1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some kind of pump noise?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by willyag, Nov 2, 2011.

1. willyag

willyag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The noise I hear doesn't sound like any I've read about here. Maybe someone knows what it is. First, the sound is a very quiet buzz - buzz - pause - buzz - buzz that repeats over and over again. It sounds like an electric motor turning one way and then going back again. The cycles repeat fast when they first start up and then slow down until it stops altogether. But it is so quiet that when I'm moving, I can't verify when it stops. It doesn't happen all the time, a week may go by before I notice it again. And it sounds healthy, but I'm afraid that it will wear out and then will become costly to fix. I imagine a pump trying to catch up with a leak but that's just speculation. Any ideas anyone?

2. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Sounds like the brake pressure pump. It's hydraulic not vacuum. You can verify this if you just press on the brake without starting the car. It will probably run.

1 person likes this.
  3. willyag

willyag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Thanks David for the suggestion. I tried it and did get a motor sound when I pumped the brakes. But it was a much louder 'Whir' sound which continued for a few seconds and then quit. That sounded healthy to me. I don't know what that was either but it seems to me that it was the brake pressure pump you mentioned. The other, original noise didn't even show up today (maybe?). Appreciate your input though.

4. Hal W

Hal W New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I believe that is the pump that fills the thermos bottle with hot engine fluid. Mine does that as well, not to worry. Hal

5. epoch_time

epoch_time Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Its the coolant transfere valve........Mine also cycles more than ever on my third year (at 37k miles) of ownership........It started around the second year of ownership..at approx 20k miles but was very rare............I would better describe the sound (as heard from the drivers seat) as hee.haw....hee.haw...hee.haw...hee.haw........from under the hood is sounds like click.clack...click.clack...click.clack.....................................I have no warning lights (and prius runs tip top getting 55mpg) and hee.haw...hee.haw... sound cannot be heard over the ac/heater fan if set at 3 or above (fan speed).....................................This valve is a three position valve attached to three hoses........Its purpose is to switch head coolant between heater core and thermos bottle.................It has some kind of resistance encoder that provides three different output voltages (2.5, 3.5, 4.5 volts) so that ecu knows which position the valve is in............It seems that the encoder goes bad in position 3 (prius fully warmed) normally routing heated head coolant to both heater core and thermos bottle simutaniously........................The ecu cannot determine the valves position due to intermittand encoder voltages valve the result is the ecu keeps switching valve from one position to another trying to compute the valve position..........................The documented functions of the valve are PREHEAT where heater core is blocked off allowing thermos coolant to only enter the ice................................The next function is ENGINE WARM-UP where the valve blocks flow to the thermos bottle and opens flow to the heater core..................................The next valve function is DRIVING where flow is both to heater core and thermos bottle..................... The next function is POWER-OFF where the thermos bottle route is closed the same as warm-up position.................The only real problem I've been able to find on PC regarding this valve is some ones heater stopped working the dealer replaced the valve said is wasn't a waranted item.....................I suspect the valves position encoder is something like a variable resistor (pot) whose wiper has scrapped all the resistive coating away form the encoder wheel (in the normal run position) due to driving vibrations, road bumps..etc...........................In my prius the coolant transfere works fine as indicated by scan guage monitoring water temp, engine temp...............So its my opinion that the valves encoder goes bad only in its final run position where is spends most of its life........But as the valve keeps cycling is sure to wear out other encoder position possibly resulting in no heater core heat.............. I'm sorry if this post is hard to read....I've have problems with prius chat, yahoo mail removing my carrage returns, tabs, etc. making the text all one big paragraph.....

GaryInSanDiego and willyag like this.
  6. willyag

willyag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm so sorry it took me so long to get back to my own thread. What you described - the coolant transfer valve - sounds exactly what I hear. I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your answer. One thing I did notice today, which is why I came back, is that as soon as I turned off the AC, the sound went away, And it didn't return when I turned the AC back on. I noticed the noise under the hood once as coming from the drivers side somewhere around the coolant thermos tank. So what you describe sure could be it. Again I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I think you nailed it.

7. willyag

willyag Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    So... I did replace the coolant transfer valve and took apart the old one. There was the little position sensor as you described. The mechanism showed no real signs of wear, amazing as the number of times it cycled. The sound has gone away. I bought the valve for about $80. Anyone who wants to do this job should have an $60 tool called "Cable operated hose clamp pliers" as it is near impossible to do the simple job of detaching three hoses otherwise. Prepare to catch a gallon of antifreeze. Consider the job to cost $140 and keep the pliers. You'll need them again.:)