1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Roof Pkg - Worth it?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by zerostudio, Jan 22, 2011.

1. zerostudio

zerostudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello,

Looking to buy my first Prius III.

I definitely want the Nav. Pkg - but what about going with the Roof Pkg which includes the Nav. Pkg. Is it worth having or the price? The deals are so low now that the Roof package might be an extra 500 at this point over the Nav only option.

Just curious if its functional and if the "Powered Ventilation System and Remote Air Conditioning System" features really work etc...

Thanks!

2. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's worth it if you park outside during the day. If you garage your car at home and park indoors at work, you won't benefit from it.

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my opinion, I think the crux comes down to how much would you enjoy a factory installed and warrantied moonroof, more than how much you would enjoy the potential benefits of the solar panel.

Most people who have purchased and own the solar panel, will tell you it's ventilation option is anything and everything from "neat" to "greatest tool ever!".

The only real reason I ever considered the solar panel, was it gave you a moonroof from the factory...

4. zerostudio

zerostudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That totally makes sense - I do like having a moonroof - so I will go for it if the $$'s are right.

Thanks for the input

5. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree w/ TEM above. Personally, when I bought mine, deals like you describe were not to be found ;( But, I've always had sun/moon roofs on my cars, and would have gladly paid an $800 or so option price for just a regular (factory) moonroof. So, if I were in your shoes (i.e., definitely getting the NAV), I'd look at it as getting the NAV with an inexpensive (but factory warrented) sun/moon roof thrown in at a great price. AFA the solar panel/ventilation thing? I could (and can and do) live without it and think it's more sizzle than steak. But if it really is only $500 more than you already plan to spend, I'd say go for it. It should add more than that in resale value. But enjoy it for its "moonroofdom" rather than its solar-powered ventilation high-tech solution to a problem you didn't know you had.

But most importantly, enjoy it.
    ~T

6. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Options don't necessarily add more than they're worth in resale value, not even the Adv. Technology package. In fact, a stripped down II holds its value the best. However, it might be easier to sell or sell faster.

I agree with getting the SR if you just like having a moonroof even if you won't benefit from the cooling.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Sit in both. The sunroof certainly reduces headroom, I found.

8. viclavigne

viclavigne New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Worth it is very subjective. If you live and park in a hot area, then it would be beneficial at least. We got one Prius with the solar roof package, and put it in the IV trim package, adding their Safety Connect system to the car. If you're going to fret about the money spent, I'd say forego it. But you can probably find really good deals right now as they try to sell the 10 models to make room for 11 models, so you might get the package for a really good price.

9. Craigmri

Craigmri New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Living in Florida we LOVE having the solar roof when parked outside during the long brutal hot summer. Here in Florida I can attest to the effectiveness. If I lived in Chicago........Maybe not so much.

Craig

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last summer, both Priuses were parked outside the house on the street. The difference between the two is astounding. The 2010 with the SR was cooler and more bearable (didn't activate Remote A/C), the 2005 (Tideland Pearl w/ Bisque interior) was much hotter and we're not in a hot climate.

11. Tink

Tink New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Love to hear that! I got mine because I love a moonroof. But I really like having the solar panel. West TX gets hot, but also like the wow factor.

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well most people think it only works for southern states and I'm saying it works well in Canada lol. People don't realise that some arctic sites can hit 30°C in the summer.

13. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I were still living in Florida I would have looked harder for a solar package.

Our vehicles' interiors rarely feel hot here (certainly compared to FL), so it seemed a moot point.

14. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd suggest it works better in Northern climates with generally cooler outside temps. Even in AZ, it does provide some difference. Don't expect the interior to be identical to the exterior temp, but to be cooler than the same car w/o a roof (or with the roof turned off).

15. zerostudio

zerostudio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks so much everyone... that's very helpful. I will keep you posted on what I end up getting. Yes Chicago summers are or can be brutal - so I would def use it for a good 6 months - the rest no so much :)

16. beck4164

beck4164 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When i bought my Prius III a few weeks ago, I sat in both ones with sun roofs and ones without and found that the sun roof used up to much headroom. I am 6'5" and my head was hitting the roof with the sun roof installed.

The solar panel only cools the car to the outside temp so it seems pretty useless when I can just crack the windows.

Teacake likes this.
  17. Teacake

Teacake OohShiny

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I know this is a very old post in a very old thread - but this is extremely useful! My partner is 6'4" and I'm considering vehicles with and without the solar roof. While I would love having the sunroof, one of the issues with my current vehicle is it's too small for him. :D

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah to see the headroom reduction (with/without solar roof) test by sitting in the front passenger seat, which is not height adjustable. Adjustable seat height just muddies the water if you're trying to compare.

I'm a shade under 6', and my (bristly) hair was uncomfortably brushing the roof in the solar model. Also, there's been lots of reports of the solar roof gaskets failing.

19. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've never had an issue with our solar roof, either head clearance, or with the gaskets. You definitely should check both, closely. I've been in Priuses without the sunroof, and I feel claustrophobic.

Be sure to learn about the EGR system problems in the Gen-3 Prius.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Gen 3 has a really high mounted front passenger seat so make sure your partner can fit (he won't with the solar roof but he might without one). The driver's seat is adjustable so if he's driving, he might be able to fit even with the solar roof but definitely try it out.

I got lucky with mine and I haven't had any of the issues other solar roof owners had - mostly because mine is garaged at home and only parked outside at work so there's less UV damage to the gaskets around the moonroof. I loved my solar roof though and kinda miss the feature in our Gen 4s.