1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar powered bus is a world first for Adelaide

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by patsparks, Dec 14, 2007.

1. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tindo Solar Bus

[​IMG]
    The Adelaide City Council has raised the standard in International sustainability with the introduction of the world’s first solar-powered electric bus.

It’s the first electric solar bus is recharged using 100% solar energy, and is a free everyday service for the people of Adelaide through the Council’s Adelaide Connector Bus service.

Manufactured by New Zealand company Designline International, the bus doesn’t have a combustion engine, which makes it a very quiet, zero emissions vehicle.
    [​IMG]

It features high quality, state-of-the-art components sourced from some of the
    world’s leading transport and technology companies including MAN and Siemens.

And in a further ‘green’ development being introduced by the Adelaide City Council, the bus will be recharged using a solar photovoltaic system supplied by BP Solar [​IMG]and installed at the soon-to-be-completed Adelaide Central Bus Station.

This system is the largest grid connected solar photovoltaic system in the State, and means the bus is also carbon neutral.

The air-conditioned solar electric bus can carry up to 42 passengers, with 25 [​IMG]standard seats, two seats especially designed for disabled passengers, and room
    for 15 standing passengers.

The solar electric bus and the recharging system at the Adelaide Central Bus Station represent a significant investment by the Adelaide City Council into a sustainable future for the City of Adelaide, while providing leadership in sustainable public transport options for cities around Australia.

Lifed from http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/scripts/nc.dll?ADCC:STANDARD::pc=PC_151048

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    What kind of batteries does it have?

3. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'll see if I can find out but most likely lead acid.

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is sweet!

But why did they make it look like a Caterpillar? lol

Maybe they are taking cues from Melbourne and working on their public tranportation sector? I.E. they realize that building more roads does not make the pollution and traffic congestion problem better.

5. patsparks

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I work for the Department for Transport (but I didn't know about this bus) and they are building more and better roads. They have also extended the single electric tram line in Adelaide which runs from Glenelg to Adelaide's centre, the line now runs to the railway station right through the middle of Adelaide. Our trains are all diesel but there has been talk of electrification.
    Most of the road improvements are aimed at smoothing traffic flows to reduce emissions and commute times. Also all new roads have dedicated bicycle lanes and some have bus lanes during peak hours.

This electric bus will be used within city of Adelaide and North Adelaide only. The bus depot where it will recharge is the only place a route service bus will be garaged within the city. Most buses are housed in Mile End which is outside of the city or further afield than that.

6. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    JMD likes this.
  8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Most likely poorly managed. The CEO was a former politician. If you think about it Politicians have a horrible record running a enterprise for a profit. The USA federal and almost every state and many cities GOV spend more than they make.

9. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    With some notable exceptions- like the Mayor of our local metropolis for example...