1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some 2010 "lighting" details

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HTMLSpinnr, Apr 30, 2009.

1. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Some details on the 2010 Lighting, specific for LED headlights.

Each LED element is 10.1W. Each headlight assembly has 3 LED's per, 2 projector type, and one parabolic cylinder type. As with the HID headlights for the previous model, the LED headlights are self leveling based on rear suspension height.

LED Beam pattern for US spec LHD shown below:

[​IMG]

The tail lamp assembly consists of 12 LED bulbs that consume a mere 0.6W during tail light mode and 5.4W during brake light mode. The center mount stop light has 4 LED elements that consume 0.4W.

Sadly, the remainder of the exterior lighting continues to be standard incandescent bulbs at 5W or 21W. Headlights on non LED version are 55W low beam (projector type). All versions have a 60W reflector type high beam. Fog light equipped vehicles are equipped w/ 55W bulbs.

Moving to the interior, we find a mix of LED and incandescent bulbs. Incandescent lighting is used for map lights (5W), room lights (8W front, 5W rear), door courtesy lights (5W), and vanity lights (8w). LED's are used for for interior footwell illumination (0.24W), glove box (0.24W), shift lever illumination (overhead, .24W), and power switch backlighting (.12W).

I suspect the interior list isn't inclusive of radio or navigation components. It's not clear whether the steering buttons are backlight in addition to touch tracer.

As with the previous models, SKS plays a role in initial illumination as the driver approaches the vehicle. Once the car recognizes the FOB nearby, interior lighting will illuminate to "welcome" the driver to the vehicle. Lighting also fades up once the car is powered off prior to exiting the vehicle. This lighting will stay on for 15 seconds after entry, or until the vehicle is powered on or doors are locked. When the lighting turns off, it does so with a 1 second fade-out. If a door is left open, the lights will turn off after 20 minutes to help preserve the 12V battery.

Attached Files:

14 people like this.
  2. scottwyden

scottwyden new jersey photographer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you think that the LED headlights will be a simple 'swap' mod and not a rewiring?

a pop out pop in type of thing?

I just love the look of the LED lights but really want the moon roof/solar package

3. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't think this is going to be one those easy swap out things... For one, you've got the auto leveling sensors with the LED's and the halogens don't have them... Search a bit, I am pretty sure this has been discussed a little bit before.

4. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was happy to see all this info yesterday Rick, so i toow ent ahead and got an account on the TIS site. I got all the numbers for the bulbs for the rear license plates, front parking lights etc and have already began looking around for various LED replacements. The rear license plate is definitely somethig that is going to get done.

Should be fun seeing these LED headlights at night finally!

5. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Didn't think about the auto leveling thing. Good point.

I guess when the parts eventually become public we'll see just how difficult/expensive it would be.

I'm also hoping an aftermarket product comes available as an easy swap.

LED's are beautiful

6. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Scott, after looking @ the EWD's, I don't think so. There's additional wiring for the headlight ECU for LED's that is likely missing on std versions and several tie-ins with other ECUs. There's a height sensor on the rear axle which has additional wiring not present on the lower models. I'd also suspect we'd need access to the latest scan tool to set options to include the differences if we did manage to get all wiring present.

It "might" be possible to set them at a fixed height, however I'd assert that it'd be inconsiderate if they were mis-adjusted given the glare potential.

7. scottwyden

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Makes sense. Well, hopefully someone comes out with an easy swap that has LEDs in the headlights. That would make me a happy camper

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well LEDs will have less glare than HIDs given that they're directional in nature. Heck you can't tell they're on unless you squat to bumper level (and at the same time get blinded by the light)

9. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Projector lenses and parabolic mirrors can do alot to "correct" the directional nature ;-)

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct but that means they can better focus the light and not have stray lighting point upwards (like halogen lights... we don't complain too much because of their softer yellow lighting)

11. sluday

sluday New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Are led taillights standard?

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes

13. krouebi

krouebi 2012 Peugeot 3008 HYbrid4

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

First of all, a HUGE thanks to HTMLSpinnr for this very valuable information.

If I've read (and understood :rolleyes:) the above correctly, each headlamp unit uses three LED's @ 10.1 W to produce (excellent) low beams, i.e. 10.1 W x 3 x 2 = 60.6 W. I suppose that when you use the (conventional) high beams, you'll just add 60 W per side to get to a total of 180.6 W.

I do not want to be a spoilsport, but I am at a loss to see the vast improvement over the Prius II, which had (at least in the US and for experiment-friendly Europeans like me) a hi+lo-beam HID option.
    HID's are rated at 35 W, which means a low beam consumption of 70W - and as the HID lights on the Prius 2 used the same bulbs for high and low beams the high beam consumption remained at a very reasonable 70 W - quite a lot less than the 180.6 W used by the new one.

Has anyone got any info on what type of conventional bulb is used for the high beams in the Prius III? I've been using retrofit HID bulbs for early 2 years for the high beams on the RX400h which for near on half the power consumption offer vastly enhanced lighting, and as I do quite a lot of my long-distance driving in the very darkest hours, it's of some importance to me.

Also, when enabled, how is DRL implemented?? Using the "A" LED's or through something (preferably LED's) in the sector of the headlamp cluster just above the "A" LED's??

14. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The LED low beams use less power than the HIDs (60.6 vs. 70, or 13% less--although the Toyota docs say 17%). That's what you're using the lion's share of the time, so while the high beam configuration does seem to use more power, what % of the time are you using them (me--only when I flash-to-pass ;))?

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    DRLs use the high beam at reduced intensity and is only on Canadian-spec cars.

16. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :eek: :eek:

If what you write about the DRL's is true also for EU-spec cars, this is bad news.
    Firstly because the 60 W halogens - even dimmed - draw far more wattage than LED's.
    Secondly because they look ugly, IMHO, confronted to LED's.
    Thirdly because it would mean it would be very difficult to put in a set of aftermarket HID bulbs in the high beams to obtain a superior night vision - because unlike you, stream, I often drive very long distances in the night, on nearly deserted roads - so I do use my high beams.
    Before the low beam-only Xenon RX400h I have had two ML's with Bi-Xenon lights, and the first mod to the RX was putting in Xenon burners for the high beams. Our current Prius II also has aftermarket Bi-Xenons - so conventional high beams are not really acceptable.

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes but the LED headlights are near impossible to see in the day unless you look at them straight on. The other option is to go the route that Audi has chosen and use smaller LED bulbs and line them up in a row. Now that looks pretty slick.

Take a look at this image:

[​IMG]

The LED headlights are on in the grey car (because the fogs are on.. and I was the one who turned them on haha). You can hardly tell and you wouldn't have guessed if the foglights weren't there to hint at it.

18. krouebi

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi

Thanks for the explanation. While I see from the picture that indeed the projector lens LED's (B + C) are not very visible, I would have thought that the "parabolic cylinder" LED (A) would have been more visible.

Looking closer at the LED-equipped headlight cluster (see attached photo), you have the three low beam LED's (1, 2, 3), the 60W conventional high beam (4), and something (5) that to me looks as a DRL, with either a conventional or (hopefully) LED light source.

Or is it just a "dummy" reflector put there for design reasons?

Attached Files:

19. Paradox

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    That 5th bulb on the part on top is just a parking bulb. I think that's what you're talking about right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

you dont want your HID's in general to be DRL either, unless you want to pay a lot of money to replace them regulary :)

i think big benefit for leds is not only lower energy consumption, but also the fact that you wont have to replace them, which is very costly for HID's.