1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some Questions

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by joeb24, Jan 18, 2010.

1. joeb24

joeb24 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Upon exiting my Prius, if I lock the doors by pressing the door lock button on the armrest, will the hatch door also lock if it has previously been opened, or do I have to lock the rear hatch door separately?

Is there an aftermarket antenna available to replace the roof antenna, so that I don't have to worry about removing the antenna before going through a car wash?

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Yes, pressing the door lock button inside the vehicle will lock all the doors including the rear hatch.

The shop here on Priuschat sells a sharkfin antenna. But my dad goes through a car wash we have around here and never had a problem (He does not remove his stock antenna)

http://priuschat.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/12/products_id/30

1 person likes this.
  3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow I've been waiting to buy their shark fin antenna but it never goes below $74....

4. Blind Guy

Blind Guy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You should give serious consideration to taking your Prius through a Car Wash that uses rolling brushes. These brushes can not only damage your antenna, but your other trim pieces, as well as scratch your paint.

Just Food for Thought.

David (aka Blind Guy)

5. Joe166

Joe166 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    V
    You are certainly right about that, but in the winter, I wonder if it isn't better than leaving all that crud on the finish.

Automatic brush car washes have caused a whole lot of damage to paint and trim.

If you have to go automatic, go with the brushless if possible.

I get a lot of pleasure "handling" my car while I am washing it and it gives me a chance to inventory the outside and see if there is anything amiss, but I promise you that I would not even consider doing it in the winter if I weren't in South Florida.

My wife is convinced that I do it mostly to get away from my other responsibilities inside the house, and she is probably right.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the winter I don't use the hose--just a few buckets of water & a sponge.

7. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You should also be aware that FM reception with the shark fin antenna is significantly worse. If you live in an area with marginal reception, you will lose some stations entirely.

8. twrublewski

twrublewski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My hatch on 2007 model locks as well. I have had no problem with leaving the small antenna on for car washes so far.

9. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A good solid layer of salt and dirt protects your finish, just like the dirt on your skin protects you from infection.

Do they still really have drive-through car washes? I wouldn't dream of taking a Prius through a car wash--that would be a nightmare!

(PS-I use plenty of sudsy water and a sheepskin mitt to wash my cars; the mitts last forever.)