1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So, you want to put two kayaks on your 2012 Prius that has a bare roof?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Brock, May 19, 2013.

1. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First, I just wanted to say thanks to all you for the help. I had the same problem and now that I have a pretty good set up I thought i'd share it and put it all on one thread.
    -------
    Car: 2012 Toyota Prius- Bare roof- no moon roof.
    Kayaks being used in pics: (2) 10.4 ft. Equinox -- reviews here, purchased from Costco

-------

After about a month of driving around to different stores and reading multiple reviews and hearing from others on this board I went with this set up- I will post pics first, then give the break-down
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-------

Racks: Yakima removable cross bars- Purchased from REI in Phoenix, AZ -

Breakdown:
    Q-Clips: Q5 (rear)
    Q99 (front)

SKS Locks 4 Pack

Q Towers: attaches crossbars to vehicle

58" Cross Bars

Subtotal for Yakima Removable rack system:$311.15

Center tower: Malone Stax Pro 2 (allows you to put two kayaks on roof easily, comes with straps, 2 center arms bars that fold down, and 4 foam blocks to rest the kayaks on) - Purchased at Bass Pro Shop in Mesa,AZ- on sale for $99.97

Total cost before sales tax was $411.12, your cost may be + or - depending on sale prices, coupons,rebates ect. Also if you feel you do not need locks (SKS locks) you can save 40-60 dollars.

As suggested you should use front and rear tie straps on each of the kayaks and hook them into your tow points to stabilize it even further.

ataylor2 likes this.
  2. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Let me know if you have any questions, I will try to answer them. Or if you have any suggestions to make the post better.

Please keep in mind this is the first time I have ever installed a rack system or put kayaks on the car. Total time it took me to from opening the boxes to getting everything installed and the kayaks on the roof was about 2 hours, i'm sure it can be done faster as it's really not that hard.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I saw a Honda Fit with a kayak on the roof while on the freeway the other day. The kayak was rocking back and forth, front to back, because of the short distance between the crossbars and the relatively long unsupported ends.

I would definitely consider tying both of the kayaks to the front end and rear tow hooks with some straps or ropes and straps to prevent the front to back rocking action I saw. Just a bit of tension on both ends will keep it really solid.

4. Brock

Brock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would, but since they are a little over 10 ft. I haven't really felt it necessary . If it were anything more than 12 ft of course use tie straps on the front and rear of each end of the Kayak onto your tow hooks. For sure though on any prolonged trip yes no matter the length use the downs on each of the Kayaks ends'.

For shorter trips I think this set up is extremely stable as I tried to rock it and it seems very very solid, as long as the straps are tight. I will let you know more tomorrow as I will be going to the lake (i will hop onto the highway instead of going through town so I can get up to 70 miles an hour and see how they fare). Later on I might replace the foam blocks with inno cradle stops

thanks for the tip

5. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Still, that's a lot of drag up high, and again, there is only a very short distance of support in the very middle. Even if it seems tight, at rest, it's a different story once everything is in motion, and the car's suspension will also contribute to the rocking tendency in addition to harmonic vibration and wind drag.

At least with the ends secured, everything will move as one unit and not just the kayaks and roof rack putting stress on your thin roof sheet metal.

6. lamminator33

lamminator33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello Brock-

I was wondering how the system is currently working for you, and if your recommendation is still Q5 for rear and Q99 clips for the front.

I am moving my Yakima system from a different car to my Gen 3 Prius and don't want to pay for a completely new system (if I don't have to).

Thank you!

7. Diver Allen

Diver Allen Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the report.

[​IMG] 2013-07-28 18.42.25.jpg I've got the Yakima gear that I have used a few times recently with my 2013 Prius V. Have driven from Ohio to Florida with a giant Yakima Cargo Case on top. It rode like a champ. I of course had a drop in my mpg but the experience from inside the car was really the same as with nothing on top. I didn't feel any drag and it really didn't make any wind noise. The bars without the cargo carrier actually did make a good bit of wind noise.

I've got 2 14' Kayaks that I have been thinking about putting up there. I don't expect I will be doing any great distances - just different lakes in the area.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my solution...OK that's my *other* car.
    But I got the idea from someone here who puts it in a Prius with a tie down for the hatch.
    Be careful if your try this as you need secure methods. It's a 10-ft Tarpon 100.

Tarpon_100_Kayak_in_Minivan.jpg

9. sarals

sarals New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for your post!

I contacted Yakima today to find out which Q-clips to use for my Q-towers (the base rack came off of my Forester).
    This is what they told me:

Due to the extremely rounded roof line on the 2010- 2013 Prius, we are currently not calling out a fit with the Q Tower system. Unfortunately there isn't a lot of roof for a Q clip to hold on to, but we do have a Whispbar fit. Whispbar is our new elliptical shaped crossbars that have a very "factory" look and are extremely quiet. Below is the fit information.

I thought there was a likely work around. I'm not getting rid of my old rack and shelling out $300 + for a new one!