1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

So your a Spelling Nazi?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Wildkow, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh?
    Wildkow [attachmentid=5924]

Attached Files:

2. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Didn't you mean to write "you're" a spelling Nazi? :p

Byt if ywu dost no haw to reed to began wtih, you're barin wolud nat knaw how to make snese of the jbbirsh.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 15 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]363049[/snapback]</div>
    No, I think what he meant to write was "yuore" a spelling nazi.

However, I disagree with the proposition, because I found it very hard to read. I guess I take in the whole word, not just the end letters.

4. Schmika

Schmika New Member

I understood the OP's point...unless you had difficulty understanding what the poster meant....leave the spelling alone.

5. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Dec 15 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]363048[/snapback]</div>
    As the PC Official Spelling Nazi (although I hate to dilute the evil of that word by using it in a joking manner) I wish to add my two cnets.

Years ago, just for fun, I took a B.A. in French (Linguistics.) I had to read a lot of books about language in general and it was really fascinating. Concerning spelling, I learned that it is much more conservative than the spoken language, which changes all the time. (As a minor example, consider Shakespeare's English versus ours.) Spelling resists change, although it does happen. This is because it became a test of education to spell properly. Everybody could talk but far fewer could write, and the ones who could spell properly lorded it over the clumsy ones. Why do we spell the word "knight?" It hasn't been pronounced that way in hundreds of years. Mark Twain made a living pointing out funny examples.

This is still true. Bad spelling is associated with a certain lapse of education. Nowadays, with spell checkers, it is quite easy to appear very erudite with just the click of a button. The greatest ideas stand no chance of being published if the spelling is poor. Kow's example is a bit biased, however, in that the word lengths are correct and all the letters are present, just mixed up. It becomes harder if these constants are eliminated.

I read an awful lot, with the time retirement gives me, and have fallen into this trap. While I still think that precision in language is an essential ingredient for success, sloppy, random musings on such sites as this can tolerate some slack. You just have to accept that the bias exists and you might not be taken as seriously as possible.

So I resign my seat as of this day and will say no more about "your vs. you're" or "its vs. it's." I apologize to those whom I have stepped on in the past.

Except for Kow.... Your paragraph, above, is the worst English I have ever seen! And, in your signature, it should be "caps" not "cap's." Din't they teach you nuthin at skool?

(I won't be running this post through my spell-checker!)

Alnilam, ex SN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 15 2006, 10:24 PM) [snapback]363049[/snapback]</div>
    No. "you're" is correct and he wanted to spell it wrong. But, in keeping with his template, it should be "yu'roe"

6. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I predict there is zero potential of this style of spelling catching on as the makings of a long-running thread.

Then again, it would smoke out the true masochists extant here.

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 16 2006, 10:37 AM) [snapback]363141[/snapback]</div>
    Amazing how people will talk for others, or interpret for others, when they haven't a clue what the OP meant to say or write. As we all know, Wildkow is more than capable of enlightening us with his own thoughts - or trying to defend his actions.

My interpretation was that Wildkow meant for the first sentence to be correct and the second to be comprehensible gibberish. But, as you will notice, I didn't say, “Wildkow meant for the first sentence . . .â€

But now we are probably going to get into a round of “is it truly two distinct sentences since there is a comma after the question mark.†Maybe Alnilam can tell us what Wildkow was thinking with his misuse of punctuation. :rolleyes:

Resigning your seat as the Official Spelling Nazi is a good start. Now maybe you can work on your propensity to (mis)speak on others' behalf. ;)

8. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 16 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]363141[/snapback]</div>
    Since my parents and most of my close relatives were killed by the real Nazis at Auschwitz when I was a young child, and I myself was lucky to have survived WWII, I always wince when I see the word "Nazi" debased. However, as a student of languages (I speak several), and a former language and literature prof, I understand that such change is natural and unavoidable as people try to express themselves over time. Language lives and must change.

