1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some key fob questions from a newbie

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by apostrophe27, May 27, 2010.

1. apostrophe27

apostrophe27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just picked up a 2005 yesterday, and I'm trying to figure out my options for spare keys. There are so many threads about the key fobs, I'm getting dizzy trying to sort it all out, so I'm going to ask all my questions in one post.

Background:
    My car has the SKS system.

I have two SKS fobs that work everything on the car, and I'm trying to come up with a few back ups that can be used to open and start the car.

I'll do all the programming of the fob myself, with the instructions available in other threads.

I understand that I can't program the SKS feature myself.

Questions:

1. It seems that any fob, SKS and non SKS, new or used, can be programmed to work the ignition. Is that correct? If so, ignore the parts of the questions below that apply to the ignition.

2. If I buy a new black logo, non SKS fob, can I program it to work both the doors and ignition?

3. If I buy a used black logo, non SKS fob, can I program it to work both the doors and ignition?

4. If I buy a new silver logo, SKS fob, can I program it to work both the doors and ignition?

5. If I buy a used silver logo, SKS fob, can I program it to work both the doors and ignition?

6. Can any locksmith cut the metal key that's in a new fob, or does that need to be done by the dealer?

7. Will a locksmith have a standard metal blank that can be used to make a copy of the key in the fob?

Thanks.

John

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    In short, you can only DIY program a fob to work in the dash slot to operate the ignition. You cannot program any fobs to operate the doors. This is true whether using the black or silver fobs.

Your dealer can program your Prius to work with a *new* SKS fob for full SKS functions, but you can't do it.

Any key shop or locksmith can cut a metal key to work with your door. They won't have the mini-key that comes with the fob, but a standard Toyota blank has the same profile. Only the head of the key is different.

Tom

3. apostrophe27

apostrophe27 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This thread (sorry, I can't post a real link because I'm new here):

PriusChat Forums > Gen II (2004-2009) Toyota Prius Forums > Knowledge Base Articles Discussion>Finally! How to program a non-SKS key/fob. Detailed!

seems to have instructions for programming fobs to operate the doors.

I'm having trouble determining which fobs I can do it with.

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Some people have had success with non-SKS black logo keyfobs on non-SKS cars. Other than that, you'll have to use a new keyfob.

Note that a "Security Professional" and/or dealer with the right equipment can fully register a used silver logo keyfob. It requires a "Smart Key Reset", which practically nobody knows anything about. Probably costs at least $150 to do the reset (not including the keyfob!).