1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sold my Prius; the Prius experience through my eyes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by seasidetraveler, Mar 10, 2010.

1. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep seeing the Prius getting bad press and I wanted to share my experience with the car; just in case anyone cares lol. I traded in my 2006 Prius a couple of months ago and I fortunately did so a few days before all this bad Toyota press began. I first had a 2005 model for 40k miles, then upgraded to a 2006 with more features. I kept the '06 for over 3 years and 70k+ miles of "hard" driving (including being rear-ended by a semi); I am not easy on my cars. I loved my Prius' and am tired of hearing constant media attempts to cheapen the value of the car.

Why did I trade it in for a non-Prius? A few reasons. First off, I am only 28 years old and am on my 24th car- safe to say I don't keep a car for usually more than 1.5 years. 2nd, I wanted to sell the car while I still had a semi-decent re-sale value and before I had even more miles. 3rd, I had a high (high for me) interest rate at 7.025% and a higher car payment than I was comfortable with. Lastly, while I still owned the Prius, I had leased a Mini Cooper S and fell in love with its performance. When I made a move out of SoCal and away from any Mini service center, I sold the Mini and as time went by, missed having a FUN car to drive around. The Prius was great at all around versatility, but wasn't FUN.

The Prius was roomy, had decent acceleration, and spoiled me with an avg MPG of 47 (sometimes higher when I didn't drive like crazy). An interesting tidbit I found about driving the car was that I was always defending the car; people heard negative rumors about the car (before all this recall drama) and I was always sticking up for the car. Also, I often heard people that had owned a Prius and were constantly told by their Toyota dealer that the Prius required expensive maintenance and they would spend $100's at each service appointment. That is a shame; that a dealer could ruin someones experience of the Prius and make it seem high maintenance when in reality it is CHEAPER to maintain than a "regular" car. All I ever did was change the oil and filter, air filters, and tire rotations. I never spent more than $30 for an oil change, changed the air filters myself, and America's Tire rotated for free. I know this isn't a Prius only problem, or Toyota only; I wish Manufacturers would closely monitor the practices of their dealers- I believe the average consumer has an impression of a car or manufacturer based on a dealership experience and little to do with the actual brand. I have had a variety of car brands and I overlooked many issues with cars if I was treated fairly by the dealer; on the flip side, any minor issue that occured and was met with a rude service department or dealer, weighed negatively in my mind and wouldn't make me want to recommend that car. I believe the "average" consumer just wants transportation- they don't really care about one company vs another; but when they get treated badly by a dealer or know someone that has been, they think of the brand as bad. Often times people talk negatively about a car because it was unreliable; what they don't mention is they bought it from "Bob's Used Tin Cans" and it had 150k miles on it.

Now I have a non-Prius car that is FUN to drive, is somewhat practical in size, and only gets around 25 MPG on a good day. Plus, the car is a 2007, was certified, and I got 3.9% financing! I didn't ask before buying the car how much the scheduled maintenance was- now I find out the basic oil change is $80, and tires are around $170 EACH. Also, the car requires premium fuel. Do I miss my Prius? Yes and No. I don't miss the high payment or the "boring" drive, but I do miss the every day ease of the car and cheap maintenance. I think I probably would have opted for a 2010 Prius if I could have gotten the package I wanted. I wanted Bluetooth, Back up camera, and solar sun roof; you can only get the back up camera by spending $1000k's on a NAV package- not bad if you want the NAV, but I can't STAND the factory NAV.

So there you have it; my $.02 on my Prius experience. Would I buy another Prius down the road or recommend it? Absolutely!

7 people like this.
  2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Reason #3 is the killer, isn't it? :)

I make it a point to correct FUD about the car as well, I'm just not a cheerleader. I totally agree with you on the dealership experience.

I'm assuming you got an STi or an Evo (or something with a turbo)? You can save on oil changes by buying Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart for $26 and bringing it to the dealer, ends up being about $thirty-something (I bring my own Mobil 1 to the dealer for my Prius too!). ADVAN A046 tires for an Evo IX are $300 a piece at Tire Rack, and some of us gladly pay. :) Wait till you need a brake pad change.

