1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some interesting results from the

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Frank Hudon, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Mini Scanner that I installed in my 2k3 Prius.
    highest amperage to the MG2 was a half throttle start 47.5 amps
    highest voltage on a coast 306 volts to the battery
    it's neat to see MG1 reverse direction when the ICE starts
    BSOC is running about 57-64%
    I'll get more temp information on the Block heater as I now have an engine temp gauge
    Max MG1 RPM 6230
    Max ICE RPM 3780
    all this data if from a very limited test, IE. max 13 blocks driving.

2. Frank Hudon

today the following results.
    Max regen 57.3 amps (approx 64 kmh and moderate braking, not friction)
    highest voltage 312 volts, after a long hill and lots of regen.
    interesting as you go thru about 46 kmh the MG2 current requirements drop down to about 9 amps on level ground and just maintaining speed.
    more to come. I've got it programed to give MG2 torque and temp and current draw, and battery voltage.

3. Frank Hudon

I'd love to see Graham Davies do this for the 2k4 as I'll buy one for it too. Just to compare the data.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a group at Yahoo actively working on this...I'm a moderator of the forum, but I'm not really sure why...I'm not technically adept enough to contribute much. Anyway, it'll probably be another year before these things are available but if you want to place a deposit or make a donation to the cause I encourage you to check it out...

Yahoo MiniScanner Group

5. Frank Hudon

I know all about his efforts to do it for the 2k4 and when he's got it, I'll get it. You really don't want to know how much this one cost me landed here in Canada. 193 usd and exchange took that to 265.78 + 4$ processing fee and $43.87 tax on this end, so you can see it's no bargin, but as a mechanic you just have to know this kind of data if there's some way to extract it. That'll give me a year to justify it to the "banker".

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    thanks for the info. i would be very interested in hearing more data as you compile it. you need to post more reports.

also have you checked to see if there is any difference when using "B" mode for short periods on level ground (iow, in a situations that doesnt involve large hills)

7. Frank Hudon

some more results from a longer test drive. Up a mountain. Start at 300' and go to 3,200' in 4.5 miles. Temp at bottom 27C temp at top 20C
    BSOC at bottom 55.5%
    BSOC at top 57%
    Voltage at bottom 290 volts
    Voltage at the top 307 volts
    Engine temp at bottom 87C
    Engine temp at top 100C
    MG2 temp at bottom 58C
    MG2 temp at top 68C
    MG1 temp at bottom 60C
    MG1 temp at top 79C
    Coming down the hill produced the most interesting results on the regen side
    Started at the top with BSOC 57%
    and on the way down at about 1/3 the distance the BSOC hit 80%, until then I was up to about 54 amps regen and had the Voltage as hi as 340 volts. When the BSOC hit 80% I could no longer regen more than about 2 amps and the Voltage dropped to 322 in "D" mode so dropped it into "B" and the amperage went to -18 amps and the voltage dropped slowly to 309 volts. At 80% there was no way to make regen braking work, when you eased on the brakes you were immeadiatly into friction braking.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    oooh so regen cuts off at 80% to prevent overcharging??

well that definitely increases the stock of the EV switch.
    when you know you will be coming upon a big hill you are better off to run the battery down as far as possible.

so getting battery into the green might be counterproductive in some cases....interesting very very interesting.

i will admit to having a tough time getting into the green even on long hills that frequent the sound south area of WA St.

is there anyway to isolate and check on current draws for air conditioning and the stereo?

9. Frank Hudon

this is on a 2k3 so the a/c is a standard clutch as a typical car so I'd say probably about 6 amps. And 12 volts at that. Well they are a smaller clutch so the draw might be a bit higher to get the clamping pressure required to turn the compressor.

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ooh bummer...ok well thanks anyway. i wonder if the hybrid regen system has changed any from your car. the HSD did go through a major rework so i wonder if the regen limitations still apply.

im sure they would to a point, but i was wondering if you calibrated the SOC level with the battery indicator and when the green lights come on. by toyotas website (which doesnt really get into details) it appears that the green bar would be on at about 65% give or take. does that jive with your figures?

11. Frank Hudon

the system has changed a lot, 200 volt battery verses a 273 volt. MG1 puts out up to 500 volts and the inverter uses the higher voltage to power MG2 and the inverter drops it to probably 260 max to charge the battery. This is how they get the extra power for the 2k4 and is one of the reasons I feel the 2k4 has less battery motive power at low speed compared to the 2k3. Until you can get the scanner for the 2k4 this is all speculative. Also the MG1 and 2 speeds are higher on the 2k4. MG2 not a lot but MG1 about 25% higher.