1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soaked in the pool cell phone question.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TJandGENESIS, Jul 30, 2008.

1. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    So, my brother gets into the pool with his swim suit on. And then he is swimming with his swim suit on. And then he puts his hand into his pocket in his swim suit.

And pulls out his Moto Razr. It's not working.

I happen to have a spare one, so we dry off the SIM card and it works with that one. BUT, my question is, will the other phone recover? I mean, it was in the heavily chlorinated pool for quite some time.

Is it dead? Or do you think after a time of drying, it will live again?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good chance it'll live again...a lot do. I'd leave the battery out and let the thing air dry for at least a couple of days before trying to turn it on again and just see what happens. Sometime, though, they just aren't quite right again...it'll work, but the speaker sounds funky, or one of the buttons won't work, or whatever. But sometimes they're good as new.

3. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hope so! That is what I thought, but one can't always be sure. Thanks for the prompt reply! :)

4. TSaxman28

TSaxman28 Wandering Minstrel

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Same thing happened to me last summer. I took the battery out and let everything dry for a couple of days and everything worked just fine.

5. NaptownPrius

NaptownPrius Getting Greener....

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    leave it in the car on a hot day...the 130 F temps will slowly dry it out.

Do not leave on dash or it can warp due to extreme heat.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is one of the advantages of wearing a Speedo - no chance of leaving a cell phone in one of those, unless you are trying to impress the ladies. :D

Tom

7. diesel

diesel New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Take the battery out and put the phone face down in a closed container of rice for a couple of days. The rice will absorb the water. I guess you never grow out of swimming with your phone! My teenagers do it often and this has worked.

8. steviet

steviet New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I dropped my razr in a full sink for a few seconds once, it was completely dead. Blew the audio amp and the thing got scorching hot. I wouldn't trust the phone even if it dries out.

Steve

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource
    This is a good site for tons of info on all cell phones.
    RAZR V3 - Mobiado, LG, Tools, Panasonic, Nokia, SonyEricsson, Samsung, BlackBerry, Microso
    Good site for parts and tools, very good prices and fast cheap shipping. I've use them.
    http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/1305123~491ebe38e277fe06c5db8a8643d478b3/Motorola_V3_RAZR_Disassembly_Tutorial_1%5B1%5D.pdf
    Here's how to disassemble one if he feels so inclined. I've taken them apart to change cases, etc. and it's not that hard. It would dry faster if it was disassembled. All phones have a moisture indicator inside or in the battery compartment. It turns from white to pink which for sure his did so don't bother with any warranty work even if it starts working again and is still under warranty.

The Celluar Network link is also good for ipod parts (cases). There's also instructions on the Internet for disassembling ipods if you Google it.

10. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Am I the only one that thinks pockets in swimsuits are stupid?

11. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That's one of the most practical ideas I have heard! Wish I'd thought of it a few years ago when I dropped one in the <gasp!> commode.

We won't talk about the cleaning THAT phone got. Took about four or five days, but it eventually came back just fine.

Or just fone. :)

Guaranteed to void the warranty, though.

Dan

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's not pockets that kill cell phones...

13. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ...only people with pockets that kill cell phones...

:D

14. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    True dat.

Well, it does give me an excuse to buy the new iPhone, give my old one to my wife, then give her RAZR to my brother.

We shall see.

15. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Been working on cell phones sine 1991. Seen a lot of phones get wet and self destruct and seen a few that came back. Good luck but don't expect a lot. One hint is that once you have dried it out to your satisfaction and your ready to install a charged battery for a test; have paper and pencil ready to write down any phone number info you have in the phone if it turns on as it may not last forever. Another idea is to copy all the contacts to the sim card if it was not already done. If it turns on you need to do that if necessary as I can't stress enough to you that it may work for ten min or ten yrs. As steviet says you can't trust it even if it does work. Good Luck

16. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I have to admit ... this has happened to me before. I had been drinking with my buddies at the pool and jacuzzi, and accidentally dropped my RAZR in the jacuzzi. Instantly, it went dead. I called a friend that is an electrical engineer and he told me to take the battery out (which I had already done, immediately after the incident), and then he said to let the phone dry out for two or three days before reinserting the battery. I took his advice. After two days, the phone was still dead. On the third day, it resumed working as if it had never been in the water. :thumb:

17. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Corrosion will be the problem you will have, even if it comes back. The contact point for the recharger will probably get a green crust eventually. The phones I have baptised eventually went belly up, even if they do come back on. Also, if you are on a warranty or insurance plan, don't try to lie and tell them it didn't get wet. They have ways of knowing.

18. TJandGENESIS

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, the phone is older, anyway, so no warranty. I am leaning towards my idea up there, but for experiment reasons, we washed it out, and now are drying it out in our 120˚ F garage, for about a week. See what that does.

19. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where else are you going to keep your car keys?:fish2:

20. gman11377

gman11377 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Ok, been here, and done this quite a few times. The slow drying ideas are great. Avoid heating, and definately don't put the battery back in until you are completely sure that it is dry. If you think it is, then it isn't usually. The bowl of rice is a decent idea, just be sure that rice grains don't get lodged in places that they shouldn't be. Another idea is to wash the phone with PURE Alcohol, not the drugstore stuff which is mostly water. Just like alcohol in your ear will dry up water after swimming, it will do the same for a cell phone. My moto q was baptized shortly after purchase, I immediately removed the batt, and card, dissasembled as far as possible (with the tools and knowledge I have that was pretty far, and all of the circuitry was washed with pure alcohol, that phone has been working for 2 and a half years now.