3. Marla Gee

Marla Gee New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for this very balanced assessment. As a prospective Prius owner, I found this very helpful. It made me laugh too because I've driven an Eclipse for the past 11 years and when I told my 34 year old son I was thinking about a Prius, he told me (tongue in cheek) "You won't be cool any more, Mom! :) My 32 year old, however, said, "You go mom!" Petrol prices are not getting any cheaper - I'll opt for the savings. I'll still be cool no matter what I drive :) As I write this, I can hear in the background the first hand account of the Prius driver in California with the unintended acceleration issue. Yikes!

4. Marla Gee

Marla Gee New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By the way, how did you like the Mini?? Any feedback you can offer?

5. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    a_gray_prius- I bought a VW GTI :) so far it has been tons of fun. Good advice to bring oil to them; I will have to try that.

Marla- The Prius really was a good car all around. Mine was black with tinted windows- I at least "felt" cool lol. The Mini? Best car EVER! I love to drive and it is a drivers car! I didn't realize when I moved that the local BMW dealer wasn't approved to service it- the nearest Mini dealer was 200+ miles away; not convenient. If they ever open a Mini dealer closer to where I live, I will buy again.

6. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

Ha! I sold my 2002 MCS shortly before I got my '05 Prius. The MINI was the worst car I ever loved, but to be fair, my Mini Cooper S was built the very first week of US production. Suffice it to say, they didn't quite have it down yet.

Enjoy your MINI. I'm sure things have improved since I had mine. It was a blast to drive but not so fun to own...

7. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Notice that the OP is paying a lot for his fun: thousands of $ the moment he drives each new car off the lot, and thousands more in interest. He'd spend a lot less if he kept the current car long enough to save up the entire purchase price (that is, pay cash) for the next new one.

8. blippo

blippo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I was 28 I had an inexpensive economy car just for the sole purpose of going to work and doing errands. But luckily at the time I was able to afford a sports car also. At 28, I wanted that performance, speed, fun, vehicle. So I can see where you're coming from.

9. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hatfield- I sold the Mini a while ago; the GTI is what I have now.

Richard- Not all of the vehicles I have owned have been new (most were used). If you are going to add up the interest and taxes paid you must include an amount for maintenance and repairs I would have incurred by keeping a car for a long period of time. I generally drive 35k+ miles per year. Transmissions, engines etc get expensive. Take my current 2006 Escape; I have 82,000 miles currently and a 100k mile warranty- I don't plan on keeping it beyond the warranty.

10. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    great story te read
    you got a VW... well ok.. not all good BUT..lucky you did not get a VW TDI.. pfff you got a petrol GTI YHEAAA

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i couldn't keep a car at your age either. enjoy it as long as it lasts!

12. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, you must be on a first-name basis with the folks down
    at the DMV.
    _H*

13. fgoodyear

fgoodyear New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What do you mean "wait till you need a brake pad change" If you are any kind of mechanically inclined, brake pads are a snap. It almost takes longer to jack it up and take the wheels off than it does to change the pads. It may be a good example of how the dealers try to rip you off though. The other thing is how much the dealers charge for changing a headlight bulb. IE..... taking the bumper off and such. I did it in 45 minutes without taking a bumper off, no problem... I am betting the dealers don't actually do it that way either, just charge the allotted labor charge.:cool:

14. ajc

ajc Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Fun car but VW reliability is at the bottom of the list.

15. eestlane

eestlane Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What list? Consumer Reports doesn't agree with you.

16. carz89

carz89 I study nuclear science...

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I concur.

and don't forget the state & local sales tax every time.

Just my opinion: either the OP is independently wealthy and doesn't mind supporting the tax system, the banks and the local dealerships, or the OP needs a crash course in personal financial management.

Gosh -- assuming the OP started buying cars at age 16 at the earliest, then 24 cars were bought over 12 years, or once every 6 months. That's just ridiculous! Just a ballpark SWAG here -- 24 cars times roughly $4000 in lost value, fees, taxes and interest every 6 months. That's throwing away almost $100,000 in 12 years.

OP - are you there? Think about that for a moment! $100,000. Geez, for half that money I bet you could find ONE incredible car that you would be happy with for a decade!

(ok - enough of me sounding like your mom or dad!)

17. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Because brake pads (assuming he had a STi or an Evo, not knowing that he purchased a GTI) are like $250 just for the front pad set (Ferodo DS2500 Front Brakes 2008 + Mitsubishi Evolution EVO X - Modern Automotive Performance). I'm assuming he wants good pads though. Evo brake pads are $500+ every 12k miles (but then I track the car once in a while). That's not counting the $300 a piece ADVAN A048 tires which last about as long.

I'm not exactly like other posters here and I understand that you have to pay to play. If cars are your hobby you can spend it however you want - although you have been though a lot of cars. I would have halved that number and hooked up a lightly used M6 (they were going for $46k with 8k miles and a year old when gas prices spiked).

18. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Great conversation- love it!

First off addressing VW reliability- I know, this is one of my concerns- I have never known of a VW to be reliable or cheap to fix. BUT, this vehicle is certified, so I have a bumper-bumper warranty for another 50k miles. I plan to sell it prior to paying for repairs. Luckily, the GTI is built in Germany, NOT Mexico like most VW's, so reliability is slightly better.

Second, my finances lol. Yes, I bought my first car at age 16 for $800. Until then I had riden the school bus to where I worked and then got a ride home. I worked full time throughout high school and bought all of my vehicles. MOST of the 24 vehicles were not new, so you can't say I lost $4,000 on each car, or that I paid tremendous taxes. Some of the glamorous vehicles I will list here: 1988 Toyota Corolla, 1984 Mercury Lynx diesel, 1991 Nissan pickup, 1995 Nissan pickup, 1973 VW Beetle etc. Many of the vehicles I paid cash for. I have bought and sold 3 homes, and currently own 2 homes; one rental. My property investments have done well for me so I am able to have travel and car money. I love cars- even cheap little odd cars can be fun and serve a purpose. Keep in mind I usually own TWO cars at one time; a car and a truck. One to go on long trips and be efficient, the other to go camping, 4wheeling etc. Just for fun, I will list out the vehicles I have owned so you can see how extravagant I live hahaha:

1984 Mercury Lynx diesel, 1991 Nissan pickup, 1998 Chevy S-10 (LEMON), 1995 Nissan pickup, 2000 Ford Focus, 1973 Beetle (restored and then sold), 2001 Ford Ranger, 2001 Ford Focus, 2001 Ford Escape, 1988 Toyota Corolla, 2003 Hyundai Elantra GT, 1999 Nissan Frontier, 2002 Hyundai Accent, 2005 Ford Escape, 2005 Prius, 1984 Toyota pickup, 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac, 2002 Ford Ranger, 2006 Prius, 2009 Toyota Yaris, 1999 Toyota Rav4, 2009 Mini Cooper S, 2006 Ford Escape, 2007 VW GTI.

A select few of these cars I bought because they were a HOT deal; drove them short term and sold for more than I bought them for.

19. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree in concept, but I think your SWAG might be off. He did say he bought mostly used cars. Assuming he bought privately he might lose only 10% in resale value by the time he sold it. If he buys used from dealers & trades-in his old one, that's going to be at least a 30% hit (used my vehicle at kbb.com as an example). Buying new from dealers and trading in is probably a 50% hit (even with not owning it very long). So average of 30% hit, 24 vehicles, lets say average value $12,000, hmm, that's $86K. Plus all that interest for the payments, I guess you are right.

My wife and I haven't made a car payment in 3 years, only oil changes, one set of tires, couple light bulbs and brakes (she has an Accord, obviously the Prius doesn't need brakes yet). That's well under $1K/year for both of us. Don't see a reason to change that yet. Eventually we'll have to incur the resale price depreciation, but that loss slows down over time.

But I appreciate seasidetravelor's experience, and taking the time to explain it. Thanks!

20. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess maybe we're just jealous :)

I've had 8 vehicles so far (9 if you count the non-running '54 GMC pickup that was given to me). Two actually belonged to my parents, but I drove them during college, so only 6 of my own, over 19 years.
    '65 VW bug ($300), '87 Sentra E ($2000?), '68 VW fastback ($700, hobby car), '91 Sentra SE-R ($6000?, most fun car of the lot), '99 Subaru Outback ($22K, first new car), '06 Prius ($22K).