1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Panels Built Into Roads Could Be the Future of Energy

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Department of Energy just gave $100,000 to upstart company Solar Roadways, to develop 12-by-12-foot solar panels, dubbed "Solar Roads," that can be embedded into roads, pumping power into the grid. The panels may also feature LED road warnings and built-in heating elements that could prevent roads from freezing.

Solar Panels Built Into Roads Could Be the Future of Energy | Popular Science

2. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Well, I got all interested and went to their website. Major disappointment. It's a wish list -- no actual engineering. Just a fantasy.

So, read the specs, such as they are. While a regular road surface only lasts 7 years on average, theirs will last 21 years. And they're not just solar panels, they are also energy storage devices. And the system of panels will be able to work around breaks and patches of shade. And it'll be built with self-cleaning glass so it won't get dirty. But with a textured surface so cars won't skid on it. And so on.

But there is no detail at all on how you would actually make such a thing. None. At least none that I could see.

Yet, they've already trademarked the term solar Roadways, and they calculated cost savings per panel to the penny ($9923.16). Six significant digits -- that's a red flag.

Maybe this has some value as a thought exercise? Sort of an initial feasibility study? Nope. Their cost calculation is nonsense. This solar panel would replace the road surface, but they took the entire cost of building and maintaining roads as part of the cost savings from implementing this. So apparently (e.g.) highway bridges, roadbeds, lighting, pothole maintenance, and so on, are all free. And this solar panel would replace all other electrical generation, so the total current cost of electrical generation becomes cost savings. And if you get a two-day snowstorm in New England, ... I have no clue what's supposed to happen.

I can't imagine how they got a $100K grant for this.

I mean, the thesis is, if you had a huge surface area of solar panels, you could eliminate the cost of electrical generation. I get that, within limits. You could eliminate some of the cost of electrical generation. Now, why the hell do you want to drive on them? I mean, why not put them on roofs like normal people? The answer here seems to be, because you would then save the cost of the roadways -- the solar cells would do double-duty as solar cells and roads. But, just stop there. That's wrong. You'd still have most of the cost of the roads, you'd only potentially save the cost of the last layer of asphalt.

If this guy had some new product -- some nanotech material that could be embedded in the asphalt to transform it into a solar cell -- OK, that would be interesting. Same category as ... solar shingles, solar paint, etc. Solar asphalt. Might be useful. But he doesn't.

3. mgb4tim

mgb4tim Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    $100,000 grant is nothing. But, it all has to start somewhere.

4. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Now all we need is TRANSPARENT cars to the sun could actualy hit the Solar Roadway!!!!

5. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The real difficulty is in producing the special adhesive needed to attach the panels to the roadway. It is a glue made from the hooves of unicorns.

6. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Why this will not work: For light to enter the solar panels, the glass (actually, polymer) surface above them would have to be transparent. To create a non-slick surface for automobiles, the surface would have to be either opaque or have micro angles, which would deflect the light away from the solar panels. There is a logistical inhibition here. It will not work. Why don't we just start with covering every building and every house with solar panels first, and then when we have maxed out capacity on that, then we can explore other surfaces to mount solar panels.
    Note: To properly shade and cool your house, do not place the solar panels directly onto your roof. Place them raised up, above your roof (like a canopy) that provides shade over your roof. This will shade your house from the heating of direct sunlight.