1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Some sort of noise when Solar Ventilation kicks in?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Pekkle, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Pekkle

Pekkle New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have searched before I post this thread.. :D
    I was driving my bro's Prius III with solar roof. I sat in the car for about an hour while waiting. I noticed there were some kind of weird noise before the fans starts to kick in. Is that normal?

Also one day the solar ventilation would just run and run none stop, which feels pretty cool while you sat in the car. But the very next day the solar ventilation would just start and within 1 to 2 seconds it would turn off again and after about 30 seconds or so, the noise came back and the fan starts turning then stops again only after 1 or 2 seconds.
    Is there something wrong with the system? Why the noise before the ventilation kicks in? and why the start and stop in such a short amount of time. Even though the air flow was pretty strong, it would still stop. (I don't think it was because of lack of sun). Any help is greatly appreciated..

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Noise is normal (the one prior to the fans coming on). It's probably just the motors "turning on" so to speak to spin the fans.

It will depend on the amount of solar energy it can gather. Even something as simple as placing your hand over the solar panel will affect output.