1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some mileage numbers on my ‘02

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by tada, Apr 12, 2018.

1. tada

tada Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I’ve been keeping track of my mileage since I picked up the Prius. Today I took a pic of my latest tank (excuse the dust - large sand storm on the highway today):

1D8575DB-1095-4FA0-A445-F67486A51A8B.jpeg

I was pretty proud of squeezing 50.2 mpg out of this old girl with 190 mile daily commuting - all highway. But alas, the math says it only works out to 48.5 mpg.

My first two fill ups were worse. The first gave me 40.53 mpg. I drove it like a normal car. Drove it at 75 on the highway. Used AC (Arizona). Not tuned up.

Second fill up got me 44.15 mpg. Tuned up. New tires. Aligned. Drove 70. AC in the afternoons.

The numbers shown in the picture are from driving 65 mph, AC still in the afternoon, and as much pulse and glide as I could do in urban areas to and from the highway. I find true glide hard to achieve on the Gen 1. I can get stealth - electric easy, but glide is hard to get and sustain.

So it was a good lesson on driving the car for efficiency. It can’t rival the numbers I see on the newer generations, but it makes me happy.

2. EbonBetta

EbonBetta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    what is the difference in cost between a used 2002 an getting 40 mpg. vs buying a new brand new prius and paying for full comprehensive coverage but getting more miles per gal. I'm not sure the savings are that much when you add the ins and cost in.