1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So you really like it huh?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by far182, Sep 17, 2006.

1. far182

far182 New Member

Ever had people ask you this question?

I am a new owner of a Prius of 3 weeks. The #1 question I get from just about everyone is:

"So you really like it huh?"

Everytime I hear someone say this I feel like just busting out with Bill Engvall's line of "here's your sign". I feel like saying "no! I bought this car because I hate it!".

No but of course I don't do that. I take the time to explain how nice of a car it is and how I have owned BMW's, a couple landrovers, and many other cars and how I enjoy this one the most.

;)

Anyway. For those who know the comedy I am talking about I thought I would give you a laugh. :)

2. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well.. some people buy a car and after a while they don't like it. take my bro for ex., he really liked his Audi TT but with all the problems with it, he's looking to get an IS and not go with Audi anymore

i could definitely see myself asking that sort of question, its more of a conversation filler more than being stupid or redundant

3. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak @ Sep 17 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]320736[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, I think it's more of a request for information. After all, these things have been in the news so much, they're curious to know more about it and what it's like to drive, etc. So telling them what you like about it is the right response!

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(flareak @ Sep 16 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]320736[/snapback]</div>
    Correct.

Sometimes, they'll just stare, uncertain of how to get a conversation started. But after enough encounters, you tend to notice their desire. Just saying "Hi!" is pretty much all it takes for an invitation to begin talking too. They jump at the chance!

Think about how many years some of these people you casually run into that have wondered about hybrids, yearning to ask questions. There's lots of one-way info available online (especially from my website) for those uncomfortable with posting messages on forums, but very few opportunities for real-world exchanges. So, provide them with one when you can.

5. far182

far182 New Member

I think you guys missunderstand. Of course I am helpful and engage in conversation.

I think you have to know the comedian that I am talking about to understand. My post was just meant for a laugh.

:)

6. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This falls into the same category of "Hot enough for ya?" when the temperature is over 90° (strangely, I cannot recall anyone asking "Cold enough for ya?" when the temperature is at or below 0°, though).

Nonetheless, the Prius is a relatively new technology with unusual characteristics that still isn't commonplace and many people are curious about. So, the question isn't really as moronic as it might first sound.

With that in mind, I doubt whether many people would be asking the same question if the new vehicle were a brown Mercury Grand Marquis, primarily because the answer would be so obvious, i.e., you'd really have to like a car as boring and 'old tech' as that one to buy it (kind of like the same people who continued to buy Model T Fords well into the latter part of the twenties). Then the question "You really like it, huh?" would be a joke...

7. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I've had my Prius almost two years now and have over 23000 miles on it. Everybody I see daily expects me to start hating the car any day. They are all sure it can't keep getting good mpg, and that the batteries will die and cost a fortune within a few more thousand miles. I get regular warnings about how it stops dead on the highway and needs to be towed, and how it will electrocute me in any accident.

The most annoying thingw though are comments like how do you get on the highway with such an underpowered car? or How do you justify the extra cost for a hybrid that you won't get back?

I never got those questions about my previous diesel car that had about 50% less power and also cost more than the gasoline version car.

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since I added the Prius stickers from the Priusshop on the side I get lots of people asking me how much I like it. With the gas prices dropping I get less questions a day but still people tend to stare.

They are surprised to hear I get over the EPA estimates commuting to work. I avg 64 MPG (calculated) now. When I first started I was only getting about 55 MPG.

Their biggest concerns are:
    1. Battery replacement - some still think the battery has to be replaced every 3 years for $5k
    2. Do I have to plug it in or can I?
    3. Acceleratoin and power - They have the misconception it cannot keep up on the highway or accelerate off the ramps into traffic good enough.
    4. Cabin space - many are surprised how big inside it is. I think they expect it to be like a Geo Metro or something. Now they are really impressed with the versitility with my Yakima Racks installed.
    5. Not getting EPA fuel economy - I do but I tell them that their car current car does not get EPA numbers and at least the Pius would be higher.
    6. Cost - I tell them that with incentives and gas prices they should break even in about 3-6 years depending on how much and how hard they drive.

9. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Sep 17 2006, 09:56 AM) [snapback]320811[/snapback]</div>
    Now into my 7th year of Prius ownership and over 120,000 miles of Prius driving, not a single person questions my expectations anymore. I have Jedi status at this point. My intent is blatantly obvious.

Just keep hanging in there.

