1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some fuel-related display questions

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Abq Richard, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've got a few questions related to fuel read-outs on my displays:

1. I recently filled up with gas for the second time in my new '06 Prius. The "miles travelled" reset to 0 as the instructions indicated it would. However, the MPG number apparently did not begin calculating MPG for the new tank only. At the end of the previous tank of gas, I was getting 54.9 mpg according to the MFD here in warm Albuquerque. After I filled up and began driving, the MPG figure remained at 54.9, and it only changed in .1 mpg increments, and very slowly, over twenty miles or of mixed city and highway driving. It did not change quickly and dramatically as you would think it would at the beginning of a tank if it were only calculating the milage from the new tank of gas. The manual states that the MPG number "indicates the average fuel consumption after being reset," (p. 168) but that does not appear to be what happened. What is your experience with the MPG figure?

2. I filled up about 10 miles after the last dot on my fuel gauge display started blinking. I was able to get about 8.9 gallons into the tank at a temperature of about 80 degrees. I understand from reading other threads that there is some variation in the amount of fuel that that the bladder in the tank will take, that the amount is related to temperature, and that it may vary up to about a gallon. Still, I must have had 2-3 gallons left in my tank when that last dot started to blink. :blink: Is there something wrong with my fuel guage, or is this normal? If this is now my fuel gauge works, can I rely on there being 2-3 gallons left when the last dot begins blinking?

3. How accurate is the average fuel consuption shown on the MFD? Although I only have a small sample so far and there are various factors that could account for the discrepancy, my display is about 3 mpg higher than my calculated mpg.

- Richard

2. kdmorse

kdmorse Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1. In a 2006 - Miles Traveled is per tank, and will auto reset with every fillup. The MPG readout however is since the last time *you* reset it - and will not autoreset when gas is added. If you want it to track tank by tank, you'll need to press reset before you leave the pump.

Some people prefer it this way, some people prefer it the way it worked in the 04s and 05's.

2. You will never see 11.9 gallons in your tank, and because of the design the the Prius's fuel bladder, it's not uncommon for pumps to shut off 2-3 gallons short of full. As a result, you likely did not have 2-3 gallons left when it started to blink - you might not have had even one. Some folks have reported having as little as half a gallon at that point, as evidenced by the fact that they ran out of gas within 20 miles of the blinking beginning.

If this is now my fuel gauge works, can I rely on there being 2-3 gallons left when the last dot begins blinking? <- This assumption is why so many prius drivers run out of gas...

Additionally - the bladders on newer cards haven't had a chance to streatch out yet. Until you see otherwise, assume it's good for 10 gallons, not 12.

3. Mine's within 1MPG, but that's averaged over 10 tanks. Because it's so hard to figure out how much gas you've actually used (as you've discovered), it's not uncommon for miles driven / gas pumped to be off by 5+ MPG.

-Ken

3. Abq Richard

Abq Richard New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kdmorse @ Apr 23 2006, 09:15 PM) [snapback]244128[/snapback]</div>
    That comports with my experience, and I actually prefer it that way, but they need to rewrite the manual to reflect this. The description of this item in full reads:

"Indicates the average fuel consumption after being reset. When the "Reset" switch is touched or more than 10 L (2.6 gal. 2.2 imp.gal.) fuel is supplied, the average fuel consumption is reset."

It apparently is not being reset. It's bad enough that the salesman at my dealership is a font of misinformation, but I would like to be able to rely on the manual. At least I have Priuschat!

I don't understand how that bladder works, but I wish it consistently took the advertised 11.9 gallons. Two or three gallons less is a BIG difference. I don't like having to stop for gas more often than necessary.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    John1701a suggests assuming your tank gives you 9 gallons of gas to use. Use your average mpg for the tank (which the '04 and '05 always told you) and the miles travelled on that tank, to calculate your remaining gas. His web page even gives you a little chart, for people who have a hard time doing the math with 9.

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Hello, fellow abq'ian !

Consider the 11.9 capacity a fiction, unless you want to run out of gas fairly often.

I use two different methods to decide when to fill up:

1. Prius beeps at me -- I fill up within 20 miles
    2. If I have a reason to push the envelope at the end of a tank (rarely), I multiple my MFD FE by amount I filled up *the last time*, and figure I can go that far safely.

Typical fill-ups are 9.0 +/- 0.3 gallons, good for 500 - 550 miles. No complaints.

6. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I fill soon after the last bar starts to blink, and usually get around 7.5 gallons in, maybe 8 occasionally, when the pump clicks off. I do not try to get any more in, unless maybe another 25 cents worth will get me to an even dollar amount.