1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solely a do-it-yourself kinda thing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Rumply, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Rumply

Rumply New Member

Mods like the backup camera really sound usefull... but my level of technical expertise and ability is on par with "is it plugged in".
    Could any repair shop add these mods? Is it best to stick with a dealer and pay out the orifice for the work? Or is this simply best as a do-it-yourself thing?

2. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The resent thread I just went over looks like something that should be tackled by someone who likes to dig into electronics and understands maybe the basics. Even a tech at a dealer might not be to sure about installing something that might need modified. I am interested in that after looking at it and will be checking into it more for my own knowledge. As for any other type of accessory,most have good instructions that some one with basic skills could take on. But one would have to be careful and follow all directions so as not to short out some high priced part! So if you are unsure of your ability,I would suggest finding a mechanically inclinded friend to help or check for a business that may help out.For me,I am interested in things like that and have been reading up on building my next PC. I have purchased a new motherboard and have in mind the other components needed. Hope this helps you decide what to do. :)

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rumply\";p=\"72993)</div>
    If you're talking about the back-up camera solution that is being offered by coastaletech then that will be a relatively simple installation. Dave is very good at providing easy to follow instructions for even the most electronically confused. If you're really still too paranoid then any reasonablely worth while auto electronics shop should be able to help you out.

If you're talking about something like Frenchie did on his own, then you're going to have your hands full and even a decent auto electronics shop won't be of much, if any, help.

4. Rumply

Rumply New Member

Yeah...actually the costaletech camera is what I was looking at specifically.. I just didn't know how much the car lent itself to modifications.

Good luck with the build Rick. The good thing about building a computer is really it's difficult to screw anything up these days... it is all just screwing stuff down and plugging stuff in.. and since all the plugs are one way only, you can't really mess that up either. The software on the other hand... that can be a square peg into a round hole. Bring a big hammer.

Anyone in the Raleigh/ Durham area of NC knows of a good shop just in case I get in over my head?

Thanks guys.. preciate the help.

P minus 72 hours and counting....

5. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Be careful with the processor, you CAN mess that up. Some sockets do allow the processor to be mis-oriented. Also inadequate heat sink or misaligned mount can cause issues.

We had a PC building seminar for the sales team, and 2 PCs wouldn't even post. Everything looked fine. Even the processor looked like it was inserted correctly. We re-inserted the processor anyway, and they worked.

6. Rumply

Rumply New Member

<grin> OH the temptation to go off topic here... I'll summarize quickly... wear a static strap, follow the motherboard install guide, and look for DIY build classes at local computer stores on the weekends if you want some expert guidance. And if you can find a motherboard/chip combo preinstalled for you (good heat sink, thermal paste, etc), that does take the hardest part out of the equation.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Or invite me over. How long does it take to go from Tampa to Circleville and back?

8. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"73553)</div>
    Yes we are getting off topic. And Dan,I don't know how long it would take,but I need to get a few other parts first. If only I had some spare $$$$$ :lol: