1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar panel question...

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Celtic Blue, May 23, 2009.

1. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've not seen this addressed anywhere, but I've been wondering about the following: do solar panels (including those for water heating) reduce HVAC load by reducing some of the extremes of radiant gain/loss? If so, how much on an annual basis?

There is substantial lag in heating of the roof/walls during the day. The peak temps in my house tend to occur well after the ambient temp. has fallen, maybe as late as 8 PM. I've wondered how a "shade" on the roof might reduce this tendency...and PV or thermal solar would have such an effect.

While we want radiant heating/cooling at times, we don't want radiant heating in summer days, or radiant cooling on winter nights. T to the 4th can be a very strong driver (despite the small coefficient) and it takes awhile for the thermal mass to transfer heat to the interior.

I would expect this to be sustantially more important with a cathedral ceiling than with a well ventilated attic space (which already serves as a sort of radiant break.)

This would actually be an interesting thing to test in some identical homes: one with some sort of standard build and use, one with the same and a dummy solar array, one with the same and an active solar array (just for comparison and better econ.)

Picking numbers out of the air, if a rooftop solar array reduced HVAC load by 10-20% annually, then that could also figure into sizing (reducing initial install cost) as well as into project benefits.

2. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shawn,

I think you would be hard pressed to see a 10-15% decrease in ac use by 'shading' your roof with PV. It certainly couldn't hurt,, but to you would get a much more substantial benefit by adding insulation to the roof/attic. Even a vaulted/cathedral ceiling can have rigid foam added either on the under side with drywall or paneling added over the foam,, or on top of the roof deck, under new sheathing or steel roofing.

I think that any reduction in radiational losses by putting PV would be so slight as to be negligible.

One other thing to remember is the PV efficiency goes down with temperature. The higher the panel temps the lower the out put.

Icarus

3. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Our region is subject to several hail storms per year. How well do the panels hold up to hail stones and what about expense to replace on the roof of the house as well as the Prius ?

4. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have heard on almost no damage from hail on solar panels.

The angle of installation of most panels in N.America serve to allow a hail stone to be more of a glancing blow on solar panels. That and tempered glass keeps them from breaking in all but the worst hail events. In case you are worried,, you home owners insurance should cover any loss with no increase in premiums since it is such a rare event.

As for the Gen 3 Prius panels,, I have no opinion, except to say that I think it is more of a PR gimmick than a real contribution to fuel efficiency. I can't remember how big the panels on the Gen 3 are,, but if they are 100 watts it would be big. In one hour it would put ~70 watt hours into the car,,,, The regen car icons represent 50 watt hours for reference.

Good luck,

Icarus

1 person likes this.
  5. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks ! :)

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    and obviously very poor PR at that!! since its been long established that they do not contribute to fuel efficiency in any way. they only run the ventilation system while the car is turned off...

as far as solar panels reducing possible AC use. not sure that i understand why they would not make a difference? they collect solar energy that would otherwise hit the house and redirects it into electrical energy.

the real insulating property most materials employ is air. the tiny air spaces heat up reducing the heat that eventually filters into the house. solar panels should take a significant part of that heat away from the roof

7. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Most panels are warranteed up to a certain size hailstone. Ours are waranteed up to, I think, 2 inch hail.
    We have had Zero damage from the hail we have had in the last couple of years (which has all been no more than half that size at most).
    As for shading the roof, most systems don't cover that large of a fraction of the roof. I would suggest white (or even light colored) tiles or shingles and/or more insulation better ventilation (as already suggested) would be of more benifit.

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Watching the lag there is considerable thermal mass in those shingles and it is conducting to the decking, and then to the studs and into the drywall and into the house. The reverse occurs in the morning (and of course on frigid clear nights in winter.)

The amount of radiant absorbed is going to decline considerably if you shade the shingles versus having them in the sun. And where will the array be? In the best exposures that are impacted most by radiant heating in the Summer.

