1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some interesting Recall happenings. Need advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Ryan Bennett, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Ryan Bennett

Ryan Bennett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey everyone.

Took my '09 Prius in for the steering column and water pump recall today.

They inspected the steering column and replaced a bolt. The steering wheel sits slightly to the left now for me to drive in a straight line. This is very frustrating for me, because it (and the alignment) was perfect before I took it in. Why would this happen if they just replaced the bolt? The service department claims it should be fine since the bolt was only replaced, but they're going to take a look at it Monday. Is there anything I should know about to tell them?

Also, just a general FYI, the water pumps for the 04-09 Prius's are on backorder with Toyota now. Apparantly, they've again changed what kind of waterpump gets installed for the recall, and there currently aren't any available (according to Toyota customer service). If you want to take your car in for the replacement, the dealer can't perform the service right now.

I had the transmission fluid changed today, so at least that went as planned....

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

2. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I read the procedure, and my guess is that they replaced the bolt as instructed, but didn't adjust the steering alignment back to "0" like they were supposed to. I brought this up, and the service manager said that the steering wheel adjustment shouldn't have been necessary. Obviously it was. I will print that part of the instructions out and take it with me Monday. Thanks for re-posting

3. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Cwerdna,

Big thank you for posting the service bulletin instructions. That saved my nice person today. I went to the dealer again this morning about the steering wheel being out of alignment. Again, they said there is no way the steering wheel should have moved since they just adjusted the bolt. I asked if he sat behind the wheel and actually checked it out. He said no. Well, then I pulled out the service bulletin and showed him where it plainly states to check steering wheel alignment after replacing the steering shaft bolt.

He then disappeared for an hour. He returned and said "OK, the car is ready". Said the alignment was perfect and a bunch of vague talk about the steering wheel alignment.

Long story short, the steering wheel was perfect when I got the car back. Somebody fixed it, then claimed they didn't to cover their nice person. I don't really care, because it was fixed, but jesus it took two trips and me calling them out on it to finally get it fixed

Needless to say, I won't be going back there for the water-pump recall.

Thanks again so much again.

tomcornell, F8L, dchow007 and 2 others like this.
  4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No problem. I'm very glad that NHTSA makes those documents accessible, although finding them isn't the most obvious. Long ago, I remember seeing people posting them and I wondered how they found the URLs.

F8L, dchow007, SyCo and 1 other person like this.
  5. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had my Gen II 2005 in for the steering recall today.

All they did was change the bolt. But my steering now seems very slightly off. The car pulls slightly to the left; in order to go straight, the wheel needs to be turned to the right by probably 1-2 degrees.

The steering wheel was *perfectly* aligned before I left it with them this morning. I specifically told the techs to make sure the steering wheel was perfectly aligned. Even left a letter on the dash. And still this happens.

Any thoughts?

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Guess I'm lucky. Had mine done last week. Mine only needed a bolt also. And my wheel was straight when i got it back. And tracks fine.
    They did fill the Inverter reservoir right up to the top though. I don't think you can really win these days with the modern car dealer.

Ryan Bennett likes this.
  7. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Should I insist on having the steering wheel perfectly centered? Isn't that a reasonable request?

8. UK-Prius

UK-Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Is this cars from the US only?

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who knows. Most posters are to lazy to fill in their profile.

10. Metrolens

Metrolens Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not sure. I'm in the USA.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Even just changing the bolt can put the steering wheels off center. Unless the steering wheel is somehow locked into a fixed position then once the bolt is removed the steering wheel and upper shaft can rotate very freely. Even just the torque of removing/replacing the bolt could move it.

The actual wheel alignment however cannot be affected by this procedure. So I'd suggest that the "car pulling to the left" part is either imagined (due to the difference in steering wheel position) or else was already like that before.

richard schumacher likes this.
  12. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    No the recalls are for UK vehicles also. Check with your dealer the work is free. Two recalls one for steering and one for inverter coolant pump.

John (Britprius)

13. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, that is a reasonable request. I just had mine done, steering wheel is centered as before the recall work.

DBCassidy

14. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I had my recall work done this morning with no issues noted afterward. They even washed my car when they were done. I waited for just about 3 hours. Considering the animosity generally felt by the PC group toward "stealerships", I would like to formally put in a good word for the dealership I do business with. There is probably a thread or sticky for this somewhere, but let it be known that Desert Toyota in Tucson AZ is a straight-up trustworthy business. Sure, they will charge just as much $$$ for repairs as any other licensed dealership. It is in the nature of these vehicles to be premium priced when it comes to repair or replacement. Any other manufacturer, foreign or domestic, is probably about the same. I wasn't offered any bogus services and never have been. I continue to be a happy Toyota owner.

Patrick Wong likes this.
  15. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm glad to hear you are pleased with that dealership's service department. I have had similar experiences with Precision Toyota.

16. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This is exactly what happened to me. Others have said this, but they didn't recalibrate the steering wheel to "0". They are supposed to do this, even if they swear up and down that the steering position can't change by replacing the bolt. If you look in the Toyota service bulletin, it plainly states that they are supposed to re-calibrate the steering wheel center position after they replace the bolt.

In my case, the service manager told me repeatedly that there was simply no way it could be off from replacing the bolt. I pulled out a copy of the service bulletin and showed it to him, where it says you're supposed to check and re-calibrate steering wheel position. He said something like, "oh", and disappeared. An hour later, I got the car back, and they claimed they didn't do anything. That was bullshit. My steering wheel was "magically" back to perfect alignment.

My guess is that the technician at the dealer covered up his mistake. He fixed it, and didn't tell the service manager. I literally drove to the dealer with f'd up alignment (after they replaced the bolt), and then when I drove it home it was magically corrected. I'll never go back there again. I H A T E taking my car to a dealer, yet you have to when recall work is to be performed. Every time I go to one, they f something up. A good independent mechanic is the way to go in general.

OK, I'm done venting now. :)

edthefox5 likes this.
  17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know...they make you feel...dirty.:ROFLMAO:

Ryan Bennett likes this.
  18. Ryan Bennett

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Absolutely, without a doubt

19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Ryan. Roughly how much was you wheel out of alignment? Given that they apparently took no notice of alignment during the procedure was it like 15 degrees or something really noticeable, or was it only small?