1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solar Ventilation Operation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by shaun5stu, Mar 29, 2010.

1. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just bought two new Prius IVs with the solar package. The docs say the solar ventilation won't start working until the car has been parked for 10 minutes. I live in Arizona, where it's sunny and hot most the year. I'm sure I could benefit from having the ventilation start immediately after the car is parked (or locked). Any one know the reasoning behind the 10 minute delay?

(I've had the car less than 24 hours so far, but the one time I've parked it in the sun, I've noticed the system does seem to make a big difference in keeping the interior from getting super hot.)

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There is a time delay to give the inside cabin of the car time to go above outside ambient temperature... That's just how they programmed it to work and I am not aware of any way to change it.

3. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've never actually timed it, and in fact, not even sure if the time given in the manual isn't an estimate. I would think the delay has more to do with how long it takes for the car to heat up, and when the inside cabin temperature equals, or exceeds the outside, the system is activated. Whatever that time is, it does take minutes for the inside to heat up. It's not instantaneous, that's for sure. If it was, you would end up bringing in warmer outside air into the cooler cabin...and that would make no sense to do so.

IMO, the system works as intended (ie, it brings the inside cabin temperature down close to whatever the outside air temperature is). I can't say that my car ever felt uncomfortably hot after sitting hours in the hot sun....unlike prior cars that I've owned that did not have this solar cooling system.

4. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Living in AZ I suppose you use the AC all the time. The solar package is a good option for you. I guess the engineers in Tsutsimi, JP think it takes 10 minutes for the conditioned air in the cockpit to heat up enough for the solar gizmo to effect vent-mode. Gotta love the Asian logic on this one.

5. njmurvin

njmurvin Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does anyone know why they didn't design the solar cells to charge the batteries when not powering the fan? Seems like a logical thing to do.

6. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm sure the primary purpose of the solar roof is to prevent a closed car turning into an oven in hot sun. The delay makes sense in high temperatures. You don't want warmer air coming in before the cooling from the a/c has disappeared.

7. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    As discussed in previous threads - there's technical reasons against this - panel output isn't all that high, and the panels turn into a giant noise antenna (transmitter) if left connected while the car is on.

I find the 10 minutes to be adequate in all but the hottest days. You'll still want a HeatShield or equiv on your windshield from late April through late October. Also, remember to close the sunshade on the moonroof ;)

With good sun exposure, this time of year (late fall or early spring) in AZ you'll find the most benefit from the solar roof. With winter declination of the sun, there's just not enough panel coverage and the motor doesn't start or stay running long (though it generally doesn't need to).

Solar venting on the hottest summer days isn't as effective as one might like, but it still makes a difference. Problem is the cowl where the air intake is located is black, which tends to preheat the air, making it 5-10°F hotter than ambient as it enters the cabin. Despite this, I've found that the interior (in the shade) is 10-15°F higher than ambient (vs MUCH higher without) when it's 115°F outside. Combine w/ a brief spell of remote AC (which will cool off the ducting as well as drop the cabin by a few degrees) before you enter, and it's still a worth-while option for me.

8. shaun5stu

shaun5stu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks everyone for the info. Yeah, I have the AC on most the time, so I guess the 10 minute wait isn't that bad since the interior will likely be cool to start with. And I'll be getting my windows tinted soon too.

9. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Can you ellaborate on your statement?

The solar panel turns into a (noise) transmitter? Do you have a link to some technical article?

What does this have to do with using the solar pannel to trickle-charge either battery in the Prius?

10. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I'm editing my post because I just found an article which has a reply from Akihiko Otsuka, Chief Engineer of Toyota.

