1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar fan working correctly?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by wxboy61, May 12, 2011.

1. wxboy61

wxboy61 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Under certain conditions the solar fan in my car will come on for a couple of seconds and then shut off and continue to do this for a while. Is this normal behavior? I'm assuming it is but I'm wondering what causes it. Is the temperature in the car borderline so it's just giving a short burst of outside air now and then? Is the voltage coming from the panel marginal and there isn't enough juice to keep it spinning so it stops? Just curious about this so maybe someone can shed some light on what's happening. Thanks.

2. walterm

walterm Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can't tell you why that happens, but mine does that too, so I guess it's normal.

More fun is the 'groaning' noise often heard when it's not quite bright (or warm?) enough to need to run the fan, but the switch is on so the system is active.

3. Buzzhead

Buzzhead Non-Interference w/ devel of pre-Warp civs

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Same for me, so I call it normal. I refer to the sound as "flatulence" (actually, I use a more anglo-saxon term).