1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solo drivers in CA HOV lanes during non peak hours

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by LA FREEWAY, Dec 13, 2005.

1. LA FREEWAY

LA FREEWAY New Member

Orange County Supervisor in Southern California supports a plan to have CA HOV Lanes open for non-hybrid solo drivers during non-peak hours.

What do you think?

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I thought Diamond Lanes were open to anybody during other hours than what is on Diamond Lane signs. At least in my part of California. No type of vehicle is allowed priveleged status 24 hours a day.

3. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

4. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Deleted duplicate post

5. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Bay area already does this, but I believe some of their HOV lanes also require 3+ occupants (unless it's a 2 seater car) during the restricted periods.

AZ does this as well, and I find it quite nice that my commute on I-10 through downtown Phoenix is after 9am and 7pm ;-)

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hmmm.. must be nice to have enough off peak to be able to do that. around here, it never slows down during the day. here i would be upset to see it relaxed anytime before 7 pm... oh...that is the time for most car pool lanes... 5 am to 7 pm

7. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If they open the car pool lanes at 8am, the traffic will flow smoothly. If they extend the car pool lane restrictions to 9am instead, the traffic will be clogged until 9am, and then clear up.

The dirty little secret is that car pool lanes are not the solution; they are part of the problem, contributing to more traffic congestion, more gasoline use, and more emissions. The northern part of the state has known it for a long time, as this issue shows.

8. davedog

davedog Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i prefer 24 hours a day, 7 days a week...

here in bay area, there are traffic times outside of those designated for carpool users.

these stickers were certainly made for southern california, where they have 24/7 hov-restricted access.

9. Stairman

Stairman New Member

We actually have some here in southern Cal that are "time sensitive." The lane on the 14 from Santa Clarita to Palmdale is only restricted early morning Westbound and afternoon Eastbound. For the denser parts of the basin, 24/7 makes sense. There is no part of the 405 that is not heavy going any time of the day. Likewise the 91, 22, and much of the 5 in LA and Orange counties. The only thing wrong with the HOV lanes is that there aren't enough of them.