1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some naive owners may be using the B instead of the D

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by roperld, Sep 2, 2006.

1. roperld

roperld Junior Member

A student in one of my hybrid courses last year telephoned me recently that he is unhappy with his Prius' gas mileage. In the course of the conversation I learned that he had been driving it most of the time in B instead of D. Since then I have reason to believe that another Prius owner is doing the same thing.

So, we all might want to emphazise to acquaintenances who buy Prii that B is only used in very special circumstances.

Dave Roper

DonT likes this.
  2. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm not surprised. This is a myth that is perpetuated by some Toyota dealers and their sales people. When I took delivery of my car I was told that I had to use the B mode to charge the battery. I was also told that after pushing the power button I had to wait for the ICE to start before I could drive the car, and a lot of other non-sense as well.

A lot of people don't read the owners manual or visit sites such as this one so it's no wonder there is a lot of bad information floating about.

DonT likes this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My dealer didn't even mention "B" haha...

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    DH gets the occasional customer complaining about the transmission sounding funny, and it turns out they're driving around all the time in B.

they're out there.

5. tazman

tazman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I asked my saleman what the "B" was for, he stated it was used for slowing the car down on long and/or steep downgrades. I guess some of them know something of what they are talking about.

Off topic, roperld, my last name is Roper also, I wounder if there is any realtion here. My dad was from Arkansas. You have any relatives that live out there?

6. Aussie56

Aussie56 New Member

Actually the salesman was very honest when I picked up my car last year. He said - "With the Prius it doesn't surprise me that people buying one already know more about the vehicle than I do."

I must admit that I had researched it very throughly before buying one.

7. sew1more

sew1more New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roperld @ Sep 2 2006, 06:20 PM) [snapback]313272[/snapback]</div>
    'scuse me. what exactly DOES the "B" do?

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(key @ Sep 3 2006, 08:09 PM) [snapback]313727[/snapback]</div>
    Engine Braking.

For mountainess decline driving, to reduce the demand on traditional braking.

For added assistance on slippery curves, to reduce the odds of overbraking.

9. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Sep 3 2006, 08:29 PM) [snapback]313737[/snapback]</div>
    Please note that that particular recommendation is NOT one made by Toyota or by many of us here on PriusChat. Your ABS and, if equipt, VSC systems are much much better at preventing over braking than the indiscriminate means that B-mode provides. Although it's unlikely to create harm it's probably best to keep your attention directed at driving, braking, steering than fumbling for the shifter to try to go into B-mode. At least that's my personal view on it.

10. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, I'm no dummy, but I also don't have a CAN-view or any other fancy doodads (other than the standard fancy doodas) to help me get an answer to this:

Is engine braking just a waste of drag? Does it let the spinning ICE just eat up kinetic engery? And if so, isn't light-footed regular-braking better for the long-downhill scenario since it'll use MG2 to slow you down instead and hence pump your battery full of juice?

If that's the case, wouldn't you only want to use "B" if you're trying to avoid charging the battery? (I guess there may be times you'd maybe want to do that)

11. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ichabod @ Sep 3 2006, 08:43 PM) [snapback]313742[/snapback]</div>
    In essence you're correct. There is no fuel economy benefit to B-mode. However, on very long downhill grades where the HV battery will become maximally charged whether you use B-mode or just brake with your foot you can extend the distance you'll travel before it becomes necessary to use the friction brakes.

So, imaginary scenario.... 2 mile long downhill grade requiring some means of keeping the vehicle speed under control during the descent.... (assume SOC is about 4 blue bars at point descent begins)

1)No b-mode, braking with brake pedal only....Since you'll be regenerating at a rate of around 60 amps you'll charge the battery to the green range within around 1/2 mile....at that point regen will drop off dramatically and then the ICE will begin to be spun by MG1 to drain battery charge. Simultaneously you'll be using the friction brakes. All with still around 1 - 1.5 miles to go down the hill. The battery may still charge a little to near 80% before you get to the bottom of the hill, but you'll also be burning charge simultaneously.

2)B-mode....The ICE spins against closed valves to create back-pressure to assist slowing, regen will be at around 20-25 amps and little or no additional brake pressure will be needed from the driver. Due to the slower rate of charge you will probably be able to go 1-1.5 miles down the grade before the battery becomes near-max charged and you need to start using friction brakes, meanwhile the B-mode will continue to assist in slowing even though regen will dramatically drop off.

Net result is a full charged battery, no fuel burned in either case, using B-mode gives the advantages of not requiring as much drive input on the brake pedal and less use of the friction brakes.

However, as you surmised, this 'advantage of B-mode' only becomes evident in those cases where the battery will become maximally charged in both B-mode or non-B-mode driving. If it will not become maximally charged then just using the regular brake while still in D is best.

12. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(roperld @ Sep 2 2006, 07:20 PM) [snapback]313272[/snapback]</div>

Hi Dave, you can get into all the techno stuff about what happens but in the real world my 06 option 8 prius will not allow me to use cruise controll if in B. I can't image anyone who obviously pays some attention to gas milage not using cruise controll if the car is equiped.

13. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Sep 3 2006, 09:40 PM) [snapback]313807[/snapback]</div>
    That happened to me one night. I couldn't get cruise control to work and nearly drove into the Toyota dealer to complain. I saw I had accidently slipped into B mode and changed to D. Up until then I didn't know cruise was so inhibited. Back to recurrent training......

14. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Cruise control does not work in either "B" or, for that matter, going downhill. "B" is used to slow the car on long downgrades (when CC will NOT work), or when you prefer not to use your brake pedal to slow. All of my earlier cars WOULD slow to keep CC on downgrades. The Prius will NOT.

15. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    I find this a little hard to believe. For starters, how are they selecting "B"? You can't select "B" unless you're in "D" to start with, so are you saying that these people are doing a double-select - moving the selector down and right to select "D", then release, then down to "B", every single time they come out of park or reverse? What do they think "D" is for?

16. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yep, I have no doubt there are people out there that are just driving in B-mode. All sorts of strange things can happen when people are ignorant and don't RTFM.

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Sep 3 2006, 11:10 PM) [snapback]313849[/snapback]</div>
    interesting down and right for D. In NA it's down and left for D and down for B and yes you can't select B with out it going into D first.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, they'll select D then when they want to charge, select B then forget about it and leave it in B

19. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  20. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    OK I know this. I had a right Pro clip and it did not fit well for me. When it fell off it had the tendency to drop straight down and put the car in B. This happened a few times and I tried to glue it back on the dash. On the last time it fell off on the Freeway and put me in "B" mode and I preceded down the freeway. In stop and go traffic I lost 5 mpg. B is no place to be except in a long steep down hill.