1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Softwware Glitch in the PIP?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by LenP, Mar 27, 2012.

1. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem with the ICE starting when you’re in EV mode can be a frustrating one. Toyota tells us the ICE will start all of the time if we call for heat, or some of the time if AC is needed. If the PIP traction battery is to hot or to cold, or if the PIP needs a boost in power. The ICE can also come on if your accelerating up a hill, accelerating to quickly, or going faster then 62 miles an hour. This does not explain the quirk that happens when the fan is turned on! It can and often does start the ICE, far too often! Now The heat is off, the AC is off, the auto is off, but just turning on the fan to either recirculated, or bring in outside air should not cause the ICE to run, but it can and it dose. The micro dust and pollen filter also will bring on the ICE as well! So is this a software glitch or dose this happen for a good reason.... I can’t get fresh air without the ICE turning on, sometimes I can, but often I can’t![​IMG]

2. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I haven't noticed this yet, but when i started out this morning backing out of garage, ev miles said 11.0. Then i noticed fan only was on and turned it off, and ev miles went to 12.5.

May be related?

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?pd3uya

1 person likes this.
  3. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have turned on the fan with no ICE before also. What is your temp set to? I now make it a habit to always turn off the climate controls, but before I do, I turn the temperature down to LOw. When I feel I want some air, I use the fan control arrows to turn up the fan.

The only time the ICE came on for me when I did this is if the temperature was NOT set to LO. In my case, it was around 74 or so with outside temp well below that. So it was expected the ICE would come on. However, I don't know what would happen if the temp is set to, say, 74, but outside temp was 80, for example. Perhaps just having any temperature other than LO will start the ICE?

1 person likes this.
  4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Put another way ... if your outside temps are "well digger" cold ... say below 30 or 40 degrees ... and your temp is set at minimum (what ... 60 degrees?) - I'm thinking that the Prius is thinking you want the minimum temp. The Prius' minimum temp can easily be warmer than your outside temps.

1 person likes this.
  5. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

The outside temp was 55 today and the temp was set to 72 in the car. The auto was off . Maybe this calls for heat even if it isn't marked as such? Not a great set up, better to just have a heat button as well as an AC one so you have the choice of heat AC or auto.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i think that's it len. i never use 'auto'. if i want heat, i do it manually. raise the temp somewhere above low and turn on the fan if that's not enough. anytime temp is above 'low', the computer thinks you want it to be that temp inside the car.

1 person likes this.
  7. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It's amazing a car that costs almost $40,000 and has no heat button. With separate manual controls for heat and AC you can keep the ICE from coming on easily. I think Toyota missed this one big time, the PIP isn't a regular Prius. If you want to stay in Pure EV as much as possible, heat should have an easy shut off.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    How do you know the engine is actually running? I haven't experienced that.

In this video I just made available, I had the fan turned on to pull in outside air. It did that "reduction assumption" with the EV capacity, but that comes back when you shut the fan back off... which you can clearly see in the video. What you can't see is my ScanGauge showing 0 RPM the entire time. The Multi-Display shows 100 MPG one-minsute segments too.

What other detail can you provide?

1 person likes this.
  9. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    In my mind, if the inside temperature is set to ANYTHING greater than the outside temperature, this qualifies as the driver 'wanting heat' (and I'd expect the ICE to come on).

So far, in driving my PiP, I have found it very easy to avoid turning on the ICE, except when I want it to be on. I was a little worried about this aspect of my car, before I got it, but I couldn't be happier.

1 person likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but you still luv the heck out of it!:D

11. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How quickly does it turn the engine on when you turn the CC on? It would suck to have it turn on because it remembered your prior (higher) temperature setting even though you now want to turn it to LO.

12. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    'cc' = ???

13. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Climate control

Turning on the climate control/fan with a "heater required" temperature turns on the ICE almost instantly. I don't think there's enough time to turn off the fan before the ICE starts, unless you're a ninja or something.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yep. I have no PiP, but based on Gen 2 behavior and the minimal amount I've played w/the HVAC on Gen 3, if you don't want to request heat, have the temp set to the lowest point (LO on Gen 2). Setting it a single degree above it w/fan in a position other than than off == requesting heat, possibly causing the ICE to run/turn on.

The HyCam, NAH and Lexus HS all behave similarly although my test case usually involves the temp at max.

1 person likes this.
  15. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Oh John you can tell the ICE was running from the brommmmm brommmm and the heat coming out of the exhaust. It’s calling for heat like others suggested... I had outside temp way lower then the temp set in the cabin. I guess it thought I wanted heat even though Auto and AC were off. ;)

16. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Love it, LOVE IT....... Crazy about it........:D

17. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If its cold outside and you have the temp set to room temp in the cab it comes on immediately. Thanks to all of you I now know to keep the temp set at Low, that keeps the heat off.

18. LenP

LenP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You know for any other car this set up is fine...you need the ICE for a regular Prius or regular pure gas burner>, but for the PIP it would be very nice to easily turn it off and save the ICE for hybrid mode.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That should be what is invoking the ICE. I always turn the temp to LO before turning the fan off.

That's a tough situation to get heat in EV mode. Tough to get heat in a Leaf too, that's why they have heated seats and steering wheel in the 2012 models.

To get heat, i turn the fan on, then adjust temp up. usually I put it on feet and windshield defrost with the MODE button. I don't turn the temp up much, just to about 68 or so, which can make the ICE run a little more. I don't turn it up to 74 that i recall.

1 person likes this.
  20. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone mentioned, that having the AC on starts the ICE. Why is that? Running the AC (which is electric) should only require battery energy.