10. far182

far182 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tomdeimos @ Sep 17 2006, 07:56 AM) [snapback]320811[/snapback]</div>
    I try to keep a fair attititude with people who ask me "So you really like it huh?", but the reality is that most of them think what you said above. How do I know this? Because when I tell them the story of how I was skeptical before trying a Prius and my concerns were: maintenance, repair, safety, room for the family, and acceleration... they just flat out don't believe me when I say it is cheap to keep up, it gets 4-5 out of 5 stars on safety ratings, has tons of room inside, and is suprisingly fast.

I think one of the biggest concerns I hear is that its too small (people think its like a geo metro).

If they only knew my other vehicle is a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 HEMI 4 door with almost every option available.

11. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Sep 17 2006, 09:45 AM) [snapback]320807[/snapback]</div>
    A couple of months ago when we were in the midst of one of our triple digit heat waves, we were loading the car to leave Sacramento for a weekend at my in-laws in Redding. My neighbor sarcastically said, "Gee don't you want stay here this weekend and help me put some siding on the on the house?"

"No way. It just isn't hot enough to do that. It's only going to be 105 here. I am going to Redding, where it's 111!"

I personally think the new technology gets Prius owners more googoo than anyone else. No offense intended to the original poster or the others in the is forums that seem to think the Prius is just the end-all be-all, but so me of the things I hear Prius owners say just amazes me. Take way the hybrid technology and the Prius is just another economy car. When it comes to comfort, handling and performance, you can't even compare a Prius to Camry or Accord. My Hyundai Sonata had a nicer ride and was quieter.

"So why did you buy one, if you don't think much of them?" you might ask. I think very highly of the car. I needed a high quality economy car. The Prius gets twice the gas mileage of my Sonata. I tell people that I am not exagerating, as the Sonata got about 25 on the highway and the Prius breaks 50. And I don't think it's a low quality car. Quality is best defined as conforming/adhering to specifications.

My specs were that I needed a car. A conveyenace that wouldn't fall apart before the odo rolled six digits. I fully expect any power train to do that. I expect that raspy black plastic that covers the dashboard, steering wheel to last as long as the reast of the car. But it ain't very comfortable. I haven't heard any praise about the ergonomics of the seats. They are not back killers or anything - I spend close to 20 hours a week in mine - but there are lot of other cars even in the same price range that seem to provide more comfort for your butt.

If these were da'bomb, we wouldn't be complaining about the fabric on the center console, how fast the seats wear, etc. I should really go have my seats uprgraded to leather - I have had it on most of my cars over the last 20 years and think it's worth the price simply for durability.

Good economic sense was a spec for me. That's subjective so it may mean something different to everyone else - for some, creature comfort and impressing people is worth spending extra money. I liked the hybrid technology and finally came around to acknowledging that it was not just a fad. Astounding gas mileage and better than ULEV emissions sounded pretty good if it didn't cost me thousands extra. Tax incentives, savings on gas, and a personally high value on the 3+ hours I save each week with HOV lane access and the money penciled out with no problem.

Unlike most people here (I assume), the Prius is not the primary family car here. We don't use it for family road trips because we are more comfortable in our larger "crossover" on trips that start lasting more than about 2 hours. Alright, on a good day the Pacifica only gets 24mpg on the highway and probably produces four times the emissions, but it rides nice, it's quiet, and my wife, who suffers from fibromyalgia, can go much longer in the bigger car without damned near needing a wheelchair when we get to our destination.

Back to the orginal post about what people ask you. I have mentioned in another thread that I don't get asked much about my Prius. Surprisingly, I had more "people on the street" take interest in the Chrylser I bought last year. At the time, there were not that many Pacificas on the road. They were intoduced in 04 and they were not the hottest seller in the Chrysler lineup even when got our 05. On the other hand, Priuses are everywhere, and lots of people know something about them. Made it nice when I decided to look into buying one as just about everyone I know knew somebody that had one. Plenty of references.

12. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Curtis SAC @ Sep 17 2006, 05:53 PM) [snapback]320894[/snapback]</div>
    Good post that pretty much matches my take on my Prius.

13. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rudiger @ Sep 17 2006, 10:45 AM) [snapback]320807[/snapback]</div>
    Happens all the ime in Minnesota and Iowa. Especially in January and February.

14. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Walt beat me to it! Visit Fargo, ND, any time it's colder than about ten below zero and you'll hear "Cold enough for ya?" five times a day.

15. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(far182 @ Sep 17 2006, 12:05 AM) [snapback]320732[/snapback]</div>
    That's funny I get a lot of "does it really get that sorta mileage" Or the stupid plug in questions. The ones who really need the sign are the missinformed many that feel it's there job to tell you how "you'll never re-coup your money just because it's a hybrid" I always reply as opposed to what a non hybrid Prius?
    Here's your sign :D :D :D

16. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol that is a good one.