1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOLUTION: Entune Reboot Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bbald123, Oct 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This worked for me. YMMV.

BLUF: Reboot your phone

Long version:

I am using Entune 1.19.502.219 on Android 7.0 on a Google Nexus 6P.

For the first time yesterday, I suffered the Entune constant reboot problem. I was using Nav and bluetooth audio at the time. I had a long trip ahead of me and was....concerned. I tried some of the things that I remembered reading: turning the car off and on etcetera. Nothing helped. So I decided to be more methodical.

I tried only using Nav. No luck still rebooting.
    I tried only using bluetooth. Same.

Then I remembered that I had intended to reboot my phone because it was acting sluggishly. Voila! Reboot problem solved. I used the Entune head unit for Nav and bluetooth for about 6 hours total and the problem did not return.

On reflection, this makes sense. The Entune app on your phone is constantly feeding data to the head unit. Apps are notorious for behaving badly. Assume some kind of memory corruption, bad garbage collection and the like, and you could easily be feeding bad data to the head unit. Back in the day, feeding an operation system bad data from a trusted source was a very common way to force a reboot of the operating system in preparation for some other mischief.

I haven't had the opportunity, yet, to repeat the experiment. But, I feel pretty good about the hypothesis and the first test results.

RCO likes this.
  2. nategold

nategold Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wouldn't touch Entune with a 10 foot pole. I deleted it. The unit still reboots sometimes.

RCO likes this.
  3. bbald123

bbald123 Thermodynamics Law Enforcement

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I use it routinely and like it. As I said, YMMV.

RCO likes this.