1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SofTex seat keeps coming off bottom cushion & seat vibrates - certified pre-owned

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bounce, Apr 22, 2015.

1. bounce

bounce New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased my 2010 Prius as a certified pre-owned vehicle with just about 30k miles last July, and purchased the extended certified pre-owned warranty as well at that time.

The bottom SofTex cover has been coming off on the front passenger seat ever since I brought the car home. Every time I go to my dealership for service, I note the issue and they snap the bottom cover back, but as soon as someone sits on the seat it comes off again. The white plastic piece on the very bottom that holds it in place and goes over the metal ridge is just not strong enough to hold it. I was told by my service advisor that the issue is that the SofTex must have been cut too short / tight and there's no way to permanently keep it in place on the bottom.

Since the last time that they repaired this seat, I keep hearing a rattle coming from the seat when driving over rough pavement and the whole seat vibrates / shakes a little now. If I put my hand on the seat the rattle stops and it stops vibrating as well.

I brought this up with my dealership today, and at first they wanted $120 to diagnose what is causing the rattling. After some pleading, they diagnosed it at their expense and I was told a spring in the rear of the seat is causing this issue. Unfortunately, it is not covered under warranty and the extended warranty I purchased does not help either. The cost to repair the spring in the seat as well as the SoftTex would be about $2,200.

My question is - what kind of recourse do I have?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never replaced a seat.

But for $2,200 dollars what are they suggesting? A whole new seat?

If your warranties don't cover it.
    If Toyota won't back it. ( I'd try a phone call to Toyota Customer Care)

Then maybe I'd try phoning around to Auto Upholstery Shops. Some of those guys really know their stuff.

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As the above post suggest, you should try with another dealer to see if Toyota will cover the replacement seat under good will. If not maybe shop around for a used replacement seat from a wreaking yard or take it to an Auto Upholstery shop to try to resolve the spring and fitment of the seat cover.

4. bounce

bounce New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, the price I was quoted is for a whole new seat. I don't think it's necessary as it's just the very bottom of the cover that keeps lifting up, see attached photos.

Looks like the service guys put some metal rings over the plastic to help keep the seat in place, but I've figured out what the issue is. Looks like the white plastic piece is supposed to go all the way around on the bottom, but the side piece must have broken off. You can see in one of my pictures (IMG_1173.jpg) how on the other side there's a white plastic piece on the side, but on the side closest to the camera it ends abruptly.

Would it be possible to do something about this? Really don't think it's necessary to replace the whole seat as it's in great condition otherwise with barely any wrinkles.. The car has just 39k miles on it.

Attached Files:

5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I still would recommend trying to find a good "craftsman" experienced auto upholsterer. These guys see problems like this all the time and they would be able to ascertain the real feasibility of fixing it as opposed to simply replacing it.

Not really the same problem, but I had a center console arm rest in a new vehicle that prematurely started to degrade.

The dealerships only solution was to replace with a brand new one, at considerable cost, with conceivably the same materials that IMO prematurely degraded in the original.

I sought out an auto upholsterer that was able to recover the original in real leather as opposed to the degrading vinyl, at less than the cost of buying a new one.

I don't think you want to totally re-do your interior, but repair might be very possible and more likely embraced by those that do that type of thing all the time as opposed to the dealership that might be looking at it as a replace ONLY option.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same things happening to my wifes '13 hycam leather. right in the corner where the seat fusion meets the back. thanks for the clue, i'll point it out to them at the next service, and see what they do.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On 2010s, it's real leather (seat surfaces and bolsters. The seat sides and back are vinyl of course). I would try an upholstery shop for a 2nd opinion (or another dealership). If it's as simple as the seat cover, installing a new one with the proper length should do the trick.

8. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The front plastic edge on my 2010's driver's seat (leather, not Softex) constantly disengaged from the seat frame. I brought it to the dealer, who just replaced the bottom seat cover (and maybe the foam - can't remember). Hasn't budged since. This was done under warranty.