1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Sunroof, Does anyone have this?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by brettg, Aug 24, 2008.

1. brettg

brettg New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was just checking this out, Does anyone have the solar sunroof that recharges your battery? I have a 2008 prius, got any suggestions, what do you think, is it worth it, and how much did you pay? Also have you heard of any problems with them and does it void toyotas warranty? Heres the link, check it Products

Thanks!

2. nyty-nyt

nyty-nyt Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I have sent these guys a request for information.
    Thanks for the post...this is more interesting than PEHV conversion, I think.
    My only reservation is that they are in CA and I am near Detroit MI.

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It has been posted about before.

What it does:

1. Will keep your 12V battery fully charged. Note that the 12V battery is fully charged when you shut off the car. Also note that the 12V power doesn't aid your mileage. -IF- you park in a sunny area (not shaded, underground, or garage parking) it will keep your 12V battery fully charged if you leave the car parked for weeks without using it.

2. Extracts about $2000 from your wallet.

3. Looks really cool.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    "The SEV system qualifies for Federal renewable energy tax credits of up to $2,000 or 30% if purchased with a residential solar electrical system. This lowers the net cost of the SEV system and allows for a 2 to 3-year break-even."

Um, this is a totally bizarre and stupid statement. If you purchase the residential system, you get the $2000 back without having to buy this cartop system. i.e. buying it with the residential system gets you nothing more than buying them separately.

5. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It's not worth the investment if no MPG enhancement is observed.
    Like others said, keeping the 12V fully-charged has nothing to do with improving the MPG.

6. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Actually their FAQ says that it comes with a supplemental HV battery and has a range of up to 20 miles (most likely 5 to 10 miles IMO) when combined with the factory HV battery.

7. joel7269

joel7269 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    So nobody has done this? The website states that it can improve fuel economy between 17 to 29% and can last 30 years.
    If it cost 2k and you can get that kind of increase it might be worth it?

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They say that it comes with some kind of extra traction battery, charges it. I'd want to know more about this second battery and how they integrate it into the existing system. I would expect it to blow away large parts of your warranty.