Found the following ASHRAE study for Champaign, IL. Note that the under-shingle temps are hitting as high as 77 C there in early June in a small subset of data they graphed...that's 171 F. You would have to double of triple the R value of the roof to have as much impact as shading it from reaching that temp.
    http://www.insulright.com/PDF%20FORMS/Roof%20Forms/Measured%20Summer%20Values%20of%20Sheathing%20and%20Shingle%20Temperatures%20for%20Residential%20Attics%20and%20Cathedral%20Ceilings.pdf

I do agree about color and such and yes adding more insulation in the way of foamboards would help, but would also be far from trivial in a large vaulted ceiling. Having an actual full thermal break from the studs would nice though. The study showed the white shingles reduced the under-shingle temp by 22-23% compared to the black.

Call me crazy, but this seems like something that would be worth estimating in the economics of a PV installation.

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As far as insulation and attics, in my climate it's essential to have a properly vented *and* insulated attic space. Otherwise, cold winter temps will not only cause condensation (With rot the result) but there also be ice dams on the roof edge

A climate that is primarily hot all the time, different approaches to attic insulation must be taken. But in a mixed or "4 seasons" climate, you must ensure proper attic ventilation

http://www.iko.com/misc/ArmaPdf/209-RR-86ArmarVen.pdf

For a catherdral ceiling, I would *never* consider a totally closed insulation system in my climate. That would all but guarantee condensation, mold, and eventual rot/failure

10. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's not closed in our home, it is vented, but the problem with a cathedral ceiling is that there is no easy way to improve the insulation (such as can be done in an attic.) The attic space itself gives a radiant break that is lacking in the cathedral ceiling.

The study does show an unvented cathedral for the one example that has a foam insulation layer below the sheating. However, the study is geared toward measuring the shingle temps as roofing material degradation is the concern, rather than analyzing heat transfer to the interior. The thermocouple placement reflects this. In fact all else being equal, a better insulated roof would have hotter shingles because of poor transfer to the interior (the major conduction heat sink for the shingles, vs. the convection heat transfer to air above and venting below.)

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Shawn,

Without details of your local climate I am just guessing that ventilation approaches will be a better improvement/cost than trying to shade the roof.

12. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the case a vented attic,, I think that any shading (from PV) would have almost no effect on a well insulated space below. (assuming ~R-40 insulation) The point is,, if you don't have you vented attic space insulated that well,, you should do that way before you invest in PV,, if you are in a net heating environment or net cooling environment.

Now if you have an cathedral ceiling with poor or no venting soffit to ridge the effect of covering the bulk of the roof might have a substantial effect on temperature inside the building. That said,,, I go back to my original suggestion that adding insulation, even on a vaulted ceiling might be cost effective.

Depending on local costs,, the idea of adding 2" of rigid foam under the ceiling and adding new dry wall over it might have a pretty quick pay off. It has been a long time since I bid drywall,, but let say you could get some one to hang, tape and finish a typical vaulted living room for $2000,, the insulation cost might be $200. If that took the vaulted ceiling from R-20 to R-50 you might have a pretty good pay off.

In the avenue of energy efficiency,, sometime one has to think a bit out of the box,,, and realize how inexpensive some changes can be,,, how expensive others can be.

Icarus

13. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    One of the things I gathered from that study was that venting vs. no venting wasn't having that much effect on the shingle temps in the cathedral ceiling.

There is little surprise to this result, the airflow is not rapid enough to carry away heat quickly. The air passages are limited and of great length. So the very hot surface is going to conduct as if the air temp was 170 F (or whatever it is on the shingle) versus say 100 F if it was shaded. The driving force is several times higher than it would be in the shade

And from being in attics I recognize that they are typically 20F or more hotter than ambient on a sunny day (roughly doubling the driving force at 100F ambient.)

Two inches of Foamular is R-10 (very good) and runs about $25/sheet for 4'x8' (just bought three a few weeks ago.) The drywall is about $8/sheet, then there is the joint compound, tape, fasteners, and paint. End cost of the materials is about twice that of the foam for my smaller project ($50/sheet), but on a larger project I suspect the net would be about $40/sheet since incremental paint cost/etc. would be lower.

