have turned the phones in for what they thought was a defect, but come to find out the screen works on static discharge. So when you put it in most phone cases it isolates the ground to the hand you are holding it with, and the phone starts going nuts. So I have a leather pouch I put it in for protection, and do not use a case/screen protector. So it is an awesome phone as long as you know that little tid bit of info!

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/Cell-Phone-Detail.aspx?cell-phone=HTC-Sensation-4G

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe you can can pool with neighbors? :D

Meanwhile, if you go over, keep the non-stinky recyclables until you have a car full so you don't waste energy transporting them.

9. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    We got the big 96 gal cans for recycle materials here. It's still every other week pickup, but usually I'm fine unless I forget it's pick-up week and don't take the can down. It's the darn cardboard boxes that cause trouble. Although, you can rip them apart and they usually fit right into the can without a problem. Typically, if I have a lot I will either break them down and stick them behind the big bin I use inside for my recycle items or drop them off at the drop-off site when I go by it.

10. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is so great for Pinto owners like myself, finally another car is taking the 'heat' off mine.

11. milkman44

milkman44 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your phone looks a lot like my HTC Inspire, 8mp camera and it does pretty good too. I put an Otterbox Defender on mine with no problem and it's already paid for itself more than once. I'm not fond of the bulk, but saves me replacement phones.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    My brother lives in Va. and he said they're still working on recycling in his area.

13. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Recycling is optional in our area (Hampton).. BUT if you do not put the recycle can out twice a month (which ironically is all they come when you factor it in) they charge you $10 a week for sanitation instead of $4 something. I will take a picture of the can next to the Prius.. It is small. Very small. Not sure of the size, but definately difficult to stretch 2 weeks. I do not think most of the neighbors recycle. I usually see a lot of trash cans out with a few scattered recycle bins. I mainly use it just to take some strain off the trash can, and to make the bill cheaper. Shouldn't have to make many trips to the drop point. It may be 'wasted' energy, but I do enjoy driving the car every chance I get. So any excuse is welcome.

It is interesting about the Volt catching all the heat. So far though I have only had 1 person ask me if I was concerned about it blowing up. That was when I filed my travel claim, and she looked down and saw the car make/model attached to the plate. That was an interesting conversation about how my bill must be sky high, the car could burst in to flames at any second, and a bunch of other myths that have been perpetrated. Usually talking to people and/or showing them the car resolves most of it.

Not sure how many MP my camera is. I just needed a new phone at that moment to replace my Razr, and at the time I hated the idea of buying a smart phone.. At that time though I did not realize I would actually need the phone to use some of the features of the Volt. So in the end it wound up being a win win. Great phone overall, although it was expensive as it was their brand new top of the line phone at the time.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Where my brother lives, the county leaves a 9-yard rolloff dumpster for the entire area to throw their trash in, so everything winds up in it.

15. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    In hindsight, the case against the Pinto may not be as bad as the public perceived.

http://www.pointoflaw.com/articles/The_Myth_of_the_Ford_Pinto_Case.pdf

A summary of the above from Wikipedia:
    Page 1029 of the paper has a small chart of the Pinto and others(including the Corolla) fatality rates.

1 person likes this.
  16. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Recycling here is mandatory now. I've done it since I bought my house almost 6 years ago. I used to drive everything to the dropoff, about a mile down the road. But, I changed my route to work and don't pass it on the way in and would rather not do it going home after work. Everything was also "self sort" back then, too, not the single stream they use now.

You phone camera is probably 8MP. That's been the unofficial standard, at least among the HTC phones, for the last year or two. They're also HD for the smart phones. At least, mine is and I got it back in April. The first 4G phone on Verizon and it put the old Blackberry to shame. Although, I rarely use 4G because it drains the battery faster and usually 3G is good enough.

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I had my druthers, I'd put the Volt's drive system in the Vega. Those suckers would NEVER catch fire - as the Pinto's did. The Vega didn't last long enough for any one to ever find out if they could catch fire. I laugh now ... but back in the 1970's I had my entire bank account wrapped up in that car.
    :p

18. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    next time put spme fireworks in it for new year
    and leave it in the car
    if it go's then it wil go out with a nice show!

19. Roadburner440

Roadburner440 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did go pick up 10 gallons of kerosene with it Monday for our heaters. That got me a lot of stares. Guess I should have taken a photo of that too even though kerosene is really not volatile. Still would have looked bad. :eek:

20. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    In the year 2010, my town saved $691 per person on landfill charges by recycling, and made $230 per person selling recyclables, for a total of $921 per person. Sounds worth it to me.