1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solara Sirus Radio install in Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by danoday, May 15, 2005.

1. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    OK, granted that Sirius Radio was/is covered in another message, but it probably bears having a dedicated topic discussing this particular application.

Toyota released word last week that they now have a Sirius satellite radio option for the Toyota Solara (press release is at Yahoo! Finance ). As many of you already know, the Toyota Solara XM radio solution unofficially works in the Prius.

So, I stopped by the local dealer on Friday afternoon and talked to the service manager. He said these units are available for delivery in about two days, and sees no reason why the unit won't fully work on the Prius... including full operation through the MFD, and storing presets in the SAT1, SAT2, and SAT3 locations. The unit is priced at $199, and requires the purchase of a vehicle-specific fit/trim kit... that isn't available for the Prius, so the dealer service manager said he'd have to wing it with whatever else was available. I think it was somewhere around $50 for the Solara, but the service manager didn't know exactly what that included.

He's willing to take a crack and putting one in my Prius, but offers no guarantees that it will work (and suggested that if it doesn't, I'd be on the hook for labor... that is probably kind of reasonable, I guess).

So, here's the point of this post... I'm not going to have time to get it done for a few weeks, so if you are ambitious, and feel like having a dealer install one of these, please post your experiences here. If you know of a sound reason why the Solara Sirius radio won't work in a Prius, post that here as well. Please limit the thread to just discussion of whether or not the Solara Sirius receiver works in the Prius, and what your experiences with it have been. We'll leave general Sirius and satellite radio discussions to other threads.

A lot of us are probably considering having this done, so the shared experience will be helpful. Thanks.

Dan

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I can't see why it won't work. It is listed as a device ID in the repair manual for the AVC network, which is different from XM. Would be interesting to know if XM and Sirius would work together, since they supposedly have different IDs.

3. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Danoday, great to hear about the kit. Do you have any part numbers?

I'll be putting one in my Prius ASAP.

Nate

4. Airgetlam

Airgetlam Junior Member

As soon as I get back from E3, I'll be talking to my dealer about this.

If you have part numbers, I'd appreciate it as well. My dealer is sometimes a bit clueless.

Bruce
    Silver BC

5. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Part numbers:

Sirius Receiver: Needed for all vehicles: PTS31-00050 MSRP: $199

You'll also need ONE of the fit kits below:

Land Cruiser Fit Kit: PTS31-60050 MSRP: $100
    Scion xB Fit Kit: PTS31-52050 MSRP: $100
    Camry, Solara, Scion tC and xA Fit Kit: PTS31-00051 MSRP: $100

PTS31-00051 has an interior glass mount antenna that goes on the windshield.

-60050 and -52050 have a small roof mount antenna

-60050 has a special wiring harness with a "Y" for the main cable. However, it also has an Amp interface which will not fit the Prius. Hard to say whether the harness can be adapted to fit the Prius harness or whether simply leaving it disconnected will work fine. However, this kit shows the most promise since the Land Cruiser uses the same display as the Prius.

For all kits, the module is intended to be mounted under the passenger seat. This means the harness is shorter than the XM kit harness, so the module will likely have to go under the seat.

Nate

6. will35216

will35216 New Member

So, Nate, you were able to install Sirius in your Prius? Which of the 3 fit kits did you settle on?
    Thanks!
    - wil