1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So you shouldn't use oil that has been sitting around unused in the containter ?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Taxi/Limo, Dec 29, 2022.

1. Taxi/Limo

Taxi/Limo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have a half a container unused mobile one 0-20 that has been in the back of the car for a year or so
    Is it unusable now ?

2. road2cycle

road2cycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I would use it, as long as the vehicle you’re putting it into calls for 0W-20.

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    IF by "half a container" he means half a quart.......it should not matter what "it calls for" and it will be fine for adding to whatever is in there.

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Took a look over at bitog. There’s one mention, that if oil was stored cold enough to freeze something might separate out. Other’n that no worries. And you’re in California.

I routinely have motor oil in previously opened containers, sitting in garage, 6~12 months. Never gave it a thought.

With brake fluid and Toyota ATF WS you need to be more careful though: if not used immediately I’d recycle those.

#4 Mendel Leisk, Dec 30, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2022
    Taxi/Limo likes this.
  5. aleyoop

aleyoop Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    def use...no issues

6. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The stuff is already rather old. An extra few months in a bottle won't hurt anything.

I regularly save the heels from each oil change to get a free one every so often.

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  7. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It's been bouncing around your trunk for a year or so - I'm pretty sure that oil is going to face a much harsher environment when you dump it into your engine block. :)
    Oil manufacturers state one year warranty/change cycle to sell you more oil. Kinda like the expiration date on your bottle of water. I'd pay a little bit more attention to things like that, since I'm consuming it. Before you ask; I do drink expired bottles of water.:D:p:love::LOL:

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  8. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Check the Valvoline website. They say it's OK subject to some caviots. If the bottle was never opened, it's OK. I don't know about a semi-used container though.

BiomedO1 likes this.
  9. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I've never had an engine dye on me, by putting in partially used containers of oil to top-off my crankcase. "knock on wood":whistle:
    Even when they've been sitting in my garage for several years.
    I have had friends engines die on them, for lack of oil in the crankcase :(:sleep::eek:. She keep driving the car with the oil lamp lit, because she was only 10 miles from home. Bearing and rod knock afterwards; but that 4runner still ran.

Taxi/Limo likes this.
  10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's fine. Yeah, it has seen more exposure to air and water than an unopened bottle, but those really don't start doing anything until the oil hits engine temps.

The dates on water bottles is because of NJ law, and its cheaper for company to just label all their bottles with such than risk shipping undated to NJ.

Taxi/Limo likes this.