1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar roof questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by LDB, Jun 16, 2013.

1. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the solar roof have a complete cover to block the sun and heat? Does the solar powered ventilation system work if the inside cover((s) presuming they exist) are fully closed? How much help is the ventilation system when parked midday in south Texas heat/humidity? What is a "remote air conditioning system" mentioned on Edmunds? Thanks for any and all education on this option and system.

2. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

It's a moonroof / solar roof. There's a sliding cover for the moonroof. Slide it back, then open moonroof.

Solar roof is right behind moonroof. It sits on top of roof. Inside the car, it's regular ceiling material in that section.

So, yes, there's a complete cover like regular roof to block sun. And solar vent works when moonroof is closed. I don't know if you could sit in the car in midday Houston. I don't know about the humidity situation, but heard it can be miserable in Houston.

I rented Prius 4 with solar. It was sunny but only in 60s F (memorial day weekend SF Bay Area), back in the car, the fan runs and will continue to run when you get back into the car. Was a trip to feel the car much cooler in the sun. Lot cooler than if using a windshield shade which I wasn't using.

You hit remote A/C button with xx feet of car, it will pre-cool the car as you're walking up to it. Didn't try that, but sounds good.

I would think you'd benefit a lot from all this in Houston.

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    The solar roof is the rear half of the roof, the inside under it is just a regular roof liner.

The front half of the solar roof is the sunroof, which opens and tilts and has a cover that can be slid closed which does not let light in through the glass like most oem sunroofs.

Another moderator on here has the solar roof on his and he lived in Arizona and loves it. I'm sure it'd help in Texas as well.

Remote air conditioning is a button on the remote you press and it will run the a/c up to 10 minutes I think to help cool the cabin. Just remember you have to be in range of the key fob, so you can't be in the mall and simply press the button and have it start the ac in the car out in the parking lot...

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have it and it is a nice option. There is a Button on the dash to turn it on or off. If on the outside temp needs to be greater than 70 degrees for it to go on. Keeps the inside of the car cooler and cleans out the pollen. The cabin air filter needs to be replaced occasionally.

5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think he was saying that the inside cover, when closed, let's no light in.
    To clarify, the sunroof *can* be tilted open to a venting position without affecting the solar panel's function. This is my preferred configuration for when I'm parked at work.

As far as the solar powered fan's effectiveness, bear in mind that it's just blowing some outside air thru the vents. With the sun on the large black dash board it will get plenty hot when sitting in the East Texas sun.
    ...But less hot than without the blower.

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it boggles my mind how few people take 10 seconds to put up a windshield shade. They must be so hurried to get into work.

7. LDB

LDB Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm a firm believer in windshield shades. This sounds like a nice addition though. I'll definitely have to factor it in to my final decision.

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Solar Powered Ventilation System and Remote A/C can be operated separately but of course to get the full benefit, you would want to use both.

SPVS basically vents the car for you (so you don't have to leave the windows cracked). It keeps the car cooler than it would've been if the air was stagnant inside the cabin. The windshield shade helps. The SPVS runs for as long as there is incoming solar radiation (and the interior is over 68F). This will continue to run even if you unlock the car to put something inside. As long as you don't start the car or go to IG-ON, it'll run.

The Remote A/C is a button on your remote. Press and hold this button to activate it. It will turn on the climate control to your last setting and further cool the car down with cold air. The engine is not on. The reason that this can happen is because the A/C compressor is electric and thus runs off the hybrid battery. This will run for 3 mins or until the battery is down to 2 bars or you open the door (this is why I made the distinction in the last paragraph about SPVS still running if you open the door).

JMD likes this.