1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Solutions to Locking with Winter Gloves

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Tideland Prius, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those with the Gen 3 will know that it's harder to lock the car with the touch sensor SKS in the winter with thick gloves on. Unlike the Gen 2 which had a physical button that you could push in, the Gen 3 requires conductive properties of your flesh.

One solution is to get those gloves such as the Smart Touch Gloves

[​IMG]

I got a pair for Christmas and they work well (and they work for smartphones too) but the problem is that they're only light winter gloves, good for about -10°C/14°F tops (probably best as driving gloves).

What if you're wearing ski gloves and you don't want to remove your gloves to lock the car and expose your skin to the cold? Well you could just press the lock button on the door but what if you want to use SKS?

You could try to pinch the door handle (there's a sensor on the bottom part of the handle too) but if the pinch method doesn't work, try this:

After closing all the doors, place your palm against the door handle near the lock sensor. That should give you a better chance of locking the car.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Or, you could just pull your glove off for 3 sec and put it back on.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A solution that works better in Arkansas than in my neck of the woods.

Tom

1 person likes this.
  4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Note to people from and who live in the Southern USA: do not attempt to tell Canadians on how to deal with cold weather. Unless they're from Vancouver because they don't get really cold weather.

Honestly, though, I'd say just press the lock button on the fob. The design makes it easy to use blind.

I use thin gloves for driving in the cold (I try to use minimal heat), and that means I can use the sensor.

1 person likes this.
  5. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Nice gloves, but why would one want to lock the car after exiting into the cold? Brrr!Those extra 2 seconds fiddling with the sensors spawns life and death scenarios!

6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a Gen 2 and I always press the button on the armrest to lock the car, which has to be warmer. Does the Gen 3 not have that button?

7. rsgillmd

rsgillmd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This.

Keep it simple.

8. Gary Otto

Gary Otto Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All the Canadians I know spend their winters down here!

9. kornkob

kornkob New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The fob button is one answer.

Question: if you hit the lock button on the inside of the door and shut the door, does the car stay locked? (some cars 'unlock' it when you close a door-- my old mazda didn't)

10. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just lock the car at the door and then put on my gloves. Is that too simple?

I don't wear gloves inside the car. Why? It's warm inside.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not too simple if your weather isn't too severe. LI gets snow and cold weather, but not like that where the OP lives.

We get weather so cold that I have snapped a T-bar tire iron with my (gloved) hands, just trying to take a lug nut off of a flat tire. I wasn't jumping on the iron or beating on it, just pulling. Steel gets brittle in that sort of cold. So do fingers.

Tom

12. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Be honest Prius people.

I just read the Prius c owners manual. It has a section about using the "smart key" and a section about using the more typical Alarm and standard Key.

I know "you guys" like the gimmickery, and the convience of just being able to walk up to your vehicle and open the doors...and just being able to sit down and press start...

But when I start reading about all the things that "can" or might go wrong with the "smart key" system? Gloves during the winter, staying in range, staying out of range, battery depletion, radio inteference...coupled with numerous posts I've read about "god forbid" the cost and hassle of replacement?

I always revert back to.....I kinda like the standard push a button to unlock my doors...and turn a key to start my vehicle. (psst...it's really not that hard).

But I know, I know...you guys love it. But answer me this. If you could have a standard remote...push button lock and unlock...and a push button start? Wouldn't that be a lot more convienent?

It seems to me a lot of the peripheral problems that might or can develop out of the SKS...outweigh the convience of the system.

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not for me. I love the SKS on my Gen II, and I *never* use the fob buttons.

Tom

14. dmvp

dmvp Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I lock the doors with the door lock by the handle, WITH my gloves on! :) I don't use the fob because it's buried in my purse where it should be! The only time I take it out is when I have to give it to the service guys for an oil change.

15. J5A

J5A Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The car will beep at you and unlock its doors if you leave the fob inside; it's brilliant. My fob never sees the light of day.

Electric Me, if you ever get around to buying a vehicle with push button start and SKS you'll see what we mean how archaic a vehicle without those convenience features feels.

1 person likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe....

But pushing a button and turning a key never has felt like a big expenditure of either mental energy or physical sacrifice.

And over the years I've read so many threads where the SKS is so convienent....up to the split second the batteries go dead, you park near radio inteference, you wash the fob, or the battery goes dead...

Technology seldom moves backwards. Push Button starts and SKS like systems are simply now...and the future.

However? Let me tell you about how I have a fully functional back up "system" that not only unlocks my vehicle BUT also operates the ignition. Total Cost" $2.50 at the local Hardware Shop Key Center.

Even if I learn to love SKS? At somepoint? I'm going to miss the good old days...

17. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have to say, part of me really does agree with TEM on this. For one, I only have the 1 door SKS and anytime someone else is riding with me, I have to either press the FOB button or the door handle button. It's a nice feature, but it's not something that I consider a requirement for a vehicle. It's especially obnoxious, when I press the handle and it doesn't register because I move like a ninja and it doesn't register it. Then I have to take 3 more steps back to the car to re-press the handle. Then there are times, my ninja skills kick in when getting into the car, and I have to extert the energy to pull the handle a 2nd time because I was too fast the first time.

Then I've gotta get my keys out anyway to get in the door to the house - well, OK, so I personally don't because I have a keypad lock but I will if/when that 9V battery dies and I'm outside!

18. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I bet temporarily being unable to remember where you put the key is more common than that, but people don't tend to start threads on misplacing their keys.

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Trust me? I've been down this road before. I know, most of you guys LOVE THE SKS!

And, I've never owned SKS...so okay...more power to ya...

Hopefully? Soon I will own SKS..then I can start my Prius Pod Person Chant..."I-love-the-Smart-Key-System (Blank Emotionless Stare)-I-Don't-Understand-How-Anyone-Ever-Drove-Or-Operated-A-Vehicle-Before-This-Won-Der-Ful-Advancement...

Only promise me, if it get's too bad....you'll just shoot me in the head...

20. bullittman68

bullittman68 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if you only have the one-door SKS, can't you just change the setting where it will unlock all doors when pulling your handle?