1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar car completes 1st ever round-the-world trip

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by ScubaGypsy, Dec 4, 2008.

1. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    From the Associated Press:

POZNAN, Poland (AP) -- The first solar-powered car to travel around the world ended its journey at the U.N. climate talks Thursday, arriving with the message that clean technologies are available now to stop global warming.

More information can be found here.

solarcar.jpg

2. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it looks like the two keys to its success are that it's lightweight (500kg) and that it has 6 square meters of solar panel surface area. I am curious to know how they packed 6 sq m. onto a roof that's only 1 or 2 sq m.? Or maybe they used the most efficient cells available, yielding an "equivalent" of 6 sq. m. compared to some other "average" solar cell. The photos seem to suggest that the panels on the roof fold out when there is room on the road, similar to how the wings on carrier-based aircraft fold out.

It appears that little trailer thing behind it may be to provide additional solar cell surface area, as well as luggage for the long trip?

3. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not sure about the rooftop solar panels, but I got to see this car in person at the Street Smart Expo in San Diego in July. I must say, it is incredible how they designed it.

4. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    awesome... it uses a trailer. i've been thinking about making a lighweight car with a PV trailer.. makes sense for trying to capture sun while keeping drag down.. wheels, rails and panels vs a full brick/car

i've been thinking of incorporating a similar design into a larger scale for trucks...