Here was the source: http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/energy/23179/

11. ljbad4life

ljbad4life New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I think that's hogwash. people with large solar panels on their home wouldn't be able to listen to the radio in their home. Analog TVs would have static and cell phones would be inaudible (given the strength of the PV panels on homes compared to on the prius). Or it's no work the R&D time for toyota to figure it out. There are cars coming to market with PV on the roof, so if you follow Toyota's reasoning none of those cars would have radios (too much static and in reference to the Nissan Leaf and the Fisker Karma)

A non-bs answer is that it simply not powerful enough to do any good charging the battery (but it could trickle charge the 12-Volt). So I guess Toyota can spread FUD as good as anyother company

12. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe I have a noisy fan but I can usually hear the solar powered cooling operating when I approach the car. The 10 minutes thing cannot be true as I have often stopped and rushed into a shop to get a drink and when I come out a few minutes later I can hear the fan and feel the breeze from it when I get back in.

As for having it charge the battery. How big would the panel have to be to fully charge the battery over a few hours. Even when I descend a long hill and manage to get the battery indicating fully charged the car does not suddenly decide to run on battery power alone unless I keep the speed well down. The benifit of a fully charged battery is fleeting thing.

So for me leave it alone doing what it does now. It has meant that I no longer have to go searching for a car parking spot under a tree as the combination of slightly open moonroof plus solar powered ventilation means over this summer just finished I have not returned to a sweltering hotbox like I have with past cars.

David

13. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Ditto. I don't believe it for a second...

But even if there was some feedback that somehow coupled to the solar array that then acted like an antenna to cause FM inteference, surely Toyota could put a choke in the line to filter out the appropriate frequencies?

At the very least, answers like this make me doubt the credibility, and/ or honesty of toyota engineering.

14. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

As I mentioned in another post, I suspect the 10 minute delay that another poster reported, is an estimated average delay time. The point is - it's not instantaneous once the car is turned off. My guess is the time delay is related to how long it takes for the inside of the car to get hotter than the outside.

As far as the solar cells charging up the battery. I think most of us are referring to trickle charging the 12V battery, and not the much larger traction control battery. Given that there has been a lot of concern from posters about their 12V battery going dead after lengthy stays at the airport (for example), being able to trickle charge the 12V battery when not in use for extended periods would be a very nice feature, IMO.

15. sideman59

sideman59 Junior Member

Model:
    IV
    The slick lit says that the solar ventilating fan starts up after the interior temp gets above 68F, not hotter than the outside. I agree though that in full sun the inside can get hotter than the outside and who'd care if it was only 68F outside anyway?

sideman59

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I'm no EE. :(

I really wish I could find the post where someone here on PC I recall talked about the cost of components to get rid of the interference being way too high. I thought it was something along those lines.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...panels-charge-hv-battery-pack.html#post997988 talks about the output.

17. avian

avian New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My prius makes a noise when I approach it, solar fan on or off (and its usually no running in the parking garage.. no sun and all). I think its just a startup noise it makes getting ready for you to start the car when the key gets in range. You'll notice the lights come on too.

18. rlr66

rlr66 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in Orlando where it's always sunny and can get pretty hot too. The SR system keeps the car from getting very hot. I have my windows tinted and use a heat shield.

I believe the delay is for the SR to get enough energy to run the fans. I've sat in the car and the system will start and stop after a few seconds for a couple of times. After a little while it will run. I've never found the interior to be as hot as my previous car's interior did.

Even though it pulls the outside air, which is hot, it's still not as hot as a closed car parked in the sun would have been. I'm very satisfied with it.

19. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am an EE. The cost of removing interference from a battery charger driven by the roof PV array is not the limiting factor. It is the cost verses benefit verses development schedule that killed it. All companies have finite resources, even big ones like Toyota. Product decisions are being made constantly that weigh the costs and benefits for each development project. Apparently Toyota took a quick look at using the PV as a charger, but when they ran into some interference issues they decided it wasn't worth the effort.

This isn't to say that it's a big problem, or even a costly problem, but simply a problem that Toyota didn't believe they needed to address at this time. Stuff like this happens all of the time in the engineering world.

Tom

20. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Agreed about the trade-offs and cost/benefit. We make these same decisions all the time in software development.

IIRC, someone here on PC went into the types of components needed (the explanation seemed reasonable) and mentioned their cost. I wish I could find the post.