1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

SOLVED: Car goes into ready but won't crank engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by voltech444, Jun 6, 2019.

1. voltech444

voltech444 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    priusinvertertrans.png I just had a 2004 come in that needed a transmission. I picked one up from a local junkyard. While they were removing the trans they had unplugged the connectors on the trans for MG1, and plugged them back in incorrectly. On MG2 it's more difficult to mess that up (the cover can only go one way, whereas on MG1 it can go either way) what it made the car do was rather interesting. It would start and go into ready mode, it could drive in EV mode (not very smoothly) but it would never crank the engine, but you could hear the whine from the inverter as it was putting power to MG1 but the phases were incorrect so it couldn't spin. No codes, no lights, nothing! The car couldn't even recognize that there was a major problem, from its end all the data looked ok. I found a few other people that had this issue, most of them replaced the trans (for the 2nd time) which fixed the problem, but only because the wires were installed correctly. So if you're getting a junkyard trans, check to see if they had opened the cover for MG1 (which is not even necessary to remove the trans but oh well) if they did or if you have to swap your cable over because the old one is damaged, mark them clearly