1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Panels in MA

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by el Crucero, Nov 20, 2018.

1. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just returned from a very excellent vacation. We had the pleasure of visiting friends in Holiston, MA on Nov. 11. It was an unusually beautiful day for that time of year. I was very surprised to see the number of solar arrays on private homes, commercial buildings, and public places in that area. There are some on this Forum who say that solar panels don't work in the eastern US, but they obviously work for some people and purposes. Our friends had a small solar array on their equipment shed and are considering adding more. Obviously they are not as efficient as those that are fortunate to live in California, but apparently they DO work in MA.

Tesla has just reduced the cost of their solar panels by 10% to 20%. I expect that more people will now be able to enjoy the freedom of $0.00 electric utility cost like we do on our home.

3PriusMike and Zythryn like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you were right down the street from us, must have been the only nice day we've had since labor day weekend:cool:
    there has been a big push in the last decade or so, both public and private.
    if you have a clear sky, it is a pretty short payoff, and at 24 cents/kwh, well worth it.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...when the cost REALLY IS $0.00......I'll be one of them! ;)

Actually, our co-op allows their members to invest in a solar farm, allowing them to get some tax kickback money from uncle sugar.....so "statistically" some of my electricity is already "free."

When they start taxing solar energy.....then we will know that it's reached full economic viability.
    Until then?
    Yeah.....it's getting there in the northeast.

The sun shines there too......sometimes. ;)

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not in the last 70 days...

5. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Statistically" sunny.

Someday solar and battery tech will allow for sun worshipers even in the Frozen North to enjoy solar that is economic both statistically and 'real-world'

....just make sure you have a plan for Hurricanes, snow loading and Nor'easters.....;)

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    solar panels that could absorb economically on cloudy days would be amazing

7. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a few small panels for aux lighting, some IOT sensors and one gate motor on my country place.

They spit out some watts even on cloudy days - something like 10-20 percent if I'm accurately informed.
    For very low use items suck as motion activated aux lighting, sensor ops, and gate actuators.....I just have to budget for the overhead in the charge controllers and my electrical consumption - or - just guess and buy more solar than I think I need.

These are early days yet.
    One for fox....
    One for crow...

bisco likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why we need gov incentives, to keep the r&d momentum going

9. el Crucero

el Crucero Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Framingham? Who was the architect for the Nieman-Marcus building? My guess is Frank Gehry.

Solar panels continue to work (at a reduced rate) on both cloudy and overcast days. Where they don't work is direct shade, from overhanging trees or adjacent buildings, e.g. I doubt they work well when covered in the four letter word beginning with the letter "S" that is common in your area during the winter.
    The engineers at Solar City do all of that for you and they are very experienced. They size your panels based on your historical consumption and local weather conditions. They will not sell you a system larger than what you need. They sized mine spot on.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Snow doesn't stay around long on PV panels. As soon as a corner gets clear, it starts heating up.

Zythryn likes this.
  11. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Or they are just mis-informed.

It is a matter or latitude; they work better the nearer to the equator that you are.
    It has nothing to do with longitude, your position east or west.

There is a fair amount of geography that is farther south than California......all the way across the country.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suspect he meant northeast, since that is where he was visiting

13. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    They work just fine in Minnesota. Certainly not as well as southern CA, but they are still cheaper here than paying the utility for the same amount of electricity (prior to any incentives).

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cheaper prior to incentives? I have not seen that idt

15. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Cheaper over the lifetime of the panels, yes.
    Just taking the full cost of the panels, adding repair/replacement costs for the inverters (as they won’t last 35 years), and dividing by the expected lifetime production, our costs is 12.5 cents/kWh. That cost won’t increase for the next 35 years. I doubt you would get the same deal from the grid.
    With the federal incentives, that cost is about 8.5 cents/kWh.

This calculation is different for everyone. For example, I am in a stable area and don’t expect to move, ever. So I should see that full return (if I live that long). For someone renting, this doesn’t work.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The problem I see with the break even calculators is the future kWh cost. Hard to predict

17. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Pretty easy to say it won’t be going down;)

el Crucero and bisco like this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :)Can’t argue with that

19. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As mentioned, it is advantage solar panels on this metric as the solar cost is “locked in” at time of purchase and historically utility kWh prices just rise with time.

Hard to say this as a solar owner and big proponent, but still have to point out the financial downside to solar: cost opportunity losses. That is perhaps the biggest problem with solar and other eco-tech break-even calculations.

Had we not gone solar and kept paying our utility the usual way, invested the money we put into our solar panels instead into our general strategy of S&P index or other broad mutual funds, we may have never broken even with solar (yes, here in sunny CA and with our pricy utility PG&E). If instead we were rather conservative investors and kept our earnings in CDs, certainly solar would be the financial victor.

At the end of the day sometimes it is about finding the lowest hanging green tech fruit for the buck. Solar would then still make a lot of sense in numerous scenarios.

3PriusMike and bisco like this.
  20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, and i'm not arguing that at all. if i had the application, i would gladly pay more.