1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Valencia Orange, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    2006 Toyota prius

1/10/11 60828 Miles
    I had my HV water pump replaced under warranty recall.
    Toyota replaced pump and the invoice showed they charged Toyota for
    1 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Life Coolant

3/18/11 64019 Miles
    I had my water pump replaced under warranty.
    Toyota replaced pump and the invoice showed they charged Toyota for
    1 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Life Coolant

Yesterday they told me because my car had 96128 miles I needed to have a
    *Hybrid Coolant Service due at 100k miles $126.14
    They used 1 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Life Coolant
    and a
    *Eng Coolent Service due at 100k miles $86.41
    They used 1 00272-SLLC2 Super Long Life Coolant

My total bill was $216.67

My question is , if both of the services they performed were suppose to be done at 100k miles, why did I need to have this service performed when they did both services at 60828 Miles and 64019 Miles.

96000 miles minu ssay 60000 miles equal 36000 miles.
    If the service is suppose to be done every 100K miles, I should not have had the service done until my car had 160,000 miles. (100K Miles)

I just need some advice, if the 2 services should have been performed. .

2. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think these 2 services were needed only to make dealer some quick money at your cost.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The two services did not need to be performed at this time.

The factory-fill coolant is good for 100K miles. However after the factory-fill has been drained and replaced, the subsequent coolant change interval is 50K miles.

So, if you want to be faithful to the Toyota service recommendations, then the next coolant change should have been at ~110K miles or thereabouts, which is 14K miles beyond your current odometer reading.

4. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No I see what your saying. Your saying they should have done it already with replacing both pumps previously and you have a good point.

But I surmise when they replace either pump they do not flush the system. They just pull the Inverter pump out, replace it and then top it off. I believe they do the same thing for the water pump. A flush is a whole 'nother deal especially the engine flush which is a royal pain in the tukus.

But anyway I recommend you replace the Inverter coolant every 30,000 miles anyway. And what they charged you for the ICE coolant is real bargain. That's some pretty cheap labor there. My local bandito would charge $200 for either. So for $216. your good to go for a few more years.

Now what you really need to change out is the transmission fluid. You are way overdue for that. Find out what your dealer charges for that. If its less the $150 jump on that.

Enjoy!!

JMD likes this.
  5. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Because they need to flush your wallet in order to pay their bills.

Owner > general manager > service manager > service writer > your wallet

I'd be happy to answer any more questions you might have.

Avi

JMD and usnavystgc like this.
  6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Try AVI for a trans fluid change. He'll give her a good look over.

JMD likes this.
  7. Valencia Orange

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I went to the dealer today, and just as I expected the service manager told me when they replaced the two pumps they don't drain all the fluid. He said they only loose a few ounces of coolant. I didn't want to get in to an argument with him so I left.

I went home and did some research and located the Toyota Instructions for Limited Service Campaign HV Water Pump Replacement and it clearly states the inverter drain plug is to be removed to drain the coolant. It says after the work is done add coolant and perform the proper leak tests.

I also found the Toyota procedure for installing a new water pump. It also says to drain all the coolant.

I wrote a note to the service manager and owner about my findings. I have not heard back from them.

8. nai1ed

nai1ed 2006 Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I try to avoid dealers as much as possible. From my experience, they are the most dishonest organizations around. I once took my Mazda pickup to a dealer to get checked out because it was running rough. They replaced the ignition coil, spark plugs, and performed a tune-up. In all it cost me almost $600. When I drove off, my truck was miss-firing and worse than before. I came back to the dealer and they told me to leave it over night and they will check in the morning. Well, I couldn't do that, I needed to get home, and the dealer wouldn't provide me with a loaner. Long story short, I took my vehicle to a local garage, and he found that my plug wires were on backwards, and my only problem was a bad plug wire.

The dealer refused to take responsibility for what they had done, so I have vowed never to return to any dealer. I'll only go if I have no other choice, and be very suspicious about anything they do or say!

I've heard many stories about how dealers take advantage of people's ignorance about their car. I find that local garages are more concerned about keeping a good reputation, then the fast paced big dealers who could care less.