1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some average questions.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Nersciple, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Nersciple

Nersciple Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As you can tell I'm pretty new to these forums. I mainly came here to read some useful information but as I've seen the knowledge, it made me want to join, and hopefully with time, allow me to be a contributor.

First and foremost, I'm not a Prius owner yet. I hope to be soon, but I have a few questions that I'm hoping to have answered.

1. Is there really anything I should know between buying a 2007 to a 2008? I know almost nothing about the different years, and even with my researching I keep coming to these sites that claim false problems. Also I keep hearing the word "touring" a lot, which I've come to understand as a different suspension and bigger tires, is that all?

2. I plan on going to a dealer. Are their any specific things to check out, ask, or be on the lookout for? Like many others, I don't want to be ripped off.

3. If the dealership offers a warranty, what is the standard and even though I keep hearing from this site that the Prius is very reliable, would it be beneficial to obtain a warranty on a used Prius?

4. I am planning on getting a manual for the Prius, hoping to learn as much about doing maintenance. Has anyone on this site replaced batteries, or done any kind of work on their Prius? If so was it difficult? I hear that the parts can be found at a fair price but labor will destroy your wallet.

5. Just thought to ask this. How does the Prius handle in snow? And has anyone ever had problems getting their car unstuck out of mud, snow, or anything else that would render the vehicle stuck?

Thanks in advance. I just want to know as much as possible before I even head to a dealership, mainly to hear real owners with real experience with the Prius.

2. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah don't get ripped off on price in general do the search so u don't pay to much. And consider warrenty as most of us. It's paid it self after a few repairs. Get the bentely publisher prius manual about 50 on amazon example I got base 08 prius 39000 miles for 13400 out the door don't buy gap insurance. Highly suggest paying cash also. When you get the car. start the moddig Lol
    Learn the pulse and glide method. Do your own oil chnges using Amsoil oil 0-w20 and add filter mag, u can run for about 7000-10,000 miles depending on conditions with oil changes.
    Drop the stock air filter. Drop I n $50-$60 k & n. Filter that is reusable and pay for itself very quick compared to the stock crap. Try getting a car with SKS key system ..it's awesome. Then upgrade the shitty tires to good year LRR fuel tires about $100-$125 a tire. Jack it up with 48 psi front and 50 psi back. Add a Scan guage $150 or so, you can track the system easier. Mod the car with an EV switch $25-80 depending on what you buy.

1 person likes this.
  3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Some average answers (in no particular order):

YMMV, yes, $4/gallon, sometimes, 50.7mpg, and it's never been proven.

:p

4. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi S..G..,

The Prius is OK in the snow, in a metro area with all-weather tires. But, you will want real snow tires in any rural setting north of St Louis.

The Prius is not great on gravel roads, or sand. If you have to go up a steep grade on a gravel road, you probably do not want to use a Prius.

You will want to get a chasis stiffening plate. This make the car very stable under side loads (heavy winds, reverse camber turns, etc). This has been improved in the 3rd Generation Prius.

The touring Prius has the different suspension calibration, but also 16 inch wheels. Which are great for summertime driving, but limits the choices for winter tires. You can expect a 10% fuel economy hit with the 16 inch tire/wheel combo.

There is a service campaign to replace the 2nd Generation Prius inverter pumps. I am not sure where the cutoff year is, but believe its 2004 to 2007. Meaning the 2008 and 2009 cars have the redesigned pump already installed.

The CHS system will squeak on some of the cars. This is covered under waranty to 5 years, 60 K miles. Make sure you evaluate the car in cold weather for the start-up squeeking, if its beyond 60 K miles. Check the service records and see if the CHS water pump is replaced. That would be ideal. Its about a $400 service item to get fixed. The newer cars (2007 - 2009?) had a redesigned CHS pump that does not develop the loud squeeking.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    1) yes and very little diff in MY
    2) i would closely review their warranty coverages.
    3) on a used car, i think it a year or so. dk, but do know that certified used vehicles Toyota sells does have warranty. see above
    4) we have many DIY'ers here, some who have literally rebuilt the entire car. search the archives. one person here rebuilt an entire car from wreckage.
    5) snow is snow and even 4 wheel drive vehicles get stuck. if its an issue, get some good snow tires. gen 2's much more issues then gen 3's. my gen 3 can do wheel spins, my gen 2 cannot

1 person likes this.
  6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pay a tech at a different Toyota dealer to thoroughly inspect the car before buying. As with every modern car so much hard-to-find stuff can be wrong with one it'll make you ill.

The $100 or so for that inspection will pay off far more than an extended warranty. Extended warranties, like all insurance policies, are priced to make a profit for the seller. It is almost certain that you would get back less than half what you paid for it, and quite likely nothing at all. Both financially and for "peace of mind" it would be better to spend the cost of an extended warranty to get a newer and/or lower mileage car, or put it in the bank. If you do buy one at least read the fine print first so you will know what is not covered.

Prius is not an offroad vehicle or a snowplow. The ground clearance is rather low, and the drive system will not let you spin the wheels to dig itself out.

1 person likes this.
  7. Nersciple

Nersciple Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Thanks everyone! I never thought about having it checked out at another dealership, I'll be sure to do that. And the question I asked about getting stuck, I don't live in an area that gets a lot of snow, I just wanted to make sure it could handle it on the day or two that we actually get snow. I think I'm more worried about mud then anything, but I guess it should handle about the same as any other vehicle if you get a bit of traction underneath.

Reading all the post I kind of now worry about strong winds, I'll be moving to a coastal area where hurricanes will be a factor. Would this be a problem for the Prius? I mean, I know I'm not driving a flimsy piece of paper but isn't the Prius lighter than most if not all other vehicles? And if it is a problem, is there a way to put some weight into the vehicle that can easily be taken off, besides actually placing heavy loads inside the car itself?

Thanks again everyone. Knowing that people have literally rebuilt this car makes me rest a little easier knowing that I also could do most of the work and not have to sell my soul at a dealership.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 06 Prius has a curb weight of 2890 lbs. 2nd gens have gotten a little heavier each year. It's comparable in weight to compact econoboxes.

As for "lighter than most vehicles", I suppose so if you look at http://www.epa.gov/oms/cert/mpg/fetrends/420s10002.pdf and see that the avg. curb weight of light vehicles sold in the US at ~4000 lbs., which is bumped up to due to medium sized SUVs (usually 4000+ lbs.) and monstrosity class full-sized ones (5000+ lbs.)

https://priuschat.com/forums/knowle...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html and http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ed-prius-need-help-what-look.html#post1215778 might help.

Yes, there is the limited service campaign on inverter cooling pumps covering certain model years at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...call-alert-2004-2007-inverter-water-pump.html.