1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Sold My Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jburns, May 15, 2007.

1. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a heart attack on Feb 1 due to an act of violence in my school and two full cardiac arrests on Feb 2. Still not back to work and I'm going back into the hospital on June 11 to get a defibrillator implanted in my chest. After I got out of the hospital and had some time to think about things I decided that slow and frugal was not the way I wanted to go out.

Traded my 06 Prius for a new Mazda RX-8 with a 6 speed manual trans. Since it's a rotary engine it red lines at 9000 RPM. I had a small rotary wagon back in the 70's and loved it. Anyway, averaging 19.76 MPG over the first 10 tanks driving it hard and loving every second. There are some great back roads around here to run with a sports car and I plan on driving every one of them. I do miss the Prius when I pull up to the gas pump but you can't have everything. When I look at the whole picture spending a bit more for gas just doesn't matter like it used to.

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    oh man, i'm sorry to hear that. i hope the surgery goes well for you.

i had a real wake-up experience myself last fall, and was reminded that you need to do the things you enjoy while you have the chance. be happy and enjoy life.

3. Loveit

Loveit New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ May 15 2007, 07:41 PM) [snapback]442880[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. Are you feeling negative about having the heart surgery?

I hope not. Medical science can do wonders for people. I truly hope that you are on the road to recovery not only health wise but emotionally too.

That must have been a real bummer that act of violence at school. Take care, and don't get yourself killed driving a sports car!!!!!

4. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would like to say how terrible that is or that I'm sorry to hear this but you know what? You have time, time to go out and do all the stuff you've wanted to do. You have no real excuses. Get out there and enjoy life!!!

Like Mr. McGraw says... Live Like You Were Dying :D

5. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(loveit @ May 15 2007, 09:10 PM) [snapback]442899[/snapback]</div>
    I've been pushing for the surgery since my first appointment after leaving the hospital. I did a good bit of research on my condition which is a heart ejection fraction of only 25 as opposed to at least 55 to be considered normal. I am at a high risk of sudden cardiac death due to arrhythmia, specifically v-fib. The implant will jump start me if i need it.

Surgery is a no brainer as far as I am concerned and thankfully the doctors agree. Workman's Compensation is picking up the entire tab including the $53,000 initial hospital stay. I'm upbeat about things and plan to go back to work late in the summer.

There are worse ways to go than driving hard through a corner. :) Thanks for the good wishes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ May 15 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]442897[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, it's amazing how events can change your outlook on almost anything.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ May 15 2007, 10:44 PM) [snapback]442963[/snapback]</div>
    I plan on enjoying myself, within limits. :eek: Thanks.

6. Screaming Red

Screaming Red Two Pri Wannabe

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ May 15 2007, 10:56 PM) [snapback]442970[/snapback]</div>
    JBurns I am so sorry to hear about your health scare. Please get better and be happy. I wish you a long happy life filled with joy.

I also wish you friends and loved ones who will want to learn how to use an automatic electronic defibrillator - an AED. 2 years ago I used one on a man with an implanted defibrillator who had gone into arrest when the implant stopped working after 6 tries. He is walking around today and has a new inplanted defib which works better than the one he had. It's wonderfully empowering tobe able to use an AED, and you don't know when you may need to help someone.

All best, and PM if you want to know more.

Edit: Automatic External Defibrillator - sorry, brain freeze. I can use it better than I said it; we have a refresher every 6 months.

7. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I wish you well on your speedy recovery from your surgery.

Have fun with your new wheels!

8. barbaram

barbaram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    so sorry to hear about your health problems.... we take good health for granted so much! best of luck on your recovery.

Sorry to that you did not find your Prius a blast to drive... I love flying past folks after a stop and then kicking into glide mode!!!!!

9. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ May 15 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]442880[/snapback]</div>
    Yes you are (re subject).

First I wish you full recovery :) and I’m sorry that our society has degraded tso much, what with school violence etc.

You were lucky and the heart attack did not get you; lets hope that your luck holds between now and June so you don’t get someone else while redlining the Mazda.

10. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry to hear about your heart problem. I can't imagine having two cardiac arrests back-to-back.

On the other hand, why do you equate driving/owning a Prius with living slowly and frugally? I'm not making a judgement, as you have the freedom to drive whatever you choose, I'm just curious.

11. AtomicDog

AtomicDog New Member

A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Good luck with your Mazda, and I hope your Prius went to a good home!

Hey..maybe a similar story is how I got my adopted (second-hand) Prius! :D

12. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jburns @ May 15 2007, 05:41 PM) [snapback]442880[/snapback]</div>
    Best of luck. In spite of your new "high risk" :lol: attitude, live long and prosper.

Dave M.

13. jburns

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ May 16 2007, 08:50 AM) [snapback]443220[/snapback]</div>
    Well everything is relative I guess. Compared to what I'm driving now the Prius was both slow and frugal. Not bad traits so don't get me wrong here. In fact those traits were what led me to buy the Prius in the first place and I enjoyed driving and owning it. The Prius is still just a good as it ever was. I'm the one who seems to have changed my viewpoint.

14. Lcruiser

Lcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Wish you well....

Interesting point ... Not too many thread like this on this forum....

I know what you mean... Right now, I am torn between Lexus GS 400 or Prius. I know they are totally two different animals. If Prius were 20K, I will be all over. The package that I wanted is close to $30K with out the door and interest. :( Yes, I want to save this planet too. :)

15. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    hmmm, guess we're gonna have to re-think the "environmentalist" words we were gonna use on your headstone

If, after successful surgery and looking forward to living another 30 years, you DO regret letting go of the Prius, simply buy another one, then RENT a Mazda screamer (or a Viper or whatever) for a week here and there to give head to your rather expensive passions... B)