1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOLD: 2008 Prius Base Package 2 with back-up camera

Discussion in 'Prius Cars For Sale' started by Susie10, Dec 8, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Susie10

Susie10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One owner with Clean Title in Northern Colorado

VIN: JTDKB20U683365858

MILEAGE: 180,330

COLOR: Silver mica green w/grey interior upholstery

2 smart key fobs

Original ICE, original hybrid battery, original brakes, original combo meter

I used dealerships/grease monkeys for regular maintenance, and have records. Not too long after a 165,000 mileage multi-point inspection at a dealership in 9/2021, the car started driving weird and my first CEL came on which made me suspicious of what they’re actually checking. Well, my spark plugs were toast and needed replacing which had happened at 101,000 miles. I don’t know if sparks plugs are part of a regular inspection or if that needs to be requested? Regardless, the stealership wanted to charge me more than $500 to replace them. Another mechanic wanted to charge me even more. After much cursing and frustration, I became a regular lurker on PriusChat and decided that I could learn to do my own maintenance. My co-worker’s husband walked me through replacing spark plugs and after that, I used the generous knowledge of PriusChat members to perform the rest.

December 2021-present:
    • 12/24/21: Spark plugs (Denso Iridium)

2/5/22-2/17/22: PCV valve, clean MAF sensor, clean throttle body, clean catalytic converter w/CRC intake valve cleaner to clear P0420 code

2/17/22: Oil change @171,000 (Purolator One filter; 5W-30 Castrol high mileage)

3/22: Headlight assemblies and bulbs

3/12/22: 12V battery

4/23/22: downstream O2 sensor

5/22: Miller Cat Shield V2 (MillerCat Deadbolt and Exhaust Hangar included but not installed)

5/30/22: Oil change @176,387 (Toyota OEM filter; 5W-30 Castrol high mileage synthetic)

10/1/22: Oil change @179,384 (Toyota OEM filter; 5W-30 Castrol high mileage synthetic)
    TIRES: Yokohama Avid Ascend tires bought at 152,000 miles. The driver side rear tire just got a flat Sunday morning 11/20/22 and I replaced it with a used tire. I figured the new owner would prefer to choose which tires they want and get their warranties versus me choosing some cheap new tires. TPMS light will not turn off now!

EXTERIOR: front plastic grill is damaged and falls inward easily, front bumper has a vertical crack in the middle, back bumper has scratches and dings, no accidents - but while parked in Brooklyn back in 2008, it was scraped causing some minor dents on the passenger door which were bumped out but still slightly noticeable. The hatch switch rubber fell apart and came off the handle about 2 months ago and needs replacing. The hatch still opens and closes appropriately, just not comfortable on the fingers.

INTERIOR: replaced cover on center console with leather + padding, drivers side armrest on door is cracked and worn, after market floor mat on the driver side due to the all-weather mat getting worn out, trunk mat is stained, the cover for the cigarette adapter in the passenger front won't stay closed

After the updates, she runs much smoother (45 MPG in summer, 41 so far this winter), but she still burns oil (about a quart every 1000 miles), which is not good. She takes a lot longer to warm up and idles for a long time in the cold weather. This morning, there was a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust while she was warming up. The ICE kicks in with every acceleration and takes time to turn off when stopped unless she's really warmed up. She will need an engine rebuild in the near future. Or someone more experienced to try the piston soak to see if that will help. I haven’t received any more CEL warnings, but I can’t seem to clear the tire pressure light after changing that rear tire. The combo meter has gone out twice this past year, so that will need a new capacitor in the near future. I haven’t received any warnings regarding the hybrid battery, but it definitely runs out while trying to drive up the mountain passes on I70 and will need some upgrade love soon. I haven’t needed to replace the brakes and I tend to B downshift to slow down versus riding the brake pedal, but they could probably use replacing after 180,000 miles of driving.

She was driven many miles, almost all over the USA, during her first five years of her life. That has died down over the last decade of her life and she is mainly driven locally, not always daily and not very far distances, and parked in a garage. Passed emissions in Colorado in Dec 2021 and good til Dec 2023.

BONUS: CURT hitch installed for using bike racks; 4 GTR Champiro ICEPRO Studded tires mounted on rims with lug-nuts (Used only 1 season and sitting wrapped in garage); THULE roof rack bars with locks and keys; SOFT RIDE bike rack for up to 4 bikes (recommend using only 2 with Prius) with lock and keys; snow chains

$2500 with the bonus snow tires, roof rack, bike rack, and MillerCat deadbolt (needs to be installed) or $2000 without the extras

Attached Files:

2. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a cheap price. I read your discussion about pricing yesterday. At $2500 with this extras I would buy it in a minute but I’m in Hawaii and sometimes in California. I suggest getting offers from those interested and let them buy by auction. My guess in todays crazy car market you’ll get $4000+

3. Brian in Colorado

Brian in Colorado New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Susie!
    It's funny the parrallels... I've also checked Priuschat fequently whenever I had a technical question - (especially before youtube had as many "how-to" videos...)
    -- But never felt compelled to actually sign-on until I told my nephew I would help him look for a car. I've had several Gen 1's (honestly, one of the best cars ever made!) -- highly underrated!
    So somewhat serendipitously, while trying to research and clarify which "other" , "somewhat newer" Prii years might be good, I stumbled across your first-time post about selling... : )

I'm wondering approx. where the car is..? I'd actually like to see if it would be possible to look at it either later today (Fri) or Sat..? (although I need to check his schedule with school and work)

FYI, -- I'm sort-of halfway in-between Boulder and Denver

Please let me know, Thx!

4. Brian in Colorado

Brian in Colorado New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, just wanted to say thank you Susie10! Good car and a great transaction!
    -- Only, so sorry you won't have any reason to be on Priuschat anymore!

Thanks and take care!

--- Brian ---

5. Susie10

Susie10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. Susie10

Susie10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks to the helpful members of the Prius Chat forums for your advice. And thankful that my pri-pri made it into the hand of another Prius loving DIYer. She'll keep on living strong for awhile (y)

JohnPrius3005 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.