1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar-Powered Cabin Blower Motor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by obscenefrogtour, Oct 28, 2017.

1. obscenefrogtour

obscenefrogtour New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hey All,

I'd like to power my 2008 Prius' cabin squirrel fan blower motor (the one right below the cabin filter in the glove box) with the car off using a solar panel.

I already bought the solar panel & a switching voltage regulator to be set to 12v (I'm skipping the battery). I was originally going to just power some 12v fans sitting on the dashboard, but if I can use the car's built-in fans, that's much better.

Does anyone have details on how the Prius' Blower Motor electronics work? Is it possible to send my 3-12v to the existing wires? Or is it necessary to install a switch & toggle between my solar panel's input & the car's input?

Cheers

2. obscenefrogtour

obscenefrogtour New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Update: I found the power plug for the Blower Motor!

I removed the glove box, the black plastic "kick-plate" on the bottom, the Transmission Control box, and the white plastic that sits just above the "kick-plate" & below the Blower Motor (sorry, I don't know proper terms). Then you can clearly see a black electric wires running out of the Blower Motor.

On my gen2 2008 prius, there's only 2 wires: positive & negative. I've seen newer Prius videos show an additional blue "control" wire.

This plug is labeled 246451-1650.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I turned the car on with A/C off (fan only) at high speed & hooked my multimeter up to these 2 wires, and I registered 12.15 volts. I turned the fan speed down to the lowest setting, and the voltage dropped to 10.37 volts.

Next I'll try to hook my solar panel -> voltage regulator -> this plug. Unfortunately, it's a rainy day today, so no free solar power for me to test it :\

SFO likes this.
  3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any updates or potential progress worth posting ?

4. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Wow seems like a whole lot of trouble for something you can buy off the shelf at Wal-Mart for less than $10.00 and up to $30.00 other places with many different styles. each allowing you to leave your windows closed.

Just google: solar powered fan for car

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some of the third gens have a solar roof (considerably bigger than any walmart "solar car fan") and use that to power the HVAC blower. That actually does enough to get noticeable ventilation going and cool down the interior; I'm not sure how close to that a $10 unit is going to get.

As to controlling the Gen 2 fan, hobbit wrote up a page on working with that fan controller and having a remote control when the car is off. Here it is.

One thing to think about is, the third-gen models that come with the solar roof also come with a brushless fan motor. I think they figure that fan is going to run a lot more hours than a normal one only used when you're driving, so they didn't want it to have brushes as wear items.

-Chap