1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sold my Corolla

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by sunnysandiegan, Feb 6, 2006.

1. sunnysandiegan

sunnysandiegan New Member

I have not been in this forum before, but I think this is the right place to ask a non-Prius, non-hybrid question.

I sold my 1995 Toyota Corolla today. YIPPEEE!!! and Boo Hoo! LOL I am a little sad, but I am also thrilled I sold it to someone who really needs it and seems to appreciate it. Anyway, she paid me today with a cashier's check and I gave her the keys and fobs and paperwork. Since she drove a rental car to check out the Corolla, she opted to come back tomorrow with a friend to pick it up.

She said she would call me just as a courtesy when they came by.

I just realized that I failed to give her the title. I have it, but I don't even know what the procedures are. This is the first car I have sold (versus trading in at dealer).

I am in California. The car passed the SMOG test last July with no problems. The title is still in my maiden name since I purchased it prior to meeting my husband. In fact, it still has a lienholder on it, but I paid off the loan years ago and have a letter from the lienholder stating that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Karin

2. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I filled out the backside of the titile, transferring ownership. In your position, I would make a photocopy of the prior lien holder's letter (and maybe notarize it), and pass on the original letter to the new owner. Give them the smog check as well.

The new owner has to go to the motor vehicle Dept, and with title and smog check in hand, register the car in their name. They may also have tax to pay, depending on your local state rules.

Sellers who are extra careful would cash the casheir's check prior to signing off the title.

3. sunnysandiegan

Thank you, EricGo!

I am looking more closely at the title and the lienholder already signed off on it, so I guess I don't need to "worry" about the letter. It appears that all I need to do is sign off on the title releasing interest in the vehicle and then enter the odometer reading and sign again.

Can it really be this easy?

Who is responsible for paying for the new registration? The seller, right?

Oh, well, there is another portion of the title that I just saw...the Notice of Release of Liability. It asks for the seller's true full name and address. Do I use my maiden name (name on title) or married name (current name, but only on driver's license...not registration)?

Ugh...but now at the very bottom, it reads: This form is for registered owner transfers only. Do not submit for lienholder (legal owner) transfers.

Technically, I am doing both a legal owner transfer and a registered owner transfer.

If I can get my dad to watch my daughter, maybe the best thing to do is go with the buyer to the DMV to get this all taken care of??? She and I have a mutual friend and got along great today...

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Sorry, but you have to get another smog test. A 7-month-old one's no good.

I'd call DMV re: the signature question.

5. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

If you can that would make things go smooter.
    If you do this, don't mark any documents ahead of time.
    Let the nice DMV person direct you.
    It would be best to contact your DMV first to ensure you have all the documentation you need.
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/

6. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The buyer can waive the smog and do it themselves. There was another form that we signed at the Credit Union when I sold the truck but it might have been because they were financing the truck. Did you get cash? Check? I would be sure the check clears before turning over title.

DMV website is also very helpful.

7. sunnysandiegan

The DMV web site was not helping me, but then again my young daughter was demanding my attention at the time and I was trying to do too many things at once. ;)

I was with the buyer at her bank when she obtained the cashier's check. And we have a mutual friend. I am pretty sure it is legit. I will be going to my credit union first thing in the morning to deposit the check in person (not via ATM). I'll ask them to verify funds or whatever they call it these days to make sure it is legit.

The smog check and DMV paperwork is getting rather complicated. I'll just have to wait and see what the buyer wants to do and see if I can accommodate her. Maybe she'll be okay with getting the SMOG on her own and we'll pay for it? She has the keys to her new car (my old car) and my daughter's car seat is elsewhere right now, so I cannot even get the car smogged if I wanted to...

Oh well, everything will work out fine. :)

8. sunnysandiegan

Thanks!

After my child went to bed, I was able to read the DMV web site completely. I think I've got the "rules" now.

I still need to call the DMV about the name change issue, but I don't think I'll need to go with her to the DMV. I can mail my part, but need more information from her first. I have five days to complete the form and mail it. She needs the smog info first (my responsibility) before she can do the transfer of title and she is responsible for that part. She has 10 days to complete that.

I found a coupon for the place where I've always taken the car to be smog checked and hope we can get that done tomorrow and finalize everything. Coordinating childcare and keys and jobs and such will likely be far more difficult than the actual smog certification! LOL

9. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just sold the first of my two cars my new Prius replaced.

Although the buyer is supposed to get the smog, in my experience the buyer typically deals with it. I knocked off a little from the price to cover the cost.

You only need to sign the title, let the buyer take care of the DMV. The state says they have 10 days, but there is an extra 20 day grace period.

You fill out the Release of Liabiltiy and mail it in immediately. I would use your current name.

There is a place to fill out the sales price. The buyer pays sales tax on that amount, as long as it is a reasonable amount, you can give them a little break... ;>)

I read on the DMV Website the odo reading is just required if the car is 10 or less years old, but I entered it anyway for a 1993 car.

fd

10. sunnysandiegan

Would it be reasonable, then, to give her $25 for the smog check since that is what I have a coupon for (includes smog check, smog certificate, and transfer fee)?

I was thinking I should use my previous name and current address since that matches the current registration on the vehicle. The title has a really old address on it.

11. frankie_delaware

frankie_delaware Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure on the name question. You can call the DMV at 800-777-0133, and cut to the chase by dialing "0" for an agent. I was amazed how fast they answer when I was checking if my VIN had been entered.

fd

12. sunnysandiegan

Everything worked out perfectly. :) The buyer accepted cash and the coupon I had for her to do the SMOG herself and we both did all our paperwork for the DMV. We're both happy!!! :D

Thanks for the advice!