1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOC Battery"ology"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by s3nfo, Sep 21, 2012.

1. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Normally don't have to wait in line to get on base, but since thousands of people are now coming on base to work on the USS Vinson there've been lines to get on base recently. I've never had my traction battery go below half on my normal commute, but with the long lines now, I've had to inch forward in long lines, which means no regen and I've noticed a disturbing trend. I hit the bottom of the Coronado bridge and the SOC is 8 green bars, it takes like 10 minutes of inching forward to go from 8 bars to half, 4 bars, but then I go from 4 bars to 2 bars and engine running in 30 seconds. So, am I seeing the normal NiMH discharge knee, or do I have some bad modules/cells that only shows up at lower SOC's?

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi s3nfo. I think it's fairly normal for it to go down fairly slowly down to 5 bars and then much faster discharge after that. The reason is that the bars aren't really linear, bars 6 and 7 are much bigger than the others. See the attachment.

Attached Files:

dorunron and usnavystgc like this.
  3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Completely normal. The computers do an excellent job of protecting the HV battery and maintaining SOC between 40 and 80%. When you get to 2 bars, 40%, the ICE will kick in and charge back up to 4 bars. It will keep doing this until you get going again and after a few stops with regen braking it will charge back up to the 8 bars. The more accessories you have on, such as AC, the shorter the time between recharges.

I have seen this a few times during accidents on the highway. No worries.

4. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Uart came up with the same explanation as me only faster. In short normal.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow Uart. That's great info. I learned something new today. You guys never cease to amaze me...

6. s3nfo

s3nfo Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Uart,

WOW, great information.
    So, with overlap, you can go from 4 bars at low (49%) to 2 bars high (47.5%) with only 1.5% usage. Allays my concerns.
    Thanks,

Jerry

7. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Jerry. The "overlap" is called hysteresis and it's designed to prevent rapid fluctuations between states. Basically it follows the upper thresholds while it's charging, but it follows the lower thresholds while discharging. So it would be more like from 49% to 44 or 45% to make that drop.

8. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That would explain why it seems to take a long time to charge back up from 2 bars to the 3rd bar, but then picks up quicker after that due to the "hysteresis". I have noticed how it seems like a long time from the 2nd to the 3rd bar, but after that it seems to be a little quicker on the 4th bar, then slowing down some. The numbers seems to make sense to me after observations over time.

Thanks for the info and the chart uart!

Ron