1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Hybrid Grille Block pictures

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Hybrid Effects, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Hybrid Effects

Hybrid Effects Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Barcelona red[​IMG]
    Black 3" vent
    [​IMG]
    white 2" vent
    [​IMG]
    Seaside clear plugs
    [​IMG]

What do you think so far?
    There are already a few of these on Prius cars being road tested now.

Franklin

2. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'll buy the Super White one from you, complete with the plugs.
    Give me a PM.

ZC1

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be interested in the seaside with 3" vents...and cut-outs for the fog lamps. But these later versions are MUCH more to my liking.

4. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am glad that there is some interest in these products. I am working on fogs now. Once I have a seaside 3" fog version available I will post a pic. I might be offering a core charge so to say for your original fogs. I am working out the bugs now for what fogs to use.

Thanks Franklin

5. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    WoW! I say it louder.

No new pics but I am working on them.

You should be able to use your original fogs is the concept I am dwelling and acting upon so far. Then you can upgrade the bulbs. But will the lenses crack over the road pressures, rocks, snow and stuff>?.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Are there any photos of an installed part?

7. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture that was previously posted on Prius Chat, it is on a prius chat members car.

I just had a Grille Block Delivered this week and hopefully the purchaser will post a pic of his Grille Block installed as he is a member of prius chat also.

I will try and go by my local dealer tomorrow and see if they will let me use some of there cars as models and I will take pics.

Thanks Franklin

8. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not gonna wait for prices to rise, I ordered one today.
    It seems to be of good quality, fiberglass with protective edge guard.
    I like the OEM looks, not cheesy like other pics and the protective edge guard should keep my car being scratched while providing the necessary air blockage.
    Wasn't there someone on PC who runs with a grille block year around?
    Or is that not recommended?

ZC1

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Thanks for the pics. I run partially blocked year round. On this continent I would expect some of the Canadians or Alaskans fully block year round.

10. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There seems to be no real proof yet that a Prius will over heat with the lower grille blocked.
    I recall one post where some one said they had to pull over to remove pipe insulation, watch out for big hills .:cool:

BUT no really I hope that if your cars cooling system is functioning properly and you monitor your temps with the Hybrid Grille Block installed, we will find out soon as the proof is in the air.

I feel confident in the fact that the grille block now incorporates or can at any time air vented plugs.

At highway speeds there might not be much air flow through the vent plugs but aerodynamics should prevail.

With vent plugs sitting at a stop light say for instance, if the fan should come on there should be air flow through the vent plugs.

It Is up to the customer at there own risk to choose any version grille block they want.

:rolleyes: Did some one say Shark Fin Wheel Skirts?:der:

Thanks Franklin

11. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Better pics of the product installed.
    This Prius Grille Block has 3" vent plugs with glass lenses for the fog Lamps.

[​IMG]

Thanks Franklin

12. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoa!!! hold on there. No I've very interested in your product and am still waiting to buy the fog lamp version when it's available. So I'm not out to trash you or your product.

But the Inverters clearly can overheat with the grill blocked. Just b/c it hasn't happened, that we know of, yet doesn't mean we need any more proof. With my lower and upper grill blocked, in 60F temps at highway speed I've seen the inverters get up to 150F. I removed my grill blocking partially BEFORE they overheated. In higher temps (let's say summer 80s) I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that under certain conditions one could easily damage and/or overheat the inverters with a fully blocked grill and possibly even with a partially blocked grill.

I would recommend anyone getting your full grill block remove it at 50F. Wtih the cut outs you're probably fine up to 60-70F (I'm not sure what kind of air flow those give you). Above 80 I would be hesitant to restrict flow at all without some means of monitoring inverter coolant temps.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The product looks fantastic. I will likely end up purchasing one after I get my Scanguage. :) Nice work!

16. Ringer

Ringer 2008 Gen II

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    :) They do look great. What type of mounting system is needed?

17. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I want what is best for every one and greatly appreciate all input. All these products will be sold with the understanding that the user accepts full responsibility of the installation and I did not mean to sound like I was pushing a fail safe product. It is hard for me to convey my true thoughts at times over the Internet.

As far as attaching the product I have been letting the user do there own installation until such a time that proper attachment process is developed.

One way to attach the grille block is to use double sided stick tape, but it will not be the most convenient way when it comes time to removal. The product prefers to be attached around the outer perimeter to prevent possible distortion over time.

The ultimate way of attachment would be to drill 8 small holes around the edge of the product into the bumper and use small stainless screws.
    I know some people cringe at this thought but there is not any better way to attach this product than this method as it would facilitate a very easy on and off method.

I fiddled around with 8 simple bent aluminum flat strips that hooked into the grille and was going to attach them with 8 small stainless head screws but prototyping brackets and such is very time consuming and results in higher cost, but it can be done pretty easy.

As I said before this product likes to be attached as close to the edge of the product as possible.

I love prototyping and designing product like this and have been doing so for many years. I take a lot of pride in the appearance and my products for I feel I have a talent for creating nice looking Aero components for cars.

The grille block picture at the top is fitted with regular flat glass that is positioned over the factory fog lights and is 3" in diameter it is a working prototype that will be on the road very soon as I have one sold already. There may need to be adjustments made to the diameter of the glass and material used such as lexan or tempered glass.

Any one that purchases a grille block and comes up with a suitable complete installation method and Hybrid Effects aproves of there method will recieve a $125.00 rebate. This is one way that Hybrid Effects can keep it's prices lower.

Thanks Franklin

18. Lloyd9

Lloyd9 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone have stats on 'blocked' vs 'unblocked' milage?
    The comments about over-heating aside what are the other risks or rewards?
    What engine temp are we trying to achive? Would it not be better to change the thermostat?
    Comments about running 'blocked' year round in Canada sparked my interest, however the sun does come out here occaisionally to warm things up.
    Thanks

19. krousdb

krousdb NX-74205

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have had mine installed for several months now (see post #7 for a picture of my car with HGB installed). I installed it in hopes that there would be an increase in highway mileage due to a possible decrease in aerodynamic drag. Unfortunately, I have noticed no change. Mine has no openings and I have noticed no ill effects, even in 100F + temps. The water temp is only slightly elevated, 188F vs 184F in hot weather. Below 90F, I notice no change in water temp. I am not able to monitor the inverter coolent temp so I have no idea if that is affected. I have removed the grille block for the summer (because I can't quantify any MPG gains) and plan on re-installing it in the winter. I did notice that on cool mornings in march and april that the engine did warm up faster and retained heat better during long periods of EV.

20. Hybrid Effects

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought you were monitoring inverter coolant.

Does the radiator and inverter temps collide at some point?

You still have the same frontal area it is just blocked at least it did not decrease mpgs.

Thanks Dan for doing the footwork on this product. I am pleased to know that so far the grille block has no ill effects yet at high temps. Would like to see some test with monitoring inverter temp.

The vented grille blocks seem very promising for year round use. maybe just two vents would do it.

Dan I will send you your Aero hub caps and trim rings soon.

With info like this I am able to input into the design aspects of the new HGB2 in the future.:madgrin:

Thanks Franklin