1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Software upgrade?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by syscon, Sep 13, 2012.

1. syscon

syscon Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I recently have taken my prius-v for exhaust actuator recall (it was about a month ago) and I've notice difference the way battery is being used (charged/discharged).

Before the recall when I start the engine (when cold) the engine was running and was charging the battery all the time.
    After the recall, when the engine is started in the morning the engine is running but the battery is providing energy to the wheels as well; so before I had a change to drive 300-meters (~1000Ft) the battery energy drops two bars.
    Not only that, the battery is being utilized more during driving.

Yes, I get slightly better mileage but will I have to replace this battery sooner as well??
    I just talked to the dealer how performed the service and according to them they did not perform any software upgrade.

2. tfuchs84

tfuchs84 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The recall that was performed is to address a part that could potentially leak coolant. I work for a Toyota dealer in pittsburgh and we perform these recalls about once a week. In theory it shouldn't change how the car operates and no software change is made during the work. Alot of things need to factor in such as possible colder temperatures in the morning which could cause the engine to come on sooner. Also has your driving habits or normal route changed? The car utilizing more of your battery will not shorten it life span as this battery is designed to last a minimum of ten years (Hence the 10 year warranty toyota gives you on hybrid components). I'm not sure of the hybrid warranty for canadian vehicles but I believe it is the same. I just purchased a prius myself about a month ago and still learning the ins and outs of the vehicle. We have had colder mornings here in pittsburgh over the last few weeks so I've been noticing a similar scenario with my cars engine coming on as soon as I start it up.