Personally, I attach importance to good spelling, as defined by the accepted standards of grammarians and authorities on the subject. That is a personal choice, and I don't look down on or comment to those who spell differently, as long as the meaning is clear. I learned long ago that people who misspell words may be just as intelligent as those who spell conventionally.(Note that a "spelling error" could be simply a typo when someone writes, for example, "effect" instead of "affect" or vice versa or it could indicate that the person is unclear about the conventional usage). Here again, language is a living thing and "good spelling" will change over time. For example, the use of the apostrophe is, I believe, in flux. I've seen in the highest quality professional journals apostrophe plus "s" used when a plural was meant.
    Wildkow is perfectly right to say that the human mind is extremely capable of deciphering misspelled words, and I had read elsewhere his point about garbled words being decipherable as long as the first and last letters are in their proper position. I would add that this works best with common words: if the reader is not very familiar with the word in question, he/she may have problems!

9. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Dec 16 2006, 11:49 AM) [snapback]363181[/snapback]</div>
    Chief,

You've got the nasty habit of turning hostile for the least excuse. Why don't you have a beer and mellow out a little. You've got a mighty thin skin if this bothers you.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Dec 16 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]363214[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, if you think that was hostile, maybe it is you with the thin skin. Not only did I not call you any names, I used non-hostile smilies ( :rolleyes: ;) ).
    If I used :angry: or reverted to calling names, then I might agree with “hostile.â€

P.S. Not into beer or hard liquor, but a glass of wine sounds mighty fine. :) I learned early in life not to use drugs or alcohol as an emotional crutch or social lubricant.
    Life, the Navy, and the people I have met were all much more interesting sober. :)

11. unruhly

unruhly New Member

Trying to get back on topic... I'm totally amazed at this. At first, I knew there were mispellings, but I was reading it without any problem. Once I realized what was going on (by the second line) I was reading at normal speed. My kids will be the first ones to tell you that I'm very critical of their spelling so it surprises me that I could tollerate reading it at all.

The mind is truly a remarkable thing. It's a shame so many people don't use but a fraction of its potential.

12. jared2

jared2 New Member

This was interesting. I was also reading it at normal speed. I think the reason is that so much meaning depends on context. With strong context, plus the letters of the world, we can "guess" what the word is almost instantly. We just use all our years of experience from sentences similar to these ones to figure out the meaning. It would be much harder if the sentences were not standard and expected.

The human mind is brilliant at pattern-finding. It even invents patterns where there are none - constellations, the big dipper, face of Jesus on burnt toast, etc.

13. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good topic Wildkow!

I uder stode it competely.... :lol:

I use smilies soo much because I dont want others to mistake what I write as some take them the wrong way..

I seen to noticed that alot of pepole type bad in the internet diccusion baords . But you dont see someone dissing dem for it. even thow they may think about it they doont.

Thats the shizzle my nizzle.... ;)

14. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

I've seen this floating around for a few years, and am quite amazed that I can read it so well. Snopes.com has a little piece on it, and there are quite a few websites that look into the phenomenon and have come up with supporting or counterexamples in English and many other languages.

Try some samples yourself at: http://www.stevesachs.com/jumbler.cgi

And don't fgerot, you can hlep rehrseceras fnid frutue ceurs to deesasis casued by minoilfdsg of prnetios if you pirtpcaaite in the PruisCaht fidnlog@hmoe taem

15. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Dec 16 2006, 05:03 PM) [snapback]363239[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't tollerate bad spelling, either.

ED.: Sorry, that was like shooting fish in a barrel.

16. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 18 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]363843[/snapback]</div>
    I wondered who was going to do that....

17. unruhly

unruhly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jack Kelly @ Dec 18 2006, 01:25 PM) [snapback]363843[/snapback]</div>
    Good job Jack! I honestly didn't think anyone would pick up on it in this thread.

18. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(unruhly @ Dec 18 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]363881[/snapback]</div>
    Nice to recieve good news!

19. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If so, it should have been invoked at the opening post.