1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOC after Parking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mynew06, Jul 21, 2006.

1. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

I did a search of the forums (what a great resource with lots of friendly people--I'm happy to join PC as a new Prius owner), and I found some relevant/similar threads, but no clear-cut answers--

By necessity (I hate having to do it), I have to park in a garage with valet parkers when I go to work. They all claim to know the Prius, but a few times when I have picked up the car 8 hours later, the battery is down to two purple/pink bars.

I can't figure out what they're doing to my car. I have to assume they're powering it down correctly, because when they deliver the car to me they power it off even just to get out of the car to turn it over to me.

Does battery charge run down if they leave the fob in the slot? (I have SKS, btw.) I thought that might be it, so I told the valet on my next visit not to leave the fob in the slot, but I still got it back the same way.

They might leave the fob in the car during the day, but would this run charge on the battery?

Any ideas on how I can handle this? Thanks in advance for any help!

(PS. Is the fact that this has happened a few times cause for damage to the battery? I've read on this forum how running the charge down is very bad to the battery. Does this apply as well to what I've described, or only does it only apply to a complete discharge)

2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I assume this doesn't happen when you park it at home overnight?

My guess it is that they are not turning the car off! Even if they remove the FOB from the car they have to turn it off with the power switch or it will run all day. The only solution is for you to either educate them or talk them into letting you park your own car.

I doubt your battery is damaged the Prius protects it's battery pretty effectively.

EDIT: I will go one step further. The fact that the HV battery is lower by a significant amount and not the little 12V battery means the car could not have been powered down. When the car is turned off with the power switch the HV battery is diconnected and will not discharge. It might go down over a period of months but not in a day or a week. Unless there is a problem in which case it would do it other places as well.

3. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know (for sure) what they are doing to the car, but the symptoms that you are describing are what would happen if they were leaving the car ON for all the time you were away (i.e. in "Ready" or "IG-ON").

What happens if you leave the car on is that the battery runs down into the Purple/Pink, then the gas engine comes on to recharge it, then turns off, then the battery runs down again, the gas engine comes on to recharge it, etc. . .

Note that as long as there is gas in the tank, the Prius is designed to *not* let the battery run down all the way and, therefore, it probably hasn't done any long-term damage to your car.

I doubt if leaving the FOB in the slot all day could run down the traction battery (although I could maybe see it running down the accessories battery). When the car is off, the traction battery is electrically disconnected from the rest of the car's systems (remember that "click" from the back seat when you turn the car on and off?), so I think it's more than likely that your valets are leaving the car on.

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    With SKS enabled, even making sure the key is removed from the slot doesn't ensure that the car is powered off (as i'm sure you know). Instead, in situations like this, you almost have to disable SKS and make sure they remove the key from the slot. of course, the other alternative is to convince them to let you park it yourself... that way, even if you have to leave the key in the car, you can make sure it's turned off first.

5. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

I'd love to park it myself, but it's probably impossible here. A lot of people arrive at the lot at the same time, we line up and park, turn over our keys/pick up the ticket, and walk away. Then the valets work their way down that line, starting the cars up and driving them down to the bowels of the garage.

So it may be that even the person I hand the car over to is not the same as the one who will drive it down to it's parking spot. This may prove a difficulty when I say "be sure to turn it off" and they nod and hand it over to someone else.

But it may be the closest I get to a solution (except for driving my other car into work, which would defeat the purpose of my buying the Prius...)

If I disable SKS and they still don't know to Power Off, is it possible that they can try a little too hard to rip the fob out of the slot, not knowing it's not supposed to come out if they haven't powered down?

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mynew06 @ Jul 21 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]290050[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, some of these guys can most likely break anything. But I think since there is no better solution it's what I would do in your place, and just hope they don't break it. Make a big sign and put it on the dash that says "PUSH THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN THE CAR OFF BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE KEY FOB!!! IF THE FOB WON'T COME OUT YOU HAVEN'T TURNED IT OFF" or something like that.

Then hope they can read.

7. rfred

rfred New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mynew06 @ Jul 21 2006, 01:40 PM) [snapback]290050[/snapback]</div>
    I assume you did not get the valet cards that are supposed to accompany all new Prii? Our dealer left a whole stack of them in our car and here in Kansas City I don't think I'll ever use one...

Here's a link to a 2004 version:

http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/Image:prius-v...-card-small.jpg

8. tyrael

tyrael Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also got a stack of valet cards but when I first saw them, I thought the dealer left their stash in the car. I assummed that it was for the new owner's education. Good stuff though. Hopefully in the future, more and more peeps will know about this as a lot of cars are coming keyless!

9. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rfred @ Jul 21 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]290058[/snapback]</div>
    I did get the cards, thanks though. I think the valets assume they're doing it correctly, so they ignore the card thinking they don't need it. I may have to take Tumbleweed's advice and tape one to the dash so it's obvious. They'll probably ignore it anyway.

10. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    yeah, a big sign saying "PUSH THE POWER BUTTON TO TURN OFF" would probably be good... i would stick to just calling the fob a key to those guys though.... they'd probably be confused by calling it a fob!

