1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some dumb (newbie) questions

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by BobMoyer, Aug 9, 2009.

1. BobMoyer

BobMoyer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have been lurking/reading posts here for several months. Last Thursday, my wife and I took a test drive in a 2010...Friday morning we went back and placed an order for a III -no nav. That was the first time either of us were in a Prius. Needless to say we were overwhelmed with questions. The salesman was pretty knowledgable and answered most of our questions. A couple of questions we did not ask was about the three driving modes:
    EV, ECO, and PWR.

If you just get in the car, start it and drive away, what mode are you in?

Is it to you advantage to make a selection each time you get into the car? Is it detrimental to the hibrid mechanics if you do not?

Can you make different selections as you move down the highway or must you be stopped?

Thanks for your patience and sorry if this has already been addressed. The information here is fantastic and more than a little overwhelming. I have searched and found some answers, but not those above.

Bob

2. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1. It depends on the mode it was shut off in. will start in eco if shut off in eco
    You can select a mode at any time but EV wont go in unless certain thinks are meet. ie speed and battery charge.
    If in Eco and you push eco again it goes into normal mode...same with power..ie 1 push to turn on second push to turn off and it will go to normal.
    hope this helps.

3. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The power mode really does help in the hills. I have not really bothered much with the eco button. I try to keep the lower part of the eco bar colored during my drive to get the best mileage. I keep the display on the hybrid system indicator display to help me improve my driving.

4. zippo

zippo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You guys missed the primay answer to the question. There are actually FOUR modes. If you get in the car and drive away - and no one has previously pushed one of those three buttons, you are in 'normal' mode. That would be the default. The EV mode has the extra restrictions. The Eco and PWR modes both can be put on any time and remain in effect until the button toggles that mode off (or, I guess, another button supercedes the first). Other posts do an excellent job of explaining the distinctions between the ECO and PWR modes (and some do not . . .)

I just remember being VERY confused about this point when I did my first test drive - and it does not seem to be something that the sales people are good at explaining to newbies.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello and :welcome: to PriusChat!

When you start the car, it will start in one of two modes - normal/default (i.e. none of the buttons selected) or ECO Mode.

The difference is that the car remembers if you shut down in ECO Mode so it will start up back in ECO Mode. If you shut down in EV or PWR Mode, it will default back to normal mode.

You select any button you want at any time to suit the driving conditions or your mood lol. It doesn't hurt the system in any way. They're all just software controls. It changes the computer programming and tells the car how to operate.

You can select it on the fly. EV Mode is limited to 25mph (if the engine is warmed up) though so above that speed, it won't engage.

1 person likes this.