1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Software Options and Modifications

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Sep 20, 2004.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I have tried to search but can't find it. Somewhere on here I remember reading that Daytime Running Lamps (DRLs) are a software option. In Canada, they are engaged but in the States, they are not.

So my question is, if the DRL truly is a software setting is there someone who can change the setting?

2. randalla

randalla Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Tony, I do know that if you own a Prius with the HID headlights, unfortunately there is no DRL conversion available.

What I would like to see if perhaps some enterprising techie like Coastal Dave might consider doing some sort of retrofit on the optional fog lights so that they could work as DRLs.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm not sure what HID stands for, but Priapus is a 2004 BC9.

I've been running with my headlights on during the day. And that's fine for all sakes and purposes. The only thing that bugs me is that I have to manually adjust the gauge lights and MFD brightness when it gets dark. Just thought it would be nice if Priapus automatically made the changes for me. I have a car that can turn its own ICE on and off when needed, yet requires me to control the lights.

I guess my question hinges more around the concept of software adjustments. For example, I had been using M$ Windows for years before I was introduced to the Registry. Now there are certain tweaks I can’t live without. And others I can’t live with! Is anyone aware of any Prius “tweaks†that can be adjusted. Other than those posted on PriusChat already (seatbelt beep, reverse beep, etc.)

4. swepri

swepri New Member

There are some options described in the German Repair Manual. A few settings for the climate system and loads for the door locks. The problem is that you have to know your German to get anything out of it. And as far as I can see they don't tell you HOW to change them.

I'm not sure that it's a good idea to post the file here (thinking of copyright issues of course).

But sometimes accidents can happen and files can be attached to e-mails by mistake :wink: .

BTW PC member Victor in Germany has the complete manual, currently offline.

/Paj

5. rlcarr

rlcarr New Member

HID = "High Intensity Discharge" (i.e. the bluish headlights that so many people hate :).

And yes, BC9 has HID and therefore DRL is not possible (HID lights can only run at one intensity level).

6. olends

olends New Member

While any HID lighted car, may not have low voltage DRL it seems more likely that you want a twilight system, more then a DRL. The twilight system has a photo sensor, that when reaches a threshold turns the lights on. A possible hack to this system is that the headlights remain on all the time (excluding when the car is not running), and the photo sensor will be used to adjust interior brightness?

7. Jonathan

Jonathan New Member

Maybe we could use the existing solar sensor somehow, to trigger a relay etc to adjust the panel lighting. If not, shouldn't be that hard to add. Anyone?

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(swepri\";p=\"40725)</div>
    There are something like 30 "user" adjustable parameters, which include things as which doors open with SE, how often SE scans for a fob (default 150ms, but can be adjusted upto 600ms) etc.

I have a list in German of most of them, but some are quite cryptic in the meaning. I could extract the PDF if someone wants to translat it (TBH I cant be bothered to do a translation!)

Most of the User options are set by the dealer and I have not (yet) found the instructions for changing most of the options.