11. marjam

marjam Member

It might also help to remember that you can not take the fob out of the slot unless you power off. So if you convince them to remove the fob (key) they have to turn off the car. I agree that they are leaving it running all day. They don't hear the ICE running so they assume the car is off. How has your gas mileage been? Any chance of using another lot?

12. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You didn't say whether or not you disable the SKS - as other's mentioned, definetely do that. I always disable it before valet parking.

There are 2 other things you can probably do.

1) make sure the radio is on - if they hear it playing when they stop, maybe they'll figure out it's not off.

or alternatively,

2) Turn off the radio and anything else that would drain the battery. I've never tried it, but I would think if there is no power being drained that it shouldn't need to kick in the gas engine that much. Unless it would start up just to keep the engine warm - I've never tried this myself though.

Last thing to do is make not of your fuel economy. If it is running during the day, it will drop. You may see a drop anyway, but it would be much more noticeable if the car is running.

13. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If all of the above suggestions fail, hide your mobile in the rear cubbyhole on the righthand side. Come back after they have parked the car and ask to retrieve your phone. You will have to go the the vehicle because they would not know how to find the cubby. You could then determine in what condition they have left your Prius - power on or power off.

14. Maytrix

Maytrix Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ Jul 22 2006, 12:19 AM) [snapback]290325[/snapback]</div>
    Another option would be to plug an electronic device (PDA, phone..etc) that has a low battery into the console outlet - if it's got a higher charge when you get back then when you left it, then they are leaving it on. None of the outlets will remain on if car is off.

15. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Maytrix @ Jul 22 2006, 12:23 AM) [snapback]290328[/snapback]</div>
    I like this idea, and will try it next time. (Leaving something in the car to retrieve won't work, because rather than have me walk down to where they actually park the cars, they'll go to the lower level and drive the car up for me to get whatever I left, and then they'll drive it back down. This is what they did when I (unintenionally) left my cell phone in my older car.)

Thanks for the ideas. When I parked today (yes, I have to work weekends) I went over the parking procedure in detail with one of the valets; let's see how I get my car back later. And next time, I'll leave my Ipod connected to one of the outlets as Maytrix suggested and see if I get it back charged...

16. mapsmith

mapsmith New Member

I have found the same problem at my local Car Wash. It seems to stem from parkers not knowing how to START the car. So now I sit and watch until they figure it out.

You should contact the Valet Parking Manager and explain the proper sequence for starting and stopping the car.

To Start
    1. APPLY BRAKE.
    2. Push On Button
    3. Select D or R.
    4. Move the Vehicle

To Stop
    1. APPLY BRAKE
    2. Push P to set Parking
    3. Push Off Button.
    4. Make sure all data on Dash is off.
    5. Get out of car
    6. Lock door.

The valets may not have the experience of starting/stopping the Prius, like we owners do.

What may be happening is that they get in the car and just start pushing the On Button without the brake. (This is the problem at my car wash) Eventually they do things in the right order. But until they do, they just keep starting and stopping the Accessory mode.

Talk the Valet Manager and hand him/her one of the Valet instructions.

17. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Here is a question?

Since you say that their is a whole line of cars that all arrive there to park...and the valets do not immediately park your vehicle...couldn't they be leaving your car on for a while before they ever move it? I assume that probably keep turning the cars on and off to move them up the line until your car is the first in line and can be parked. Assuming this takes some time, your battery could easily run down by then (especially if they are running the air during any of this period).

If they were truly leaving the car on for that long...the ICE would be kicking on and off...and by the time you returned for your car later, you would easily notice a significant amount of gas missing...and the MPG numbers would be way, way down.

More likely, they are just running it low before they park, then turning it off correctly.

18. mynew06

mynew06 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mssmith95 @ Jul 23 2006, 07:32 PM) [snapback]291136[/snapback]</div>
    I drive my car into the line and shut it off myself, as do the rest of the drivers. The line is usually only about 5 cars long or so at a time, so they don't typically keep moving them up in line before driving them down. They'll just drive the car directly down from where the owner parked it. (What they do with the cars when they get down below, however, I have no way of knowing. So it is possible, I guess, for them to do what you are describing, down on the lower level, but I would assume once they drive it away they are just taking it to its parking space.)

Anyway, today I tried the "leave my uncharged Ipod plugged into an outlet" idea, and when I picked up my car, the Ipod had not charged up, and the car battery was fine. Go figure. Just when I try to catch them, they get it right.

Having the misfortune of having to work weekends, I have Mondays and Tuesdays off; so I next return to work (and hence this garage) on Wednesday and will see how it goes then.

Thanks for the feedback!

PS. I hadn't noticed a dipping in mpg (as least as far as I can tell) when the SOC was lower after parking in the garage. If something were draining the battery (like leaving the car on or something), is it possible this could be happening without using ICE/gas? Basically, should there always be usage of gas if my battery is losing charge for some reason, or is it possible for it to happen independant of that?

19. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    On those occasions how many bars were there when you left it?

20. VABeachPrius

VABeachPrius Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are you able to find your car in the garage without the assistance to the valet employees? If so are you able to walk up to your car when it is parked there and check for yourself? If you knew where your car were, you would just need to look through the window to see if it were powered on or not. Kind of like just showing up at my son's daycare unannounced to check on my son.

Thanks,

Chris