1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Soldering Iron recommendations for board repair? Beginner fixing intermittent MFD problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ifso215, Nov 2, 2023.

1. ifso215

ifso215 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    See title. My 2008's MFD is going out more and more often, so I want to attempt the board repair in the pinned thread. This is the first car I've worked on myself, but I've successfully replaced the infamous bad ABS actuator and my front brakes.

Could anyone recommend a soldering iron/station that's up to doing this type of repair and would be good for a beginner?

I'd like to keep it under $80, but I'm unsure what type of station I need (someone mentioned needing hot air on the thread?) I'll be attempting some small electronics projects and vintage audio repair as well if that changes things.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I don't know all the brands of the soldering stations and I'm sure by now they've gotten cheaper and less well made and all of that lot of the stuff is throw away now I would think a desoldering tool would be in the mix for sure so on and so forth I don't sold her personally I have people who do that

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A link to the thread you mean might help, for those following along at home. There only seem to be three pinned threads in this forum and I couldn't see that any of them was for sure the one you mean.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Anything you want to try, you'll need a decent soldering station. I suggest the KSGER T12. It's a decent station based on Hakko's T12 and T15 soldering iron cartridges (they combine the tip, heater, and temperature sensor in one easily replaceable unit).

You can get T12 tip units (the cheap ones are chinese clones) for decent price. I like the T12-K and the T12-BC2. You can get a 10 piece assortment for $25.

Amazon has this and other sites as well. Also get decent paste flux (I use Amtech NC-559 that comes in a syringe).

Start off by practicing on junk devices before attempting the MFD repair.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.