1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Q's on our brand new 2011 Prius II

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by gwandsh, May 26, 2011.

1. gwandsh

gwandsh New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi all

We have just gotten our new car, and had a few questions regarding some of the after-purchase options.

As far as the paint sealant/ interior stain guard offering from the dealership goes, we think we'll opt for our own Interior treatment using a good Scotchguard type product. We are considering taking it to a 3rd party specialty shop to get the exterior paint sealer/protector put on, tho. The exterior treatment we saw is a little over half the price of the Dealers' offering. Any gotchas to be aware of for either of these choices? Recommended products?

We contacted Troy after reading posts on these forums regarding extended warranties. As far as I can tell, if we were to purchase say, an 8 year extended warranty, it basically fills in the 5 year span between Toyota's 3 year warranty and the specified 8 years. In other words, it doesn't add 8 years to your warranty from the time you buy it, right?

And as for the timing of the extended warranty purchase... the dealer is hinting that the purchase is time sensitive, but I see nothing in any documentation that says I can't think on it for a year, then buy it at that time. Anything I am not seeing in the fine print on this one - other than the specified 3 year cutoff on the offer?

Thanks all to those who have traveled this path and can give feedback.
    Cheers

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! I just Scotchguard from a spray can myself. It has held up well and going on two years. Probably refresh it this summer. Didn't bother with any extended warranty myself. I just save a little on the side to repairs later.

Enjoy the ride.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On our last car I put several cans of ScotchGuard into the upholstery. On our current Prius I did nothing. I really don't think it makes a big difference. I'd skip the extended warranty, just a headache. If you''d like to spend a bit extra, I'd recommend the block heater.