I suspect it will cost far more in labor, but really don't have a feel for the going rates or the time it would take them. I know it would take me quite awhile and overhead would make it a two man job. Wouldn't surprise me if labor ran $4000.

Adding 2" all the way around means quite a bit of work squaring new corners and cuts on the complex cathedral ceiling, and a lot of time on scaffolding. I estimate about 30 panels (4'x8') so materials would run about $1200. Knock off about 30% for the Federal tax break and call it an even $800 for materials.

I'm not sure how the chandeliers, a fan, and a track would be rehung with the two inch additonal offset from the studs. Might need to build out a new box frame to string them from.

However, the foam would provide a decent radiant break and take the ceiling from about R30 (if memory serves with regards to the rafter and insulation I measured) to R40. Of course, one of the other problems with a vaulted ceiling is that you end up with additional surface area compared to a flat with attic.

14. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shawn,

You are on the right track. One other thing to consider is with the down economy in construction,, in may areas finding a after hours drywaller should be pretty easy,,, and a guy with the right tools,, and skills can tape and finish a ceiling in a couple part days. A couple of hangers should be able to hang the vaulted ceiling in a day or so.

Icarus

15. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Shawn

I'm not sure if I agree with that assessment

It has been my experience - in my climate - that the single largest contributor to lower roof deck temperatures is a properly ventilated roof. That means vented soffits, vent guides for the rafters, and *ideally* a completely vented ridge

As an example, vent guides for the rafters/trusses

Owens Corning Roofing: Raft-R-Mate? Attic Rafter Vents

For some reason, not too many builders use this product. It's actually pretty easy to block the soffit vents while insulating, especially with blown insulation. The vent guide prevents blocking the airflow

Although standalone attic vents are fairly common, it's far better to use a completely vented ridge system

Owens Corning Roofing: VentSure® 4-Foot Strip Heat & Moisture Ridge Vents

There are many benefits to using the above systems: attic stays cooler in hot sun, shingles last much longer, no ice dams in cold climates, no condensation/mold in attic, etc etc

16. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The problem Jay,, is in a vaulted ceiling,, 2X8 rafter,, with a high density r-21 fibreglass batt takes up almost the entire space. Ideally it would leave ~1" of vent space above the insulation,, but over a long rafter run,, the chance of plugging that vent in some or all the rafter bays is pretty good.

The same is true with a r-40 batt in a 2X12 rafter system. The ideal would be to fill the rafter space with rigid foam, with one layer under the framing as a thermal break.

Using baffle like your link is essential, especially with loose fill, blow in insulation.

Icarus

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Shawn,

How about planting a big tree ? Now that I watch golf because of Tiger Woods I've been amazed at what gardeners can do in no time flat.

18. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Kind makes it tough for the PV solar system to operate though!

Icarus

19. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've never liked cathedral ceilings. Never mind insulation, the tall ceiling means air stratifies. It's a trickey situation to put a ceiling fan in such a location

So that means in winter, the hot air rises and the floor is freezing. In summer the hot air can't be removed by the typical in-floor registers

Sounds like Shawn lives in a climate - though not as cold as mine - that gets cold. For tall ceilings, in hot climates, the A/C vents can be located in the ceiling.

In a climate with some form of winter, the vents have to in the floor. Otherwise, the floor will be ice cold

20. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We've actually got some pretty good sized trees and our upper deck is well into the canopy, but this is a tall structure and the western exposure is downslope so the trees on that side can't shade the roof. They do shade both stories on that side, and I open up a deck shade in late afternoon when I can to block some radiant gain through kitchen door/windows.

And as Icarus points out, you don't want any trees blocking solar. I see that as being somewhere on the distant horizon.

Haven't used any AC so far this year...although I normally would turn it on when the ambient breaks 80. We've had some low/mid 80's, and the average daily temps have been creeping up to the 73, 74 range. I've dialed in my actual "cooling degree days" as being when the average 24 hour ambient temp breaks about 70 F. With an average daily temp of 70, the outside temp in afternoon will most likely be in the 80's.