1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Questions on Battery usage....

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by EbonBetta, Mar 30, 2018.

1. EbonBetta

EbonBetta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok, I bought a used 2002 Toyota Pirus. This Much you all can gather from my previous posts. I am new to The prius so if some of my questions are odd let me know. Sometimes in the morning the battery dhows that it is less than full. The car will start band by the time I get to dropping My grandson at his school all looks well. I know I have been having an issue with the codes 1636,3002 and 3006. From some of what I read the 1636/3002 seems to comeup as a problem with older model prius's . So I am conswidering buying a good/used ecu off of the bay. How to change it is the problem. What must I disconnect to do so... Or will purchasing the repair manuals actuallt show the steps needed ?
    The 3006 seems to be a traction battery issue.
    Here is where I am trying to glean info Since I am new to the prius I am not 100 % sure how much drain the battery should show during usage in trips. Some times I can be sitting with the a/c on and the battery will show it go from full to half full and then the ice come on and starts charging. But Since I am ew to prius I do not know if the amount of drain I see would be considered normal. I am in the high desert of souther california so while we have nice warm afternoons. Mornings can be a little nippy and having the heater on and the read window defogger maybe a drain. But as I said To know if the amount I see is normal is hard to tell.....

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds normal to me. how are your mpg's?

3. EbonBetta

EbonBetta Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Since I reset the trip meter and have started recording my milage. The car says 40.9

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    can't argue with that.(y)

5. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The "state of charge" in your HV battery will vary all over the place while you are driving it. The battery is there to be used when needed and that makes it less than "full" until it gets recharged during periods when it is not needed for propulsion.

Same thing applies to how "full" it is when you park it; sometimes it will be lower than other times.

It should NOT lose any charge while just sitting overnight though......or even over a few days.

The codes you are seeing might indicate a problem developing with the HV battery but you need to make sure that your 12 V battery is healthy first........because it runs the computers that create the codes.

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very true, if the HV battery is in good condition. However, using the graphic on the Energy Monitor screen is not a reliable way to monitor if the HV battery SoC is changing between shutdown and startup.

The only reliable way to gauge whether the HV battery is draining overnight is to use a proper monitoring tool.